A metal detector that read coins against chain link fences.

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
In an article in Western and Eastern Treasures Magazine in 1992, a coin shooter was able to use a Tesoro Silver Sabre II against chain link fences and actually rub the detector against the fence and detect coins lying next to it without interference. It this the only detector that can do this? I can also use one that can read against metal playground equipment. Article September 1992 - page 15.
Gretchen

Upvote 0

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My minelab can be disced out using the Disc and Notch controls to where i can hunt near, against and underneath chainlink and still nail coins but for jewlery, forget it. For the chainlink there is no interference but i lose my threshold buzz but still get good tones on coins but cannot get near the fence posts. As for playground equipment or their underground anchor plates forget that also as I cannot discriminate enough on my machine to cancel those out and have to stay around 3 feet from them. Also metal picnic tables are a pain so i just lift them up or flip them over and sweep underneath where they were and then flip them back over right side up again.

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoops. I meant to say fine jewerly. The Disc is set so high to to deal with the chainlink that you will not get fine jewlry readings because they are cancelled out. A heavy gold ring or chain would probably sound off. Hopefully that scenario will present itself soon as proof:D

C

Cladbag

Interesting.. I noted similar problems..I own a XLT and have difficulty around metals like that. Except that if I can accurately swing only one direction exactly paralell to a smooth other metal my automatic ground balance machine will try to balance out the metal and the ID tone will still note the coin below.. I have most luck with merry go rounds and such.. I cannot X target but can paralell target with greater success..

Good luck.
Dan

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good example of this just happened today. Was hunting a baseball field with chain link around the perimeter of field. On the nside near homeplate are wooden benches for the players butted up against the chainlink. I turned the Disc and notch up enough to cancel the chain link and hunted between the chainlink posts on the other side of fence running coil underneath gap of fence and the grass/ground so my threshold buzz would go silent. Bing, bing, bing i had a good tone and checked my meter which was reading 516. I knew it was either a quarter or a pulltab so i start digging. Up comes plug, nothing in plug so i start removing dirt and placing on towel and looking in hole. There in bottom of hole is newer nickel. I run coil over dirt on towel and get tone so i start sifting by hand and find newer penny. Check pile again and nothing so i run coil over hole again and still get good tone to left side of hole. Start digging at side with fingers and bam there is quarter :) All newer clad, but three coins in one hole directly under fence is pretty neat i think.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread