help with new Troy Shadow X2

dirtdog

Nov 14, 2006
Hi Everyone
Just get my self a new metal detector a Troy Shadow X2 javascript:void(0);
I'm new to the Troy but not to the hobby, I've been md senses 2000.
Any Tips, Tricks, or Advice you can throw my way would be a great help.
I am interested in knowing how to keep from digging all those pesky round
bottle caps and pull tabs - I am always saying the mantra
(pull tabs are my friend) but I just keep finding them!!!
I live hear in Philadelphia Pa. and will be hunting wood, parks and maybe a beach or two.
My other machine is a Minelab Sovereign GT a great beach machine.
Hope you can help me get started with my new to me Shadow X2.
dirtdog/Richard

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Richard. :hello2: :hello:

I can't help you with the Shadow X2 as this might me the only detector I have never used. But someone here should have some experience with it. On dry land where the chances of gold rings is less than at the beach you can save a lot of digging by disc out the pulltabs so long as you know that your chances of finding anything but a huge gold ring are very slim.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you can really do is crank up the disc, but then you will be missing a lot of other goodies. I don't think you can go high enough to disc out the round aluminum caps and if you did you would miss most everything! The Shadow X2 is pretty simple, not many tricks to it. Don't believe the coin check for older coins, it will reject some of them. The X2 is a great little machine, the only other advice I can give is to use it and get to know it!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a Shadow X2 for about a year. Like others say, if you try to descriminate out the bottle caps/pull tabs your going to be missing a lot of gold.

I found most, but not all bottle caps have a simular sound, (for me it is like a brrapp) old ones are somewhat different sound.

Curious, why aren't you using the Sov GT, it is much more then just a beach machine?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread