Project + Indians + GOLD!!!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
So, while out taking care of business today, I ran into a rancher who owns a spot that I had a hunch about due to some research last week.?

I read that a cargo train route (wagon train for cargo, not passengers) ran through a gap and by a spring where there was a watering hole and a station by 1880.? I also read that it ran from a certain canyon to another canyon that is about fifty miles away.? Well, after some deductive reasoning, I figured that it must be this certain spot.? So today, I asked the rancher if he happened to know where the route ran.? He turns and points to a falling in shack about thirty yards from where we were standing.? "That's the station right there and you're standing in the old road." he says.? I was dumbfounded!? So I start stammering and stuttering and finally ask if he'd mind if I came and hunted around the station.? He said that he didn't mind and then tells me where the old school was back then and the church cemetary and then gives me free range of his ranch.?

We start chatting about his ranch and I find out the vastness of the project.? About 25 sections of prime, history laden land!? For you city folk, there are 640 acres in a section.? That's 16,000 acres!!!!!!!!!!!? This land has been ridden through and ranched by the likes of: John Slaughter, Geronimo, the Earps, Ringo, Doc holiday, the Clanton gang, Curly Bill, and probably Pancho Villa!? Not to mention the Spanards in the 1540's!? I think I have just found one of the "Lost Gold Mines" of Arizona!? Wish me luck!

;D

Upvote 0

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Re: Very large project!

Let's see. At a 1/2 acre per day 16,000 acres would take 32,000 days to hunt. Giving you 45 days off per year (less than one day a week) that should keep you busy for the next 100 years. :o

Gabbit

Aug 4, 2005
Idaho

WOW -- hope the research pays off for you -- better get yourself a 36" coil

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

WOW!!!, sounds great...
I think I'd take it in small increments, 16,000 acres would drive me bonkers... ;D
Good luck, Keep us posted, & Happy hunting~

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LUCK

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma

All I can say is Good Luck 8), have fun, and don't forget to write, and don't get lost in the desert.

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,

well dont hunt it out leave some for us ..lol best wishes on ur finds, keep us posted with pic,

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sweet,keep us posted

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow DigEm!? Sounds like you hit the jackpot.? I would set up some sort of grid system and cover the ground systematically starting with high points and possible observation posts.? A good topo map of the area would be my first project, then grid the area.

Good Luck and keep us all posted of your digs...........................

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

..........................and you want us all to come and help you starting when?...................LOL..........Best of luck....sounds like a great opportunity ! :)

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

I would love for you guys to all come out and help.... I don't think that the rancher would though... honestly, there are only three or four promising spots to hunt that I have found so far. There is the Stagecoach station, the school, and the cemetary that should have had a church around it somewhere. I am still looking for other things though. The church, school, and cemetary are from much later than the stage station. They are from just after the turn of the century, when there was a water stop for the train there. Hmmmm... there is another one to hunt... the train stop. Time for some more research!

I did get out and do some hiking on the ranch last weekend, getting up close and personal with the place. And I did find something that you guys will love!!! Unfortuantly, my camera wasn't working... (I'll leave it at that) It was much to big for me to pack out, so pictures will have to do. Next trip, I'll try to remember to put the batteries in the right way and get some pictures for you guys!

;D ;D ;D

OP
OP
DigEmAll

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan

Oh yeah... I found out where the post office was on the place. Sadly, there is a house built on top of it and an old codger living there. It was only open for a couple years and I am betting there wouldn't be much to find there anyway.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Dig, hearing about you out in the desert and that much ground to cover reminds me of a story I saw on tv. The guy mounted the coil on a long pole (probably pvc or wood) and attached it to the front of an old jeep. Hope the idea helps. If not a jeep then how about an atv? If you need help I miss the desert and can't think of a better reason to get back there. Happy hunting you lucky dog.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

W O W ! Sounds like a great hunt site. Hope you find some good stuff. Good Luck !

Huntin' 59er

azmetaldetector

Sep 22, 2005
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites MXT Pro

Well I'm in the Phoenix area so if you need any help....lemme know.....
Hopefully this place will allow you to find some of the old stuff you were complaining in another thread don't exist in AZ. I agree with you so far. I've been hunting for 5 months and the oldest coin I've found is a 1920 wheat penny.

Good luck with the site and provide lots of pictures.
If you want help...lemme know...LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread