How To Use Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Discrimination Settings??

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah I can help you -- once you go into the "discrimate" mode --everything lower than the level you set it at will be missed --think of it as a metal ignore level knob* first metal ignored is iron * then comes aluminum* closely followed by gold ( aluminum and gold have very close conductivity ratings) which is how a detector sort one type of metal from another * to find as much gold as possible with as little tabs / trash digging as possible --- get a gold item and a pull tab * put them on metal free dirt about 3 feet apart (check in all metal mode that the ground is metal free first)---now switch over to disc mode via the toggle switch*--- lower the disc knob level to 0 --full left) -- run over both items --beep beep --now slowly up the disc level to the right while waving the coil over the tab until it no longer rings up -- now check and see that it the gold item still rings up --if not very very slowly drop the disc level until it does "beep" on the gold item ---the gold should make sound crisp and clear "beep" and the tab should either not ring up or come in rather "broken up" sounding --the sound differance should be quite noticible

try it and let me know how this works for you at this setting level you will lose iron items and aluminum items ---but the rest of the metals like nickle , gold, copper and silver should still remain "in" and findible

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep .....what Ivan said. :icon_thumright:

Also......
Put different japanese coins under the coil to see how they sound, sometimes you have to adjust the sensitivity knob as well as the discriminate knob to tune it in just right. (typically you can raise the sensitivity while in disc or tone mode) You will lose some depth capability when not in all metal mode however.

GG~

d3t3ctr0n

Apr 17, 2013
Texas U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like a great idea Ivan. I didn't think to try that to set the unit. I appreciate the advice!

Steel digger

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all, so I have a question; maybe a problem. I was playing with my discriminate today and testing it on my wife's white gold wedding ring. It would not detect even with the toggle on disc and knob all the way to the left. Any ideas? Bad coil? Bad quality ring?(which would be irritating as for the ring's cost) I have found silver coins at the highest setting, but gold I've heard is less conductive. Just makes me wonder how many gold pieces I've passed over in max disc that I missed because of this.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good question...I also have a BH Tracker IV and have wondered the same thing...anyone have the answer?...HELP!...

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sad fact is, if you use discrimination for anything more than iron then there is a good chance you could be missing gold. Gold can read anywhere from foil, pulltab, nickel, to zinc. People who find gold usually have to dig a lot of trash.

Beeping_Rich

Jun 25, 2014
Green Cove Springs, FL
Detector(s) used
Fingers, waiting for my BH Tracker IV to come in....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was a great read, my first detector will be here on the 23rd and ofcoarse I am going with the BH tracker IV...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread