Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
teddy said:
jeff of pa said:
coingairl300 said:
HI
I use to hate when my ant would talk about are areas history all the time.But now,i love hearing about it. My ant even let me detect around here old tenant house.I found alot of coin,mostly penny's,and some relics.

Priscilla

Yes We had a Small Store about a Mile away.

When I Was about 8 or 9 I Used
to Dread Entering the Store
Because there was a 90 Year old
Man Sharp as a Tac, But Always
wanted to Tell me the History
of the Towns up
here on the Mountain. Never realy Listened
Just Nodded & Went about my Buisness.

Boy do I Miss that old Man :( :'(

So true Jeff.
I did that with lots of old timers while growing up. Now I sure wish I could ask them questions and listen.

It was about 6 years ago I seriously started listening to the old boys in our area. That's when I really started to find the old stuff.

teddy

Yep. But most of those old timers are gone now. Wish I had started listening a long time ago. :(

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF I Had known Then what I Know
Now,

I would have made a Pest of Myself

!!LastScan.jpg

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been fascinated with history. Not so much with dates and places, but with events and why things happened the way they did. However as was mentioned earlier, when you are 16 and 17 in high school, there just are too many distractions if you know what I mean. :wink:

coingairl300

Mar 17, 2008
Warren county NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same thing to my grandmother,now i wish i never had. She woulded of love to seen some of the items that ive been finding. She told me that hear friends father would walk here home from there house at night in the summer time with an lantren. Boy, that must have been something,on a cool summers night.

Priscilla

uote author=jeff of pa link=topic=285605.msg2050082#msg2050082 date=1259714426]
coingairl300 said:
HI
I use to hate when my ant would talk about are areas history all the time.But now,i love hearing about it. My ant even let me detect around here old tenant house.I found alot of coin,mostly penny's,and some relics.

Priscilla

Yes We had a Small Store about a Mile away.

When I Was about 8 or 9 I Used
to Dread Entering the Store
Because there was a old
Man seemed about 90 Born April 6th 1880
His Grandfather was the First Settler up here.
Sharp as a Tac, But Always
wanted to Tell me the History
of the Towns up
here on the Mountain. Never realy Listened
Just Nodded & Went about my Buisness.

Boy do I Miss that old Man :( :'(
[/quote]

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At my H.S. graduation not only did I receive a Scholarship award but I won a $100.00 savings bond award for being an outstanding history student. So I guess I would have to say I loved history & it was & still is one of my favorite subjects...among many others as well. But sense my student days new facts about history have been discovered. History has been rewritten thanks to the efforts & help of TH'ers, Archeologists, new advanements in technology, etc..

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
since I meant - not sense. OOPS!

Man it is a cold rainy downright nasty day here in NJ today. YUK! I hate this time of year.

I can't wait until Spring. Heck, winter isn't even officially here yet.

All you folks who live down south & on tropical islands are so very lucky.

Chief WhoWantsPalmTreesInHisYard

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love history now but back then :tongue3:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't hate history and it was easy for me because at the time I had a good memory for names and dates. What I didn't like it was the same old thing over and over and over year after year. I just lost interest. I enjoy history now because I am free to form my own opinions and analyze it in my mind and I especially like the lore that goes with it. You won't find lore in the history books, just facts mostly, and I am finding that many of them aren't accurate. I had a history teacher in college that taught American History and I never saw her use a note or open a book. She knew her facts and she was accurate. I found that in itself amazing. She was quite old then and I am sure she is gone now, but I enjoyed her class. Monty

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hated it in HS - had a lousy teacher.

Got to college, had a good teacher - liked it.

Of course, MDing really helps me like history!!

backitup83

Jan 24, 2006
Chesapeake Virginia
Detector(s) used
(XLT-x 2 ) )(BH Sharp Shooter 2) (Coinmaster 4000/D series2)(Coinmaster 2/DB series 2)(Discovery 2)(Discovery 1000)
I hated World History,,,But Local History-with in getting too distance History-has always been something I have been greatly interested in. I did injoy Texas History,I may live in Virginia but am from Texas. I could not get enough, The Cival War has another place in my heart too. Pirates have also been something that has held my attention for hours on end. History is such a broad spectrum, There are so many directions to go in, its like a candy store filled with sugar Candy's, chocolates,and you can go in any direction you want to, and take in as much as you want. Texas has a lot of History, Virginia has as much if not more, the Civil War, Colonial times, battle sights, I wont bore you with all the details,LOL, We even had a local Witch ducking near by at one time. Matter of fact Witch Duck road is being widened pretty soon,alot of the homes have been bought up and removed just for that purpose. Alot of the farm land here goes back to colonial times as well. I Live up the street from where the Battle of Great Bridge was held, the original bridge is not there of course but the replacement bridge is holding up pretty well. I drive over and by the site ever day twice-to-from,,,,There are some pylons off to one side of the the new bridge, and I cant helps but wonder if those are the supports for the original bridge.
The original question about history is hard to answer , but give me some time and I will have a good answer for you...
Mike

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
Couldn't stand History class, who needs it? It's in the past, LOL. Now I don't just want to see and learn it, but I actually try to imagine how it was back in the day when this item was handled and lost.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
backitup83 said:
I hated World History,,,But Local History-with in getting too distance History-has always been something I have been greatly interested in. I did injoy Texas History,I may live in Virginia but am from Texas. I could not get enough, The Cival War has another place in my heart too. Pirates have also been something that has held my attention for hours on end. History is such a broad spectrum, There are so many directions to go in, its like a candy store filled with sugar Candy's, chocolates,and you can go in any direction you want to, and take in as much as you want. Texas has a lot of History, Virginia has as much if not more, the Civil War, Colonial times, battle sights, I wont bore you with all the details,LOL, We even had a local Witch ducking near by at one time. Matter of fact Witch Duck road is being widened pretty soon,alot of the homes have been bought up and removed just for that purpose. Alot of the farm land here goes back to colonial times as well. I Live up the street from where the Battle of Great Bridge was held, the original bridge is not there of course but the replacement bridge is holding up pretty well. I drive over and by the site ever day twice-to-from,,,,There are some pylons off to one side of the the new bridge, and I cant helps but wonder if those are the supports for the original bridge.
The original question about history is hard to answer , but give me some time and I will have a good answer for you...
Mike

Was Never a Big Civil War Fan, Bought Books
& Tried to read Them But it was Like reading
a Book about wind. just couldn't get it.
This is Mainly Because I don't live where
the Civil War Happened.

Couldn't Get into the American Revolution either.

But French & Indian War Yes Because like
local histories, it Mentions
Areas I Can Picture in my Head While Reading.

I Think I Have ADD When it
comes to things that Don't Intrest me :wink:
I Know I had it when Listening to Teachers

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always enjoyed history in school...no matter if it was local, ancient history, or world history. I guess it was because of the stories my mother use to tell me when I was young when she lived during the depression and World War 2. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
In high school I hated history, the same boring stuff year after year. But in college, I had a teacher who, when he taught, you thought you were walking with everyone else in downtown Williamsburg. Colonial America was his specialty. Thank you Dr. Dixon.

txpathfinder

Feb 4, 2008
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I have always been drawn to period. In film, art, fashion whatever. In fact, one of my recurrent themes has been how great it would be to go back in the past. How about 1939-40 so I could buy 2 copies of Superman no. 1, or maybe just 40 years ago, so I could sock away a few rolls of pure silver coinage at face value. Ever read Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court." Give it a spin- it's the original time travel tale.
As someone who has taught and has always wished to teach history I enjoyed hearing what people liked about their history classes and what they disliked in this post. It is sad that history is presented so abstractly in the younger grades and that it is not until college that the subject opens up and can be deconstructed. I remember being blown away by economics, comparative world religion and history, sociology and a course called Foundations of American Political Thought taught by Ralph Ketcham at Syracuse University.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I loved history * but had seroiusly boring teachers with deadly boring methods of learning --the dreaded remember these dates and things I write on the chalkboard class -- it will basically be your test to barf them back up on on a test paper on command ---yech they sucked !! -- my high school history teacher was (duh) the football coach (dumb as a fence post)-- sad thing was he was often wrong and sloppy in his historical facts --and hated being shown the correct answer in the text book --a double whammy for me since I was on the football team as well -- what a high school lineman with brains? -- that was also the chess club president --unheard of. ---he hated me for being smart --told me just shut up and sleep --you'll get a A+===ok?

my wife is a music teacher (3rd thru 5th grade)- the kids listen to music from various times in her class -- included are the civil war * -- the california gold rush* --and music form far away places like aussie land * --I tried very hard to get my wife to use "props" in her class for her civil war event ( civil war artifacts that I've found)--the kids went wild for it and now she trys to include hands on or visual items to prevent the death by teaching boring classes .

M

michigan michael

I loved it! I did not carry a good grade because I would end up day dreaming different things from what I was reading or being taught but, none the less I loved it!

beepbeep

Mar 16, 2008
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Shadow X2, Garrett Ace 150, White XLT, V3
I didn't care much for history in high school, but now my spouse and I can't get enough of it. We snatch up history books for our area whenever we find them at estate sales, garage sales or thrift stores. They can provide a wealth of information for researching our next spot to detect.

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I have always loved history. It drives my wife crazy, I know so much about what happened 100 or 200 or more ago but I don't care what happened last week. she says my head is full of useless information. I am always watching the history channel or looking something history related online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions