Need help picking out the right Metal Detector

Mentalfloss

May 9, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
As some of you know I am going to move to Hawaii and been thinking a lot about doing some Metal Detecting while I'm there, my wife bought me a cheap MD but if I'm going to be hitting the beaches in Hawaii with heavy competition I'm going to need a descent detector

i seen this on tnet o MP3 Pro With 10" Coil: Condition: Demo MP3 Pro with 10" Coil.
o Pre-owned Garrett GTP 1350:
o Viper Trident - :Condition: Refurbished

I'm just trying to stay under $500

Upvote 0

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st off thank you for your service to or Country. If I was land hunting I would pick a Tesoro Silver Sabre. Plus a small coil also would work good in dry sand. 2nd pick the ACE 250 BY GARRETT both detectors can be had from a good dealer for less than $ 250 If looking to water hunt I would try the DetectorPro Pirate pro $399.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget the detectors you listed, the only half way decent one is the Garrett. All the land detectors will work OK on the dry sand, sometimes as those islands have different soils/sand and many there swear by Minelabs and Pulse detectors as many others are unstable.

OP
OP
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss

May 9, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
I really like the ACE 250 well i like what people say about the ACE 250 but would it be ok for the beach with the salt and all. I'm sure i will just be on the dry sand hunting around for stuff people drop. you guys are the experts and know what works well. i am going to start looking at Minelabs and Pulse detectors
thanks for the help

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I expect the ACE 250 will give you lots of fun on the dry sand. Keep cell phone off till you need it and don't be afraid to turn down sensitivity if it gets squirrelly.

OP
OP
Mentalfloss

Mentalfloss

May 9, 2006
Oahu, Hawaii
Ok just did some looking around and i found this Minelab X-Terra 30 Pro Metal Detector -2 COILS it sounds like something I'm looking for what have you guy heard about it good or bad for Hawaii beaches i would up grade to Minelab X-Terra 505 Metal Detector if you guys think this would be a better buy for the beaches

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The 505 is going to be a better choice, with more flexibility. I use a 705 myself and its a great all rounder for me, but the 505 would be a great choice and better at the beach than the 30.

TheHawg

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2009
Charleston, SC area
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher CZ-21, DetectorPro PI
I vote for the Fisher CZ-3D. Great on dry land as well as saltwater beaches. Just don't get it wet.
It will cost about $750 though.
TheHawg

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I bought a refurb trident just to give the water a try. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a water machine when I don't go in very often. It worked but nothing spectacular. I don't get to the beach often but since you will be there all the time, look around for a good used machine. The X70 is a great machine and if you can get all 3 frequency coils you can't go wrong. That being said if you want to start going into the water, look for a used water/land machine that will work for you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your going to live in Hawaii why don't you hunt where the majority of the silver, gold and platinum jewelry is found......In the wet sand and in the water.

If i was moving to Hawaii and wanting to metal detect the beaches there I would be in the water, I beach hunt here in Florida, there is 100 times more jewelry found in the wet sand (from people playing and swimming at high tides) and in the water then in the dry sand, there is a 100 times more trash in the dry sand then in the wet sand and water........

Forget the ones you listed, get a good water detector, a Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field or other PI unit, Whites Beach Hunter 300 and go in the water where most of the jewelry is found.

If you are 100% positive you will never go in the water, get a Sovereign GT and put a Coiltek 15 inch Coil on it. You will not find a better beach wet sand / dry sand machine then the Sovereign GT, and when you add the WOT coil you will have a beach vaccum. The Sovereign is the land version of the Excal......

Remember wet sand use to be under water at high tide, only place you will find more jewelry then in wet sand is in the water. You want a machine that can handle the salt water mineralization....None of those listed can handle the salt water mineralization like you need. It is like going dove hunting with a 22, it will work but not well. If your going dove hunting take a shoot gun, if your going beach hunting in Hawaii take a water machine. If you want to compete, you need a water machine to compete with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread