I just purchases a ace 250

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if it not posted and theres no rules against it in the town / county regs and laws then it should be ok -- that said it never hurts to check to be on the safe side -- often grounds keepers are not the best folks to ask however * they hate detectorist as a general rule mainly because of slob hunters who do not fill in their holes ---Rule #1 alway be sure its legal to hunt there #2 ALWAYS fill in in your holes #3 be polite to folks even nitwits ( its hard to be nice to jerks at times I know)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
You will never ever get any city person (desk clerk, gardener, etc....) to say "yes" to the question "can I dig holes in the park?" I mean, c'mon, be serious. Because even though you know that you won't leave any trace of your effort, the only word left in their mind is "holes". You will always loose that battle, as there is, undoubtedly, rules about defacing public property, or disturbing the vegetation, and such verbage. In fact, you will often times get a "no" simply asking "can I metal detect" (without even mentioning holes) simply because they envision geeks with shovels, or simply say "no" because...... you asked. I mean, afterall, the mere fact that you ask them this, infers that something is inherently wrong with you, or your hobby, that you had to ask, to begin with. Doh! ::)

But metal detecting goes on all the time in city parks and schools, and no one cares. If you are discreet, don't leave any marks or holes, go at low traffic times (early AM, etc...) then no one tends to care. I personally never ask at any park I come to. If it's not posted, and not an obvious historic monument, then I go. But if you are skittish, look up the rules for yourself, don't ask. City codes are usually on city websites, or available for viewing on the counter at city hall. Do a key word search on "metal detecting" or whatever. If it's silent on the issue, then so be it :tongue3: The reason not to ask in person "is metal detecting allowed", is because you can get someone to tell you "no", when there is no actual wording to that effect. They can simply treat your question as if you were asking their permission. I've seen that happen before where persons get "no's" at parks or in cities where no one ever had a problem before. And then you risk that same desk-bound clerk (who perhaps never gave the matter thought before, and would never have even paid attention), to all of the sudden start noticing and booting others!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have detected a lot in MI and never had a problem detecting in a city park. Do not raise questions by asking someone if you can detect there. If you ask they will tell you no. If there is no sign there saying no detecting allow fo for it. Make sure you cover your holes then when you get up step on them to make sure they are tight. Pick up the trash that you dig and throw it away or take it with you and you should have no problems.
Where are you at in MI. I am always looking for new places and a new detecting buddies. I am over by the MI, IN, and OH lines......Mat

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
Welcome to Tnet, their is a huge wealth of info here.
The Ace 250 is a great machine, I enjoyed mine very much. It will detect with the best of metal detectors. The more high priced unites just have more bells and whistels. Learn your machine, and you will find a lot of coins, all kinds, and other good stuff also. Have Fun, and File your holes... ;D

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250
I personally don't ask about our city parks. But I do make friends with the ground keepers and joke with them about They can empty the cans and I'll clean underground.. They can give you some good leads as to where things have happened in the park..

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
congrats on your nice new machine and i hope you find a bunch of great things :icon_thumleft:
teddy

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
The Ace is a really good detector. On our monthly club hunts I am surrounded by green and yellow detectors. I had the only White's and there was one Fisher. Of course, they are made right here, lol. Good luck, hope you enjoy detecting! :icon_thumleft:

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
When I ask if I can MD in the park I don't use the phrase, "Dig holes in the lawn." It gives some people the impression of gopher holes popping up around the park.

I do ask if I can MD. I get favorable responses that way.

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX
Just go detecting and you will find nobody with bother you. I hunt my courthouse all the time and the police station is right next to it and they just ask if I found anything. Just be polite and clean, fill all holes and they won't mind a bit. I do this in O.C Ca.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rando said:
uh.. ::)

I would check with them. (city)

Individual areas have different regulations.

Michigan doesn't really have a lot of regulation above using common sense.

I would start out with your yard, and burying some test pieces to get to know your machine.

And the fact that you don't LEAVE the hole as a hole, is pretty important.

Along with asking permission.
agreed

S

stefen

4-H said:
Rando said:
uh.. ::)

I would check with them. (city)

Individual areas have different regulations.

Michigan doesn't really have a lot of regulation above using common sense.

I would start out with your yard, and burying some test pieces to get to know your machine.

And the fact that you don't LEAVE the hole as a hole, is pretty important.

Along with asking permission.
agreed

On the other hand, if you want to ignore any advice, go forth and dig.

However, if you get arrested, I wouldn't be posting your Gray Bar Hotel bonding and nappy time experiences with Bubba...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
dougadam said:
I cant wait to get started.

Do you ask the city if you can dig holes in the parks lawns?

Doug

In a park, most the coins I find are within an inch or so below the ground. To get them out I'll use a flathead screwdriver instead of digging a hole. Just use the screwdriver to probe the ground for the coin then find the edge of the coin and pop it out of the ground. Helps if you have a hand-held pinpointer. If a coin is deeper I usually won't dig a plug if the park has a lot of traffic.

-swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread