Old 1925 School no coins?

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i hunted this the college bulit in 1925 the front yard, is about 10 acres old oak trees out front, school still being used today, but i hunted it first time today,for 4 hours, found no wheat pennies,no silver coins, very little junk, and only 2 clad dimes, did not hunt the whole place yet, but with what im finding, my not go back, i been hunting 25 years, and to go to an old school like this and find no wheats , dont seem right, the detector working , dont know whats wrong, and i know a places is never hunted out, any ideas why this place is like this,,

Upvote 0
R

rvbvetter

Well sure, if he wants to do it the easy way. He can do that. ;D

What I'm talking about is the coin that has nearly become inaccessable. Where as the coin use to be beside the tree. Because of the trees growth it is very nearly on top of the coin. Or under or in the under side of a root 6 in. (sometimes more) in diameter at the very base of the trunk. I've even angled my coil to where it slides on half soil and half trunk. You won't make a living hunting this way, but over the years I've gotten a few doing it. HH

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
It looks like a great site with a lot of ground to cover. I wouldn't give up on it yet...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Same thing happened to me last year. I detected the high school I use to go to, the same high school my mom went to-so it's fairly old. Anyways I didn't find a dang thing,except lots of trash.

It was a very hot day, and I was getting tired very easily and discouraged so I went home. But I do plan on going back this year and trying a different area on the school grounds. There's got to be something there other than pieces of aluminum foil and bottle caps. LOL Good luck and keep at it. :)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These types of sites you love to hate! I have an old church here in my town that I gained permission to search, geared up all week for the hunt on Friday morning....found junk and clad.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I hunted a school campus I ran into the same problem until I began detecting right next to the buildings, especially under windows and around shrubs. Their A/C long ago was an open window and many things were apparently dropped out of the windows. Give it a try. Monty

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
Hey RJ.... that looks a lot like Samford.? I went there once.? Too much open space and not enough people.? The pickings are going to be thin anyway that you look at it.? You need old pictures.? Find out where all the clubs met outside.? And check where you see cars parked in the old photos.? Keys and change were usually in the same pockets!? Check the old smoking areas, and the places where people would have lunch outside.

newtocoinhunting

Jan 16, 2006
Nebraska, USA
I suppose if it is Samford, and my web searching was accurate, it was Howard College until. I don't know it is on the same site, but you might check out these books (located in Samford's Special Collection) to get some maps of the older campus:
Sixty Years of Howard College, 1842 - 1902 by Mitchell Bennett Garrett LD2281.22 G3 1927
160 Years of Samford University: For God For Learning, Forever by Sean Flynt LD4881.22 F59 2001

They also have Howard College Catalogues beginning with 1845.

But, in any case, research is the best advice.

Smitty312

May 27, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found a Howard College button in Texas. It was moved from Marion in 1887 and became Sandford U.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know ur feel I got permission to hunt the first high school in my city which is is now a district court the school was built in 1925 . Like you hunted for an hour and q 1981 nickel and trash. The football field is all pave the only hunt able place is the front so it's been hit hard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread