Are old cemetarys a good place to go?

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I recently finished mding an old cemetary and I am starting on another one. These are both old places with a lot of the old limestone headstones. The problem is I haven't found anything other than one wheat penny from 1958. Am I wasting my time with these places? Has anybody ever found anything at old cemetarys? Do you think it is immoral to hunt these cemetarys?

Upvote 0
S

stefen

ringman said:
SteveDodds said:
These are some interesting outlooks and after everybody's replies I don't think I am going to go back.

...Kinda sorry you asked the question. :-[

The question needed to be asked, however, the decision is a wise one. :coffee2:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree about not hunting the cemeteries. Other people would get a bad impression seeing someone digging in a cemetery especially if they have family there. There are so many other places to hunt. Avoid this one. We can't hunt everywhere and we have to respect the ones we should not hunt in.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not detect around in cemetaries? It is not like you are even going to pick up anything that deep where the body itself would be anyhow or pick up grannies ring you know?. I do not have a problem with it. How many of you guys relic hunt? Just imagine how many graves you had already been around digging up those old cuff buttons and such? Heck maybe there was a reason you found 5 buttons in a row about 4 inches apart. What about picking up those beautiful American Indian relics you just happen upon while out relic hunting off in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes those real nice arrowheads were not always meant to go hunting with but, hey since there was no tombstones there you took it anyway right? Just because your not near a cemetary with tombstones does not mean you are not detecting where people are buried, Tim

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
With me, it's not because I'm afraid I'll dig up a body. I'm kind of old fashioned with some of my ideas. When I'm walking around in an old cemetery, I try to avoid walking on any graves. I picked this up from my grandparents. It's all about respect, and it doesn't matter what color the person in the ground is.
Old cemeteries fascinate me. There's a cemetery within 5 miles from my house where my great, great, great, great, great grandparents are buried, and 80% of the headstones in this cemetery have my last name on them. If anyone would have their blessing to hunt their final resting place it would be me, but I ain't gonna do it.
I do; however, have my eye on a site within the confines of a city cemetery where a couple of old homes once stood. They haven't started selling plots in that section yet. Now, I am going to try to get permission to hunt that spot. If I do hunt that spot and find something good, I'll have to title my post "Cemetery produces some good coins". At least it'll get a lot of hits. :laughing7: I hope I can get permission to hunt that spot. If I do, I'll hunt it till the first grave gets dug, and then I'm out of there. I don't care how good the finds are. RESPECT YOUR ELDERS. REGARDLESS OF WHICH SIDE OF THE SOD THEY'RE ON. :wink:

'Nuff Said.

Happy Hunting!! :hello:
Cm2db
P.S. I'm not lecturing you, Steve. I know now where you stand. Your post has turned into a general "Cemeteries: Right or Wrong to hunt" post.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're spotted detecting in a cemetary you can expect at the very least to encounter a local police person who will most likely ask you to leave, and in some cases - possibly an angry mob of locals who will make your day of detecting a living hell. This is an on-going saga of mixed views/feelings on the matter and in my opinion - one to avoid altogether.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you have to ask the question --is it immoral to ? mostly likely in your heart you already kmow the answer to your own question. and usually its "yes, its immoral. -- but you ask others " which way is true north?" since your moral compass is in doubt to verify what you already know.

S

stefen

ivan salis said:
if you have to ask the question --is it immoral to ? mostly likely in your heart you already kmow the answer to your own question. and usually its "yes, its immoral. -- but you ask others " which way is true north?" since your moral compass is in doubt to verify what you already know.

Well said :thumbsup:

rubberdiver13

Dec 19, 2008
worcestershire
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, c-scope,laser b2
ive detected against the walls of our old churches, but never the graveyard....that would be bad, we had alot of civil war attacks on the churches by us,used as defensive outposts,and alot of musket ball dents litter the walls,so find quite a few musket balls,an inch and bigger................but never detect the church burial grounds..thats sick >:( >:( >:(

Ragic

Nov 2, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Tesoro Silver Umax
Just North of Niagara Falls Ontario, I was with my girlfriend walking through a very old cemetery that is still in use. We were looking at graves of people that were born in the mid 1700's and war of 1812 when we came upon a fresh grave. When the backhoe came in and dug the grave, they must have struck an unmarked, or just dug too close to the next grave because the soil was littered with bone fragments. (a lot of bone fragments) These were not animal bones. I used my fingers as a rake and raked the soil, picking up a lot of bone. I dug as deep a hole with my fingers as I could and buried the bones. So, no I don't think it's right to detect in cemeteries.

Steve

S

stefen

"Are old cemetarys a good place to go?"

Yes, when you're dead, of course.

j.n.

Dec 31, 2007
phoenix az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a problem with hunting cemeteries and while I might spend some time setting
stones upright or clearing debris I would not hunt them. Having said that I know of what I believe to be a small cemetery that could date to the 15 century. I would love to check the site with my metal detector and see if any metal could be found which might reinforce my belief that it is old but after a lot of years I have still not done this.

For those who are looking at cemeteries, my father told me than when he was young and travel was done by wagon, cemeteries were often used to camp in because not many people would bother any one there at night.

I have heard tales of graves being used to bury loot because the head stone was all the ties they would need after many years the grave and head stone would still be there.

j.n.

M

michigan michael

If I seen someone detecting a cemetery my loved ones were in........ I would get my shovel out of the trunk, dig a big hole and plant something myself there! No worries! I WILL COVER THE HOLE!

A lot of people leave rings, chains, or other PERSONAL items on the ground with there loved ones are placed! A grave is private property! It is also someone's final resting place. Show some respect. Sorry I am completely against that idea. New or old.
:angry4:

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
If you think it is worth the chance that some old, really, really ignorant red neck with a 12ga. won't shoot you because he thinks you are messing around his old Mama's grave, have at it. They are out there, and I was just blessed that I was not shot dead by him, and I was not near any graves but near where the old Church had once stood. If he had not seen that I was wearing a pistol, a I am sure he would have shot me, just as he told me he had planned to do when he first saw me in the Church yard.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Why would anyone want to take from the dead. They came into this world with nothing and that's what their leaving with.

If your in a cemetary...give it a rest.

Let the professionals dig the graves.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Foot paths, road ways and outside the gates are my rule of thumb if I come across a defunct cemetary that
holds some historic interest. I've done a few and the recoveries have never been much.
Moraly I dont see much of a problem with this type of area but the key word is Defunct~ ie no ones been
buried there in a long long time. One aspect that has to be observed though are areas that
are registered as Historic sites~ these are always a no no unless you can get permission and if its
on the federal register as a Archeologic site then dont bother.
As to the Graves themselves I stay out of the plots between the headstone and the footstone~ and if for
some reason I dig on a stone I clear it so I, and others, know where they are at.
Respect the dead and thier offerings.
I'm looking for things people have lost, not things people have deliberatly placed at the site.

Whats of more interest are the Meeting Halls or Church sites near these areas if you can locate them.
I find nothing ghoulish about checking these areas but the locals may so be aware is all. Archeologists dig
up the dead and thier possesions all the time and I approach such sites in the same manner.
Sans digging up the souls and thier possesions that reside there.
If you find a site that a local historic society has taken in hand, and get permission to check it, set some
finds aside for them to put in thier displays *and make the offer to do so* to aid in preserving a bit of
the history for the area. Its the right thing to do.

Interesting topic.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted a cemetery once but only because a church minister asked me to try and locate a gold wedding ring an elderly woman thought she dropped near the grave of her late husband's funeral...He accompanied me to the area and remained with me...Didn't find the ring...she may have been so distraught..she could have lost it elsewhere..

Anyway..I really felt uncomfortable searching near the gravesite..even with the minister there..I felt I was violating sacred ground..even though I am not what you would call a religious person...

So it probably wouldn't be a good idea to step a foot inside the gate of a cemetery...Common sense should tell you otherwise...not only that..you may get yourself in a world of trouble with the locals....Just my point of view..

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought of checking a few out myself....The dead people do not care....I know I wont..So feel free to detect on my plot any old time....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread