New to Hobby, Need You Help!

SPUDS

Nov 18, 2009
Hi everyone! I'm new to the hobby and getting ready to buy my first detector. I've narrowed my choices to the Ace 250 or the Teknetics Delta 400. I would appreciate any and all feedback on what you think would be the best one for a beginner. If there is amodel other than these two in the $225 to $300 range that you think would be better, please let me know. I live in the Fayetteville , NC area and will be going over to the beaches everyonce in awhile. Thanks in advance for your help!

Upvote 0

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to go wrong with an Garrett Ace. I bought my father one of the earlier versions a number of years ago and it is a solid detector. The main thing is just to get out there and learn whatever you get. I would say any Garrett, Whites, Fisher, or Tesoro in your price range will work.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only heard great things about the Ace 250.....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the price you have a solid detector in the Ace 250 with a lot of features. Yeah, and welcome to TNet. :hello:

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME TO TNET :hello:

Attachments

• hi,%20you%20are%20welcome.gif
    hi,%20you%20are%20welcome.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 148

teddy

Nov 7, 2009
All the posters called it right.

As a starter machine the Ace is fine.

But too I should point out that the higher priced machines usually have more features and greater depth. Sometimes it's wiser to buy used.

In these hard times I've seen the Tesoro Tejon go used for as low as about $300. That machine is one of the deepest detectors made today (probably about twice the depth of the Ace). You have excellent ground balance plus the unbeatable Tesoro warranty even on used machines.

Meters are fun but totally unreliable. No matter what machine you use you still have to learn sounds.

Welcome and good hunting.

teddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread