How not to cut a plug!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had this video shown to me on how to not cut a plug. It was evidently made by a newbie that had never given it a second thought or instruction on how to retrieve a coin while metal detecting.

If you ever see this type activity, make a comment and flag the video. We don't need more newbies thinking this is the right way to continue the hobby.

Oops, I forgot the link cause I had a phone call. Sorry............

Upvote 0

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What video ?

I'm not a newbie and I wanted to watch...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Your right Sandman that is the wrong way to dig a plug . But every now and then i see where plugs were dug like that. Never see who dug them though. someday i might see some one digging like that and then i can explain and show them how to do it the right way...................

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Title it how not to dig a plug....He sure doesn't know how to pinpoint a target........

Thanks SM

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
Hey, that looks like my turkey fork! This guy probably just doesn't know any better, pretty sad, but I've seen worse.

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Might be an ok place to go after he gets done with the way he is swingin that md at the beginning. Just think of the targets he his missing.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep that fork was rough...
I think it might be Icelandic Croner ??
I can do much better with a shovel....

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I'm with SteveDodds... get a load of the video guy's scanning technique. He must be getting pretty close to 5% total coverage.

Then again, maybe that's a good thing, considering his target recovery skills! :D

B

BIG61AL

From his targets I am guessing he is in norway. Terrible recovery technique. It is only a matter of time before he does that and gets in trouble.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
my god, talk about leaving craters. the way he's digging, the entire area is going to be dead in short order, if he slows down his swing and covers the area better

wayne_etc

Jul 28, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Worse. Digging. Tool. EVER.

I've never seen anyone dig with a fork. If you're going to use your kitchen utensils at least use a spoon.

Something not unusual is digging too small of a plug. A large plug that gets the target is neater that a small plug that misses it. (Mentioned here)

w

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people practice pinpointing with their detector and use a good pinpointer and there is no need for a large plug unless target is large..............I rarely ever dig a plug, and when I do It is usually less then 4 inches. With my pinpointer and Ez-Dig-R, I really don't need plugs, I slit the sod, pinpoint with uniprobe, dig with my 1 1/4 inch shovel, pull the target out and then pinch the sod back.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Sandman....what is that called? The Gopher technique? You are totally right people like that need reporting.

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are detecting the grass in a park, I don't think you should dig a plug at all. I use a screwdriver or bayonet to probe for the coin and lever it out of the ground when I am not using the inline probe. The bayonet is for sticking in the hole in a pull tap or ring. If I don't touch it with the driver I usually leave it. But this of course depends on the park or type of grass, condition of the soil, etc. Granted in rocky ground or woods/fields a shovel is useful. But I still place the dirt on cloth which also helps to keep the coin from falling into the grass to save time eyeballing it.

When you see Videos like these, comment on sloppy digging.

wayne_etc

Jul 28, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
I think you can dig a decent size plug in a park and make it look like you were never there. Precise pinpoint, U shaped plug, and drop cloth for dirt. The only problem is the dirty looks and negative perception from Joe Q. Public when they see you do this. If the park is too crowded to do this type of digging, I generally stay away anyway.

w

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
..........I use a screwdriver or bayonet to probe for the coin and lever it out of the ground when I am not using the inline probe. The bayonet is for sticking in the hole in a pull tap or ring. If I don't touch it with the driver I usually leave it. But this of course depends on the park or type of grass, condition of the soil, etc. ......................

Sandman, you are obviously one of the most experienced MDers on TNet.

Have you posted a video of your coin retrieval technique???

It may easily become a sticky post.

:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread