Waders Information

B

Big1011Guy

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been looking online for Waders and I am even more confused now than I was even before I knew what The Word "Waders" meant.
I have been detecting since April 2009 and do most of my searching in Galveston, Texas. I have the Sea Hunter and I search in knee high to waist high surf. I don't want to stop just because of the cooler weather and chilly water.
The first Info I need Help with is about what Size Waders do I need. - I am 6'2'' tall / 265 lbs (mostly in the belly area, duh!) and wear a size 12 shoe. There are all kinds of variations on the sizes from XXL to a Boot Size 12, 14 etc...
Next Please Recommend the Material (neoprene, rubber, breathable etc...) the Waders are made out of that is best suited for Metal Detecting in Galveston, Texas Cool Months.
I am wanting to wear Waders instead of say a Dry/Wet Suit because, by the time I got one of those Wet/Dry suits on over this Big Belly I would be to tired to go Detecting and I don't want someone walking along the Seawall mistaking me for a Beached Whale. :help:
Thanks in Advance for Your Input,
Big1011Guy.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guy, I answered this question for you under Beach & Shallow Water. Good Luck. :coffee2:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here.

Sizing Waders
Wader comfort is all about your height, weight and build. When it comes to breathable if you get it wrong the life of your waders will be lessened. If the inseam is too long then material will bunch up when you walk in them and cause rubbing in the crotch and knee area which will lead to leaks in the seams. Too short and when you bend over or climb over obstacles you excessively stretch the material along the seam, again causing leaks over time.

First Measure Your Chest (Girth)
Put on your Detecting/fishing clothing which could mean a lot of stuff depending on where you’re going to detect/fish. Measure the circumference of your chest.

Second Measure Your Inseam
Take your shoes off and measure your inseam length, crotch to the floor. Oh by the way know your foot size too.

Third Check the Size Chart
Take your measurements to the size chart of the product you want to buy and find the size that is right for you. Courtesy of many years of fly fishing.....HHHH

OP
OP
B

Big1011Guy

Thanks 4-H for your reply and info. Alot of feedback has been against me getting Waders to use in the surf at Galveston. Their concern is water getting inside the waders and perhaps getting me in a precarious position. They are recommending a wet suit by Farmer John, so I am checking them out and comparing prices and what is best for my needs. I really believe that if I am conscience to the fact I could get hurt while wearing the waders in the surf, I would be more aware of what is going on around me and of course not go to deep in the water. Stay at knee high or lower.
Much Appreciated, Guy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread