Detector for 12 y/o?

voodoo13

Aug 20, 2009
My 12 y/o daughter wants a detector for Christmas. I have a little experience with a Tesoro Lobo, and thats it. Have been reading the forums, checking the reviews on website, and have narrowed it down to the following; Fisher F2, Garrett Ace 250, Whites Classic 4 and Minelab X-Terra 30. Which will a 12 y/o find the easiest to use with success? Another brand/model I over looked? Willing to spend upto $300. She will be searching parks, beach and areas that hold nuggets at times. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
You're gonna get answers for and against all the detectors you listed but I'll throw my vote in there for the ACE250. I have one and my 13 and 14 year old daughters have both used it successfully. It is easy to learn, I have had zero problems with it for almost 2 years now and I have used it in several different soil conditions.

HH Charlie

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I agree, the Ace250 is great for anyone really. It is easy to use and very light weight and the height is good for shorter people.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Ace 250 would be a great first detector for a 12 year old. There's been alot of great finds posted on here made with that machine. The Tesoro Compadre is another good one. I have never used the Ace but I own a Compadre and use it all the time. It's a great little machine also and very light.

Good Luck
Randy

OP
OP
V

voodoo13

Aug 20, 2009
I was actually just reading up on the Compadre. Seems like it might be one to consider. Having just one knob, and being so light weight. Can headphones be used with it? Have not seen mention of a jack for them.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
voodoo13 said:
I was actually just reading up on the Compadre. Seems like it might be one to consider. Having just one knob, and being so light weight. Can headphones be used with it? Have not seen mention of a jack for them.

Yes, it has a headphone jack and works well with headphones. The only problem I have with the Compadre is the coil is hard wired and you can't change it. Your depth is limited to the 5.75" coil. Don't get me wrong, it is plenty deep enough and will find most of the targets you're looking for and is great in trashy areas. It pin points dead on. With the Ace you will need to buy a sniper coil for trashy areas. The Compadre will find coins 5 to 6 in. in good soil. That's pretty deep for a 12 year old. My Vaquero is a good bit deeper than that but that's like comparing apples and oranges. Another machine you might want to look at is the Silver U-Max. Comes with a 8" coil standard and is very good in trashy areas. You can get a 5.75" coil for it for better pin pointing in very trashy areas and you can get a 10x12" coil for more depth in not so trashy areas. Some people swear the 10x12 will find coins 12 to 14 inches in good soil. I'm not putting down the Ace. As I've said, alot of great finds have been found with the Ace.

Hope this helps.
Randy

PS-Just don't get the Ace150. :(

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
There's one thing I forgot to say. If you set the disc. to max on the Compadre you will only find quarters and dimes with the occasional penny (and of coarse all larger coins). Great for coin shooting in trashy parks and is the ultimate in tot lots. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread