Newbie question. OK its 6" deep, now what???

TexasTrash

Oct 24, 2009
North Edge of Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250, Radio Shack Discovery 2000- don't laugh
Newbie question. OK it's 6" deep, now what???

Hey everyone. I just got my ACE 250 and I'm still learning how to use it and how to find stuff. I've searched around and found some great info and videos on cutting plugs and retrieving items from a few inches in the ground. But what about items that are 6" and deeper? What do you use to dig them out? How wide of a hole do you dig?

I'm currently hunting in a schoolyard dating back to 1891 and I don't want to make a minefield outta this place, but I'm getting coin target hits deep down.

Thanks TT

Upvote 0

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Newbie question. OK it's 6" deep, now what???

6" down? Good solid response? Dig it. Fill in the hole. Learn as you go. Just fill the hole.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do some research here or on the web about the proper way to dig a hole, which includes using a cloth or something do drop the dirt on that you've dug so that you can get all back in the hole. Once you've done your reading, start with your own yard - try digging some six inch or seven inch deep holes and see if you can close them back up to look like the yards been barely touched. Once you've gotten it down at home or on a practice plot then its time to start in a schoolyard. Also, ground condition makes a difference on how visible or not your digging will be afterward.

Finally, get yourself a pinpointer - they make it easier to find the target so you can find a small target in a deep hole easier.

Butler

Feb 19, 2009
Northern Colorado
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; X-1 Probe; Brain!

Here's a couple of vids on target recovery. Hope they help!

mcdpoor

Mar 14, 2009
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250

Be sure and do a fine pinpoint to get the smallest area to dig.. Use a probe carefully to locate the target. If it's a coin you can use a couple of screwdrivers and pop the coin out...At six inches that may be tough... Like others I'd dig an nice even plug and recover the object and then replace the plug and in most cases you will not even be able to tell where you dug. Also I would be lost without my pinpointer..

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If you have a good electronic pinpointer and get proficient with it, you can keep the hole diameter small, maybe just larger than your fist. As you dig down and slowly remove dirt from the hole, put the dirt on a cloth or plastic. Then check with your pinpointer.

When you start getting close to the coin, start working really carefully. Pry the dirt from areas where you know the coin is not, to try dislodging it without scratching it. In other words, put the screwdriver in next to the coin, an inch or two away from the edge of the coin, and loosen the dirt. It takes practice. Hopefully you will be able to try it on a few corroded wheats and clads before you get onto something good.

In an area where you are allowed to, just dig a very wide plug with a full size shovel and fold it back. Save the dirt on a cloth. Fill the hole and close the plug, in either case, very carefully (as you already know).

pokerdad911

Mar 25, 2008
O.C CA.
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro - DFX

Id say as long as it is a good target. Cut your usual plug and place a small rag to set dirt that you extract from hole, after you find target put back the way it came out. Should be no problem.

Pokerdad

OP
OP
TexasTrash

TexasTrash

Oct 24, 2009
North Edge of Texas
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the videos and the replies. I guess it's the same as digging a shallow target. Just use the towel to hold the extra dirt. Also, I'm using a small gardening tool and I probably need to switch to a small shovel w/ about a 4 to 5 in head (saw one at Home Depot for $10) on it and cut out a good plug and then use the gardening tool to dig the dirt. Or buy one of those tools like in the video and make a nice neat small plug.

The school Im out now is closed and the windows are boarded up. Currently for sale or lease. So it's not a big deal if Im a little sloppy and practice there. I always get the hole filled and stepped in. But I want to learn how to do it right. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good man. With that attitude you will do just fine. :thumbsup:

GG~

phantomfinder

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2008
Denver , Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's DFX , Ace 150 , Prizm 2

You need to learn the sounds of your hits, like what it sound like for sliver or tin or copper or iron.
The ace 250 does that for you , you just have to remember what it sounds like. learn what is in the area for old hits and do your research , find old photo's . talk to people . Get the tools that make digging and find your target faster . The learning part of hobby is going out and hunting .

Good luck doing your research and finding the things you what to find. :icon_thumleft:

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250

:icon_thumright:
Hey Texas trash, I've been using the Ace 150 for about 3 years and my new Ace 250 for almost a year now and I love them both. Let me give you the best advice I can, test dig, test dig & test dig some more. You will learn more by doing this and save yourself a lot of discouragement and time. Best way I learned was dig yourself several holes with diffrent depths, like 2, 4, 6, 8 10 & 12 inches deep, then get some items to check, like all your diffrent coins, silver and non-silver, watch, penney, rings real and costume jewelry type, then most important get some pull tabs, bottle caps, aluminum foil, lead, and cans. Then bury your items in the holes, one item in each, be sure to space between your holes or you will pick up two in one, don't want that, about a foot apart is ok. Put each item in each hole and listen for the type of tone you get and the strength of it. each item will sound some what diffrent and be strong sound to weak sound the deeper you go. I use all metal mode, once I hear a good target then I will switch to jewelry or coin and see if it still gives me a good signal or changes, this is how you will learn the junk from the good ones. The 250 is a great machine, but it's not perfect, I still dig pull tabs, cans, & aluminum from time to time. You will get better as you go, trust me. Another key thing to watch for is if your target cursor jumps around and doesn't stay on one target, most of the time it is something other than coin or jewelry, but still can be something good, you will have to dig, learn and decide for yourself. Most important is to find a good location to hunt, do some research if need bem real important.

Now for your concern of digging holes, hey it's just dirt, don't freak out over it. What I do is I take a piece of thick plastic, like an old see through car floor matt, dig hole, put dirt on it, that way you can put it all back. Never leave a hole open always re-fill back to normal. Plus it allows you to visually see things better by being on the matt.

Now for the tools: No better tools than your common sense and your machine, learn the pin point if your going to use it on your 250. If not buy a pin-pointer, I got one and its good. I'll post a couple of pictures of the two main tools I use, I haven't found anything better yet. It keeps the hands clean and the holes smaller, than using a big shovel. Cuts through the grass and weeds real well and breaks up the dirt easier than using your hands. Can buy them at most hardware stores or lawn & garden stores.
One called the "classic spade shovel" and the other is a combination "hoe/cultivator" hand tool. If you decide to go to the beach and dig sand or sand & water mix, find you a good strainer, I use two kinds the round basket like they use in a deepfrier, get at any store, and a grain scoop you buy at a feed store, drill holes in bottom of it about half way from bottom to center of scoop, works great.

Anyway, hope this info helps you in some way. Hey if someone approaches you about your digging in parks or schools, tell them your cleaning up the trash as you go and then show them one of your holes you dug and how good it looks, most of the time they will say ok.

Happy hunting in your quest for dirt fishing, hope you find a lot, Ken. :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• classic drain spade shovel.jpg
    classic drain spade shovel.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 241
  • hoe-cultivator-413130.jpg
    hoe-cultivator-413130.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 237

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TexasTrash, it doesn't matter if the school is old and boarded up. Always, always, always, and ALWAYS leave a place looking like you were never there. Let that become a point of pride with you and you'll develop the reputation that will open more doors for you to search more manicured areas.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250

hey teaxs if you can afford go on ebay and look for a lesche hand digger for under 50 bucks or a fiskars digger it looks like a knife with the point cut off into a v for under 20 bucks and get a garrett propointer it will hit a target at 3 inches by it self somtimes you can find a package deal on ebay find pouch probe and a pinpointer and some books for under 130.00 and use a vynil shower curtain it is better for catching the dirt untill it starts getting cold then use a old towel and if the signal is strong but the rating bounces 1 above 1 below dig it any way i have a ace 250 that s how i do it but i have only been doing it for 2 years

OP
OP
TexasTrash

TexasTrash

Oct 24, 2009
North Edge of Texas
Detector(s) used

Shortstack said:
TexasTrash, it doesn't matter if the school is old and boarded up. Always, always, always, and ALWAYS leave a place looking like you were never there. Let that become a point of pride with you and you'll develop the reputation that will open more doors for you to search more manicured areas.

EXACTLY!!! I'm dying to hunt several beautiful early 1900's houses in the area of this school but I don't dare ask permission until I get better at hunting and digging targets.

Thanks Phantom, Ken, and Olepossum for all the advice. :thumbsup:

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This is a perfect example of why I like TNET. You guys rock! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread