What would be the best nickel detector ?

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are very right. I always think now of nickels as 'good-luck' coins because before, I'd use discrimination to eliminate pulltabs and hardly, EVER find nickels like many fall into the trap of doing. I purchased a vintage Brinkmann Sensor 4000 metal detector (made between 1974 to 1980 +/-) off eBay. This machine really MOPS up the nickels (and rings, if there are any to be found) like 'white on rice' and goes appx. 8 or 9" deep on a mid-size coin. It's re-encouraged me to 'just dig it all'. Can't believe what this easy-to-use non-discriminating, vintage detector finds just by not having any useable discrimination and just going ahead and digging solid (and fairly deep) targets. Contrary to what some of you might think about non-disc. MD's, this MD does not usually detect iron nails and nor most other iron either for some reason considering it's a non-motion, all-metal TR unit. Just resist the temptation to use too much disc. on your newer VLF slow-motion/discrimination detectors and you'll find a (LOT) more good stuff guaranteed! Use (only) enough disc. right before eliminating tin foil on any digital-screen (or) analog machine (unless) you're in a very trashy area where you'll be forced to use some disc. By the way RL OH is basically right. The Fisher CZ, as well as most other Fishers, are some of the most sensitive detectors of any brand. I've used almost all of the Fisher 'X-Series' models for example and they are very hard to beat. My hottest one is the 1270X. Appx. 17"(+/-) on a quarter is claimed by some users so this one should go very deep on small and/or deep gold as well as brass, copper, nickel, lead(like '3-ringers') items as well. Happy Hunting All!!!!

Last edited:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickles show up as a solid 52/53 on my AT Pro. A lot of can tabs are in that range too, but they tend to jump around a bit as they are not concentric like a coin.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels hit at 19 on the V3i and I can ID them at least 90 percent of the time or more. 3 green bars in 2 directions at 19 and it's a nickel. I can tell when a site has been hit hard when all I find are nickels because everyone else has missed them or disc them out.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I personally don't ever try to find nickels, are they even worth finding? I also use a V3i and have found four or five nickels this year. But unless I am hunting a turn of the century house I really don't pay much mind to the nickel. If the vdi is different for the buffalo or V-nickel, that would be worth knowing/finding. The Jefferson nickels are only worth face value pretty much . I did find a really nice 43-P silver the other day, which is pretty cool.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i find as many nickles as I do anything else. I use a 11" coil in a very trashy park. I have seen several folks in the park detecting, and some just scratch their head when I start pulling clad out of the ground. My success rate went way up when I found the right settings. Only time I dig pull tabs or foil is when Im looking for a ring, which is most of the time. I am pretty sure I could do this with any machine out there. But I wont be getting rid of my detector any time soon. No matter what you use, listen to what it is telling you. I dont think my Fisher can be beat for coins, so if you want a fun machine that does it all, or almost anyway. Look into the fisher series. Personally I want a minelab, but it has to wait till I get a GB II and Gemini III, lol. Good Luck.

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit nickels at 14 on my safari with not much junk! Test garden your nickels at different depths in different soils sand,sandy loam, and gravel. Try it some time you will be amazed.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started a thread not long ago about nickels, I was missing a lot (I think?) and was wanting any tips/ pointers for finding them.

I don't think it's a question of "what detector will find them" so much as being able to distinguish them from trash that most MDs read in the same range.

I been digging more tab signals, bouncy tab/nickel signals, and I've been finding more. Been finding more tabs too, come to think of it?!?! Lol

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started a thread not long ago about nickels, I was missing a lot (I think?) and was wanting any tips/ pointers for finding them.

I don't think it's a question of "what detector will find them" so much as being able to distinguish them from trash that most MDs read in the same range.

I been digging more tab signals, bouncy tab/nickel signals, and I've been finding more. Been finding more tabs too, come to think of it?!?! Lol

I actually find a large amount of nickles at some of the parks out here, and I think that it is because a lot of other people with detectors just dig the high signals and discriminate the entire lower range of metal below a penny.

Can tabs and nickles show up in the same range on my AT Pro. A can tab will usually read anywhere from a 50 to a 58 or so, usually somewhere in the middle of those. When I swing my detector over a can tab, it will bounce around +/-3 each way. A nickle, which is a concentric object, is almost always a solid 52/53 depending on the depth. I always dig every good signal, cause sometimes you will find multiple coins or object in a hole, such as a pocket spill, and those can cause your signal to bounce around a bit too.

If I were to guess, I'd say the tab to nickle ratio in the good parks out here is probably 10 to 1, depending on which part of the park I'm in.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually find a large amount of nickles at some of the parks out here, and I think that it is because a lot of other people with detectors just dig the high signals and discriminate the entire lower range of metal below a penny.

Can tabs and nickles show up in the same range on my AT Pro. A can tab will usually read anywhere from a 50 to a 58 or so, usually somewhere in the middle of those. When I swing my detector over a can tab, it will bounce around +/-3 each way. A nickle, which is a concentric object, is almost always a solid 52/53 depending on the depth. I always dig every good signal, cause sometimes you will find multiple coins or object in a hole, such as a pocket spill, and those can cause your signal to bounce around a bit too.

If I were to guess, I'd say the tab to nickle ratio in the good parks out here is probably 10 to 1, depending on which part of the park I'm in.

Thanks man!

Gregmid40

Mar 20, 2013
Advance, NC.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF/TR 840, Tesoro Tejon, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, Fisher 1225,1260,1265,1266,1270X, Garrett Freedom Ace CDC, MP Series MP5 Pro, Garrett Coin Hunter TR Disc. (1978), Mikron NRG-110, De
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't ever try to find nickels, are they even worth finding? I also use a V3i and have found four or five nickels this year. But unless I am hunting a turn of the century house I really don't pay much mind to the nickel. If the vdi is different for the buffalo or V-nickel, that would be worth knowing/finding. The Jefferson nickels are only worth face value pretty much . I did find a really nice 43-P silver the other day, which is pretty cool.

Put it this way, if you're not finding nickels, your quite possibly missing a lot of gold rings (thick AND thin) as well as possibly a lot of thin gold jewelry like thin necklaces and charms.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And he will never find a flying eagle cent , and some small buttons

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No doubt about it, Fishers CZ's kill on nickels! Period!! FAR AND AWAY my CZ-3D is thee best machine I've ever used for nickels. Come to think of it, it's THEE best coin machine!!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have heard from the feild, the Fisher CZ-3D is a killer on nickels.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that runs around 3 khz works the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions