Detectors

TonyTX(MXT)

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2003
TX
I have been interested in detecting for awhile and went as for as purchasing a Whites Classic II SL a few years ago. I didn't get to use it much, just a few times. Now that I'm trying to get more involved, I'm wondering should I stick with the Classic II or try something else out there? I'm interested in coin detecting. Thanks for any comments, Tony

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For what its worth, you may as well use what you have until you decide you like the hobby or want to get out of it. It is a common story that people buy a detector thinking that they'll find 'the big one' right off, but then discover they don't like to dig a lot or get discouraged digging trash. You'll have to dig some trash to get some goodies no matter what detector you use, and if you have one that is paid for that's one thing you don't need to buy right off. After you are familiar with it and the types of places you prefer to hunt, you'll have some experience to rely on when making the decision to get a different machine.

Many of my better targets could have been found with a detector like the one you've got.

Dave (Pa)

Mar 19, 2003
Dunmore, Pa.
I agree! If you've got a detector then use it.....

It's great to have the newest, bigest, bestest, but there's no sence in spending money you havn't found yet! Get use to it, learn to use it, learn what you like about it and don't like about it, and make a wish list.

Like' boy wish my wife would take the leash off!

OP
OP
T

TonyTX(MXT)

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2003
TX
Thanks for the replies! Actually, I wasn't planning on "getting" the top of the line or best one out there, maybe something like the Treasure Ace 300 that has a simple ID display system and had decent reviews. The wife thinks she has some interest in this area also. Thanks, Tony

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't rush in!!Take your time and get a tesoro,fisher,whites,garrett or ANYTHING but them cheap knockoffs.You get what you pay for is a fact of life and really important with detectors.Tons a au 2 u all-John

dodgers11

Jun 4, 2003
Tennessee
Try to find a MD club close to where you live. 1st of all you'll meet new people that have the same interests, plus they will be more than happy to show you a few tips and tricks to help you get started.

D

dalef

As lab rat and others have said, even with the newest most high tech detector, you'll still wind up digging some trash. I have a DFX and am thinking about getting another detector that DOESN'T have a meter or depth indicator because I tend to dig all targets anyhow. One really helpful item I purchased was a pinpointer. Now when I dig, I find all of my targets. Found my first bullet this past weekend and would have missed it without the pinpointer.

OP
OP
T

TonyTX(MXT)

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2003
TX
Thanks for all the replies! I went out Saturday with the CII to the middle school track field down the road. Looked around a bit under the bleachers and found 32 cents in clads! Ground was as hard as a rock and difficult to dig in. I'll be looking for a better spot to go to soon. Also found a local detector club in town so I will be going to a meeting in the near future. I'll give it a go with the Classic II and see how it works for now. Later, Tony

OP
OP
T

TonyTX(MXT)

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2003
TX
Thanks for all the replies! I went out Saturday with the CII to the middle school track field down the road. Looked around a bit under the bleachers and found 32 cents in clads! Ground was as hard as a rock and difficult to dig in. I'll be looking for a better spot to go to soon. Also found a local detector club in town so I will be going to a meeting in the near future. I'll give it a go with the Classic II and see how it works for now. Later, Tony

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You might try that track field again, but instead of under the bleachers, try under trees (if there are any) and along the outskirts of the field lines where people would sit and watch the competition. I dig with nothing more than a screwdriver and try to keep the hole small enough I can just pinch it shut when I'm done, so it doesn't look like a war zone afterwards. Good luck!

OP
OP
T

TonyTX(MXT)

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2003
TX
I may get to give it another try this weekend. If the ground was a little softer I think I could have done a little better. After several hours of that type of digging I decided to try some live oaks on the other end of the field. It was as hard as under the bleachers! I use a small screwdriver and trowel. There is bound to be some softer soil there, I'll just have to find it! I did enjoy my self even though I only found 3 dimes and 2 pennys! Talk with you later, Tony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions