mi77915

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I am new to metal detecting and have not yet purchased my first detector. I have been doing a lot of research here and on other “Metal Detecting Forums”, and “Metal Detecting Equipment Review” sites to try to figure out which detector is right for me. As with many of us, I am on a “budget” of around $200. My plans are to use this detector at local schoolyards, public parks, and playgrounds. I realize that this subject has been covered many, many times.

I have narrowed it down to (3) machines; Ace 250, Whites Coinmaster (the new one), and Fisher F2. From what I can figure from all my reading is that these (3) machines are pretty close to each other. One area that I have not read too much about is the “ease” of use of these machines. By this I mean is one machine easier to “read” and figure out what the display is telling you? Or is it a matter of just “learning” that particular machine?

Any comments/suggestions?

Thank you,

Tom

Upvote 0

arrowhead883

Feb 6, 2009
Central Kentucky
Hey Tom, Welcome. I can only speak for the ACE250. It was my first detector and I found it very easy to use after I read everything I could find on it and watched a few Youtube videos as well. The thing is a coin beast. I've found a lot of flat buttons with it as well. The main thing with any machine is the amount of time you put on it. I'm sure they all have their strong points, but the ACE works very well for me in the exact areas you say your going to use it at.

If you get the ACE I would recommend starting out in the coin mode with the sensitivity set at 4 or 5 and just use the heck out of it. Once you learn the "dings" set it up to fit your style of hunting and go! No matter what machine you get, reasearch it to death and your learning curve should be much smaller than if you just pop it out of the box and try to use it. Good luck!

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet Tom. You will love this hobbie as it pays you back as you are learning it. Somedaysit is a little then some it is alot. Where are you at in MI I am in the Northwest corner of Ohio be happy to take you out if you are near by. I have other detectors that you could try out. Water and land when the weather is decent. Let us know what you decide and happy hunting.....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom, welcome to the hobby and TNet. As mentioned the ACE 250 is a good detector for the money and beginners. The Coinmaster should also be very good. There are other detectors that have more features to play with for better results. Tesoro makes some of the best detectors around too. I don't like a screen on my land detectors as I feel if I rely on what it tells me I will leave to many good targets in the ground. If you have any other questions ask away. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mi77915

mi77915

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for ALL your information in regards to the purchase of my new detector!! After all the reviews, comments, and suggestions from all of you here and on other forums and review sites, I have decided to get the Fisher F2 with the 4" and 8" coils and an FPoint pinpointer. All this was sold as a package deal thru one of the major distributors.

Again, thanks to all for your help,

Tom

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
welcome to TNET and keep us informed about your finds with that new Fisher

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread