Internet / Store ?

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
I would by from a local dealer for several reasons. At a local dealer you can look at and handle the different machines and see which one will be best for you, the most expensive you can afford may not always be the best for the type of detecting you will be doing. If you have trouble learning the machine they will be more willing to help you if you buy from them, If the dealer also services the machines you will more than likely get better and faster service if you buy from them. Also if there is more than one dealer in your area visit several and see which brand of machine you think will suit you best. This is just my opinion and I'm sure other people will feel differently.

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
I would say at least start at a local dealer....that way if they have multiple models in stock you can try them out in person to get a feel for which one is right for you.

allanw23

Dec 19, 2006
oklahoma city, ok
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro
So if everyone buys on the internet all your local dealers will go out of business. Then you will get stuck with someone in another state that pushes you to whatever machine the makes them the most profit. I cant tell you how many times a customer comes in asking how to use their machine they bought off the internet and its not even the machine they needed to do the type of hunting they want to do. Go to your local dealer that will set you up with the machine that fits your needs and your pocketbook. Believe me he wants you to be happy. He actually has to see you face to face, not over the phone!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allanw23 said:
So if everyone buys on the internet all your local dealers will go out of business. Then you will get stuck with someone in another state that pushes you to whatever machine the makes them the most profit. I cant tell you how many times a customer comes in asking how to use their machine they bought off the internet and its not even the machine they needed to do the type of hunting they want to do. Go to your local dealer that will set you up with the machine that fits your needs and your pocketbook. Believe me he wants you to be happy. He actually has to see you face to face, not over the phone!
I can not stress this enough to buy from a dealer that has a store front where you can handle the detectors first hand. Many times the one you think you want turns out to be a dog when you get to play with it in the store. Some dealers also sell online and the prices are going to be very close to the same as in the store. Sure you can get those cheap ones at the discount stores, but after a couple hunts with them you'll realize you wasted more money.

The dealer that you visit will assemble it for you and show you how it works and you can go back to him for help. When you buy online don't expect that dealer with the store to show you how it works cause many cases he'll tell you to ask the guy you bought it from. We had people all the time coming into the store to ask how to use the detector they bought on the Internet and the boss would sent them on their way.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
4-H said:
I read your post...store or internet.....
I'll make you an offer.
Find the best price on the detector you wan't. As long as it is a Minelab, Tesoro or, Detectorpro ( I am an authorized dealer for these companys) And I'll give you a better price.

When I was a dealer (long ago), Tesoro prohibited anyone from selling below a specific price. For example, I could not sell a Compadre for less than $151.20. So every dealer sold it for exactly that.

Are you saying that Tesoro has changed that policy??

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would say buy from a local dealer as well. The dealer I use is excellent. If you are having trouble with a dectector (learning it, mechanical, etc), the dealer is a great resource.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought both ways. When I bought my DFX I bought from the dealer, 6 months later when I went back to him for help he was out of business. Now if I need help with my detector I have to go 60 miles one way......Matt

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
I think it really depends on your situation. I know I would buy online as the only local dealers here are Radio Shack and Hobbytown where the employees know nothing about what they are selling and they only offer Whites.

That being said if there were a dealer closeby that sold a variety of machines and was knowledgeable I would shop local.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
like the rest, especially with a water machine buy local if possible. that way you have someone close by
to ask questions. also if you have any warranty issues that come up, you have a dealer to help deal with the problem
good luck on whatever you do

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Buy local!!! I have travelled several miles to see a particular model. Build a repor and I can assure the rewards will be great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread