Old 1925 School no coins?

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
i hunted this the college bulit in 1925 the front yard, is about 10 acres old oak trees out front, school still being used today, but i hunted it first time today,for 4 hours, found no wheat pennies,no silver coins, very little junk, and only 2 clad dimes, did not hunt the whole place yet, but with what im finding, my not go back, i been hunting 25 years, and to go to an old school like this and find no wheats , dont seem right, the detector working , dont know whats wrong, and i know a places is never hunted out, any ideas why this place is like this,,

Upvote 0

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Fill dirt, poor students? ???. Try going to the college library and look at pics of the original campus-try and compare with the current campus. Maybe you're missing something.
Another thought, check around the biggest trees you can find there diameter wise. Never new a college student that didn't like sitting at the base of one while relaxing between classes or after a long hard test.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
R of A,

What Stoney said.

Would also check library, yearbooks, for where other events were held off campus. Could lead to better location.

have a good un......................

OP
OP
rjnail

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
im going back in the morning,tenp here will be in the 60's ;D i have the fisher coinstrike, thats what im using,, let you know what i find, also will take pics of the place, tnks

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rj....It wasn't hunted out! You found two dimes! ;D

Good Luck on your trip tomorrow!!! Hope you find something good!!!!

Nana ;)

PAdigs

Nov 22, 2005
S.E. PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had a recent experience. I think a lot of those old places have already been hunted and while not totally impossible to find old coins, it will just take a lot more persistance and a bit of luck.

Best of Luck :)

R

rvbvetter

That college makes no cents.

Are the roots showing on the older trees? If not, then most likely there's been fill dirt added. If some trees show roots and some don't. Then I would hunt the trees with exposed roots. HH

OP
OP
rjnail

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
yes on all the trees the root well above the ground, will be back there today and will take photos , leaving in 2 hours thats 11am est..

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
rjnail of alabama said:
im going back in the morning,tenp here will be in the 60's ;D? i have the fisher coinstrike, thats what im using,, let you know what i find, also will take pics of the place, tnks

Oh, I didn't know you had the coinstrike. I have great respect for Fisher.

But sometime just for the heck of it, maybe borrow or get a dealer to let you try out a Tesoro DeLeon. This thing is truly unreal.

Keep us posted on those great finds.

OP
OP
rjnail

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
spent 2 1/2 hours there today, and again a few clad coin, found some small iron down about 6'', but as for wheats cents, silver non, here the photos of the place,

Attachments

• builting date.JPG
    builting date.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 435
  • fr1.JPG
    fr1.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 445
  • fr3.JPG
    fr3.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 440

PAdigs

Nov 22, 2005
S.E. PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rj sorry to hear about those slim pickins...maybe the students have been detecting for their tuition. :o

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
PAdigs said:
I also had a recent experience. I think a lot of those old places have already been hunted and while not totally impossible to find old coins, it will just take a lot more persistance and a bit of luck.

Best of Luck :)

same thing happens to me a lot of the time. i think most of those old schools have been pounded over the years.there ought to be something they missed somewhere around there though if your willing to break your back for it. was there a lot of trash around?

OP
OP
rjnail

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
not much trash, very clean place,

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
yup probably gone over with a fine tooth comb. try some of the more out of the way spots. spots that others may have overlooked. under bushes is a good spot. a lot of times these were added at a later date.also try the outer perimeter of the property. most guys skip that and back in the day the campus could have been larger than it is today. good luck hunting.

PAdigs

Nov 22, 2005
S.E. PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, the most obvious places are the most searched. Next time try the opposite of the most likely places and see what you can find.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes !!
It looks great but sounds so much like so many places I have been....
there is only so much in the ground, after which there is nothing left..
I'm sure that if you dug all deep Iron signals, and spent many hours walking around
this place... SOMETHING would show up in your bag...
But Fellows....
Lets be realistic.... except for new stuff we can find every day...
the treasure hunter for OLD STUFF is a dieing breed....

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
TORRERO said:
Lets be realistic.... except for new stuff we can find every day...
the treasure hunter for OLD STUFF is a dieing breed....

Right on.

I see THers all the time and until I get up close it looks like they're using a weed whip. The only competition I sweat are those fellows (mostly old) who move along slowly and check signals from a couple different angles. The last one I saw was back in about 1986. I got out of the car and watched him dig two old coins in a "hunted out park."

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The college may not look the same now as in 1925. The locations where the students gathered, rested, or lounged may not be the same. Look for older articles on the school preferably one with pictures. Try using a overall search pattern, go over all the ground in a random pattern, no need to overlap swings, walk fast as you are sampling the area trying to get an idea of usage. If you make a find slow down and search thourough. Ask yourself "What about this location made people use it?"

Ed Donovan

R

rvbvetter

? ? ? You've probably got better places to hunt. But if you do go back (like I do sometimes, partly from the challenge and partly from stubborness).? Scan right up against the trunk of the larger trees, and directly over the tops of the large roots, to 3 or 4 feet out from the trunk.? I won't say often, but once in a blue moon I'll find a nice keeper that way, in an other wise worked out park. Makes for some tough digging and retrieval, but it can payoff. But be aware that sometimes a large root can give a false signal. Due to the displacement of ground minerals by the root.? ? ? ? HH

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well lets tell this man the reality of this situation, I know for myself I get greedy when I'm out hunting and find a good place to hunt.
Well that is to say, any place that produces old coins....
I will systematically return again and again, until I don't get any signals anymore, then I don't go back.

But here is an angle that has, in the past found me some few old coins in places like this...
You see the wide open spaces, these are generally so big that even with people pounding a place
to death, if you swing slow and consistant, you may pick a few coins from the really wide open areas.

Not to say the trees are bad, but that is also where we have always been taught to look for
old coins. So to me, the only chance there is if a root grows out and moves something to a point
that it now becomes accessable.
just my 2 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread