Time To Replace The Coil - What Do You Think

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
While on the chat room a guy ask why his detector was falsing so much. Everyone gave there opinions on what to do and to check out. He did mention that the coil had a few cracks in it and posted photos. Told us he hunts mainly around rocks looking for silver ore. So what do you think, think it's about time to change the coil.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 363
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 361
Upvote 0

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Fill if full of 2 ton Epoxy and run it another few years.

Tico14

Jun 16, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, 1266X, Troy Shadow X-3, Tesoro Deleon, Silver Umax, Whites IDX-Pro (Mr. Bill's Mods), Silver Eagle, Modded Classic 1,
Nothing wrong with that coil that a 30.06 wouldn't take care of.

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Some JB Weld and a new coil cover, should be good as new.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I only wish my coil was in that good of shape. You have quite a few more years left in your coil. Three quarters of my coil bottom is gone and I packed it with roofing tar and it works perfect.

OP
OP
ron_c

ron_c

Mar 13, 2009
Noth Central Texas
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL, G2, Compass Coin Scanner Pro, Garrett BFO Discriminator, Garrett Pro Pointer,White's TRX PP, XP Gold Maxx Power, White's IDX Pro, Omega, Tesoro Vaquero
I ask him about using a coil cover and he said he had one but thought it was only put on the coil after you were done detecting to "protect" the coil.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Let's see the coil cable! At that usage level it could be a real problem. It didn't even start in epoxy!
Rich

stimeygraves

Sep 18, 2009
Maryville Tennessee
Detector(s) used
whites DFX with a sun ray DX-1 probe, whites eclipse 950, 4x7 excelerator, 6x8 SEF, 10x12 SEF and 12x15 SEF coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a new coil and coil cover and this time keep the cover on all the time :violent1:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you mistreat the coil by swinging it while hunting in the rocks you should start a new hobby. I wouldn't waste my time fixing it as it would have the windings knocked out of allingment enough to change the whole operation of the coil.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Now this guy keeps his coil to the soil... Epoxy it and throw a coil cover on it.
That's exactly what to do :thumbsup:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread