Types of underwater detectors...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depends on what you'll be using it for. Are you just going to be wading? Or scuba diving? And for what purpose/goal? (ie.: environment, type targets you'll be hunting, etc....) Do you need disc? (to pass iron, if there's a lot in this area, like nails, bobby pins, paper-clips, etc...). If so, get an underwater discriminator, like the Excaliber or whatever. If no disc. is needed, then a pulse.

There is little operative difference between vlf and bbs/fbs, as far as operational goals. They are both just different types of standard coin/jewelry/relic machines. Whereas the pulse is sort of in a class itself. Great sensitivity, great sounds, punches through anything, etc... But lacks disc. So it all just depends on where you intend to hunt, and for what.

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I plan to go waist deep in the salt water in the wet salt sand. Plus probably take it more inlands to old foundations and homesteads. Thanks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
well if you're going "inland to old foundations", then you certainly don't want a pulse machine, for land sites like that. Every single straight pin and birdshot would drive you banannas. You're going to want a standard coin/relic machine that can do both duties.

As far as "waist deep", if you intend just to go in and out of the ebbing surf (like for regular beach hunting, where you don't intend to submerge it), then you don't even really need a waterproof machine. The coils are all waterproof, just don't submerge the box. But if you're going to risk truly going up to your waist, and really getting wet, you can try the Fisher CZ-21, which is fully waterproof, or the Minelab Excaliber. There are pros and cons to each. I personally don't like the Fisher's silent search, but it's a lot easier to learn, overall. The excaliber takes a LOT of getting used to, but ... once learned, can be used on land and underwater. It is sort of like the Sovereign (as far as sounds, abilities, etc... goes).

B

Big1011Guy

MrWizard said:
What kind of underwater detector do you think is the best?
Pulse Induction, Very Low Frequency (VLF), or BBS and FBS?
Why? ???

I Beach Hunt in Galveston, Texas and For Waist Deep Salt Water Surf I am using the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II. It is a PI Machine. It is built solid, waterproof, sandproof and has worked every time that I wanted/needed it to. I bought a used one at my local Metal Detector Store for $575.00 (including tax) back in June 2009. If you Scuba Dive you can change out the rods and put the short scuba diving rod on it. Headphones are waterproof as well. If you do decide to do searching in the surf you will need to buy a Long Handled Stainless Steel Sand Scoop to make recovering items a whole lot easier. I will be honest with you and admit I do find a lot of pull tabs, bottle tops and junk metal along with the good items, which is OK with me. At least I am More Confident that I am not missing any buried metal items. The long handled sand scoop makes digging all signals alot easier.
I am Extremely Happy with my Sea Hunter.
My Girlfriend is using a Garrett Ace 250 to hunt the dry sand/towel line beach area.
Guy

Attachments

• Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Ace 250 Metal Detector 001.JPG
    Ace 250 Metal Detector 001.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 219
  • Ace 250 Metal Detector 002.JPG
    Ace 250 Metal Detector 002.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 210
  • Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II Metal Detector 002.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 211
  • Ace 250 Metal Detector 001.JPG
    Ace 250 Metal Detector 001.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 226
  • Ace 250 Metal Detector 002.JPG
    Ace 250 Metal Detector 002.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 206

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom of CA is very correct in his recommendations. If you insist on hunting both dry land and water you definitely need either two detectors or one good land unit that you can remove the control box from the shaft to hang from you neck so you can wade in the water. Take a look at the Sovereign GT as it can do both well but you still can't get the box wet.

The Pulse is a specialized unit that has it's purposes, and old foundations is not one of them unless you have a gang of workers to do your digging for you. Time spent digging is less time spent looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread