Lost Gold Necklace

K

kalamalka

Hello Everyone,

I'm searching for any info/help on locating my lost gold necklace that was dropped in a lake. I will list the details below and hope anyone out there could give any advise.

1) Lost approx. 3 weeks ago.
2) Kalamalka Lake, B.C. Canada (Canada's Carribean)
3) 7'-15' of water in a 50'x 30' area.
4) Bottom is 6" of mud followed by clay.
5) Water is 75 degrees and vis. is good.
5) We have spent 4-5 hours of scuba time searching with hands and garden rake.

I am currently looking to possibly purchase a metal detector for underwater use. If anyone could advise any different or which detector one should shop for, that would be great!!!

Looking forward to any replies.

P.S. There is huge sentimental values attached to this item.

Thanks,

Bob

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yikes! Sorry to hear of your loss. You should be aware before you make a detector purchase that most detectors can't find thin gold chains. If it is a big heavy chain, or it has a medallion on it, you stand a much better chance of finding it.

You will want a waterproof detector, and one of the best for finding thinner chains is the Fisher CZ-20. (Alternatively you can look at a White's or Fisher PI [pulse induction], but I'm not as familiar with the capability of these units.) If it is a thin chain with no medallion, the smaller 8" coil will give you the best signal, and you will want to dig every target in all-metal mode. The signal will probably be weak and scratchy. For digging you will want a sand scoop-- a coffee-can sized metal scoop with a wire mesh bottom for filtering the sediment. If you are hunting for a bigger chain, or have a medallion, you can look for a 10" coil to cover the area a little faster. You will still want to overlap your coil footprint on each sweep. For the area you described, even if it is flat you can expect it to take you a few hours for a thorough search.

It might also help to understand a little about physics: gold is dense, so much so that falling through water doesn't slow it down much. So if you dropped it from a height of 15 feet, it will penetrate the mud pretty deeply, and if the mud is soft it will sink until it reaches a 'packed' layer. If the clay is hard packed and only a few inches from the top of the mud, that will be to your benefit.

Hope this was helpful, and best of luck to you!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Labrat is right, the CZ-20 is probably the best submersible in freshwater among the big mfrs. Try to check the member list of this website and see how many Canadian members there are in your area. Send a PM or E-mail to them asking for help. Also look for a local or nearby club. Most will be glad to help and from what we read here from the Canadian TH'ers they are more than capable of locating it if it's still there.

W

wooden nickel

What about the Minelab Excalibur series of detectors?? I've read reveiws that they are the best at small gold chains and such.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yep, Minelabs are great detectors, I wrote that the CZ-20 is the greatest because I own one. If I owned a Minelab, I might say it was the greatest. But having handled them and noting how ungainly they seem to be out of water and with the ways the controls are laid out I would not consider owning one. I use my CZ-20 in Lake Michigan wading, Foxriver digging, creek, swamp and deep soft muck work. I need a machine that has a better balance whether hipmounted or not and more intuitive operational characteristics.

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
I have both a CZ-20 and a Minelab Sovereign. The Excaliber is supposed to be the same electronically as the Sovereign, but waterproof for diving.

My experience is that the Minelab takes a lot longer to learn how to use effectively, and I've heard that Excalibers break pretty easily as well. Yesterday I met a gal using an Excaliber, and she said she's had it over a year and found less than $20 with it, and it has been in the shop for a number of repairs. She's extremely disappointed with it.

I like my Sovereign but it took me several months to get to know it, and the CZ is much easier to operate and just as effective at finding stuff.

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
Yep Labrat is right about most detectors can't find thin gold chains.
My surf PI Pro can't find them. You might try Detectorpro's Headhunter PI. I have seen chains found by them on another forum

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
:(TAKE SOME GOOD ADVICE-DO NOT USE A RAKE!!!!IT WILL BE VERY DIFFICULT NOW TO FIND ANYTHING,LORD KNOWS WHERE IT WOULD HAVE WOUND UP FROM THE RAKING!!!

D

Donna 2

Regarding underwater detectors - I have a Fisher 1280 X Aquanaut that is an underwater detector.? I searched for a gold cache with it this summer and found that it detected gold only to about 3 or 4 inches deep which just doesn't cut it. I'm sharing this info just in case you are thinking of buying a metal detector.
Best of luck in your search.? ? ?Donna

kalbs

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Good grief!! Unless you plan on doing u/w detecting as a life long avocation, get some one from the forum, or a regional club to help you w/this. You face two hurdles: A: Major expense for equipment that will get the job done, and B:You will have to devote many hours learning how to use( and develop proficiency with) the detector . . . while on SCUBA! This COULD lead to a passion for u/w detecting. . . or be a big loss of time (Invaluable) and money. Either way, you need an experienced diver/detectorist to assist you. The good news is that the water is shallow enough to make use of a hookah rig. (Not fun, but practical). Good luck.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kalbs said:
Good grief!! Unless you plan on doing u/w detecting as a life long avocation, get some one from the forum, or a regional club to help you w/this. You face two hurdles: A: Major expense for equipment that will get the job done, and B:You will have to devote many hours learning how to use( and develop proficiency with) the detector . . . while on SCUBA! This COULD lead to a passion for u/w detecting. . . or be a big loss of time (Invaluable) and money. Either way, you need an experienced diver/detectorist to assist you. The good news is that the water is shallow enough to make use of a hookah rig. (Not fun, but practical). Good luck.

Great advice! Follow it!

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
kalbs said:

do you know this post was from
Lost Gold Necklace
Posted Aug 20, 2004, 08:06:12 PM
and this is Dec 11 2010 :icon_scratch:

lacey333

Oct 7, 2010
Pompano Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300, 12" coil, Whites Beach Hunter ID 300
Before you spend the money and time on a new machine you should try this group,

http://theringfinders.com/

If there is anyone in that area I'm sure they would have a very good chance of recovery for you as they do it all the time!

Goodluck,

Mike

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
If you REALLY want to find it , get a gold dredge.

goldman55

Sep 25, 2010
cincinnati
Detector(s) used
T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kalamalka said:
Hello Everyone,

I'm searching for any info/help on locating my lost gold necklace that was dropped in a lake. I will list the details below and hope anyone out there could give any advise.

1) Lost approx. 3 weeks ago.
2) Kalamalka Lake, B.C. Canada (Canada's Carribean)
3) 7'-15' of water in a 50'x 30' area.
4) Bottom is 6" of mud followed by clay.
5) Water is 75 degrees and vis. is good.
5) We have spent 4-5 hours of scuba time searching with hands and garden rake.

I am currently looking to possibly purchase a metal detector for underwater use. If anyone could advise any different or which detector one should shop for, that would be great!!!

Looking forward to any replies.

P.S. There is huge sentimental values attached to this item.

Thanks,

Bob

Just Lost go with the Vibra-tector 750---$169.00 100 foot water Proof
Bill :icon_thumleft:

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
dld said:
kalbs said:

do you know this post was from
Lost Gold Necklace
Posted Aug 20, 2004, 08:06:12 PM
and this is Dec 11 2010 :icon_scratch:

He He He ... I was wondering when someone would catch that.

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
Chains without a pendant or big clasp attached are difficult to impossible to find as the detector only sees one link at a time - not the whole chain. Since you have mucked the area up digging around it will be even more difficult. and is the necklace worth the price of a machine designed to find it? ( $1000 and up ) The best for this project would be the Garrett Infinium PI, good down to 200 feet and extremely deep seeking - feet not inches, which you will need after stirring up the bottom and depositing the necklace who knows where. Good luck.

Bill

Dec 19, 2010
Grove City ,Ohio
These Threads stay alive as long as newbies (like myself) to the forum look over the threads and coment on them too ;D,I will try to look at the dates from now on,prior to replying to them,Thanks for pointing that out,Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread