Hi, New To Metal Detecting

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Hi, I am considering getting a metal detector and need some advice.
I am considering the Fisher F4, Titan 3000, or Minelab Xterra 305.
I want to detect on land and on beach. At least a couple feet in the
surf, but not completely underwater. I need a detector that is light
and easy to maneuver too. Hoping to spend less than $500.

I live in an old town, established in the early 1600's in the Northeast.
I hope I can find some old coins and treasure. Any advice for getting
into the hobby appreciated.

Upvote 0

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
The Fisher F4 is a good machine. If memory serves me the coil on the X-Terra is not waterproof.
Tesoro make a nice line of machines as well about the lightest on the market.
500.00 will buy a fair bit of machine, remember headphones are extra when shopping and good headphones go a long way in success.
I'm sure there will be others with some ideas. :thumbsup:

mi77915

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out of the (3) you listed, I'd go with the F4

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for your replies. I have been doing some research in my area,
and am now looking at the Minelab Sovereign GT. It seems it's great
on wet sand and in the surf, as well as on land. It is a bit pricey,
and definitely more than I wanted to spend. On the other hand, I am
wondering if I should start with something great, rather than waste
gathering detectors along the way?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Sovereign GT is about the best you can use on the beaches and land too. Treasure Hunter, Neilo and Max of VA use them along with the water version, the Excal. Most of the other land detectors will have a rough time staying stable in the surf and are prone to getting ruined by saltwater traveling up the shaft to the guts. Not so with the Sov. GT. Even so a spill will get any land detector wet and could ruin it. That is why many use the Excal, the water version near the water.

I don't think you can get a better compromise on a land/beach detector than the GT.

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Wow, that is a great endorsement.
It will be tricky to hunt, dig, and keep the detector safe
at the same time, but I will have to figure that out.
I will not use it in deep water, that is for sure.
Thanks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to hunt the beaches, be very careful with any non water proof detector. If your in 2 foot of water a rouge wave will make a paper weight of a non waterproof detector. I hunt a lot of beaches, I can not count how many times I have been caught by a wave I didn't see coming as I was busy trying to recover a target and been knocked down and or rolled....

Personally I would not take any of my non water proof detectors any deeper then mid calf in the water. Too many holes to trip on, rouge waves, and any number of other things to trip on including my own feet to take the chance.....

Now as far as the Sovereign GT goes, you will not find a better beach machine then the Sovereign, if you combine it with Coiltek's WOT coil it becomes a beach vaccum. I own 2 of them, one is waterproofed with a Ikelite case so I can use it in the surf, the other is the Stock Sovereign, except I have both a WOT 15" coil and the SEF Butterfly 15"x18" coil for it.

Just a suggestion, but you might look for a good used Sovereign off the boards from a respected member. I currently own 6 detectors, 2 Excal 1000's with WOT coils, 2 Sovereign GTs with WOT coils (one is waterproofed), a Fisher 1235X for competition hunting, and a Whites 6000 XL Pro. all but one of the Sovereigns were bought used off the boards, all worked perfectly when I received them.

I have saved a lot of money buying them used, just like a car there is depreciation when you buy a detector. I just bought an Excal 1000 used off a detector board for $525 shipped to my home. I added a WOT coil I picked up used for $80, a waterproof splice for about $20 more and then custom built straight shaft for $25. I have a total of $650 into it and I could sell it for that a year from now if I choose. A new Excal will cost you $1200, and doesn't come with a WOT coil or the straight shaft.

Of the total of 10 detectors I have bought since starting 3.5 years ago, (I enjoy playing with them) I only bought 2 new, and of of the 2 new I traded in first new one on the only other new one I bought, my first Sovereign GT. I sold an Excal I bought used after owning it for 18 months for $75 less then I paid for it and that doesn't take in to consideration the diamond rings, gold rings, silver rings, watches and coins I found with it.....

If you have the money and don't want to buy used detector, remember there are other suplies needed for the beach. You will need a good scoop, which will cost you new $150-$200, don't waste time on a cheap scoop that will break on you after a few months, wet sand weighs a ton.... I made the mistake of thinking $60 was a lot of money for a scoop and it broke within a month, get a good one to begin with and save that $40-$70 you think you can get by with....A good scoop will holds its value in the long run. My first good scoop was a Beach Brute I, I got it used off a board for $100, used it for 2 years, sold it for $75 and used that money to buy the Beach Brute II for $189.

Like Sandman says, you will not go wrong buying the Sovereign GT. You will also never go wrong following any advice Sandman gives out either...... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
Thanks for all the great advice here. I will try to be extra careful
with any detector I use. Being this is my first detector and first
time hunting, I don't plan on going any more than a foot or two in
the ocean.

I will use the stock coil, but I will consider upgrading if I make some
finds. I plan on buying new, because I don't know enough to be able
to disregard a bad machine. I am also going to go light on the
accessories at first. There are a lot of good accessories out there
though. This hobby is not cheap! I notice a lot of people on the
boards have a lot of metal detectors.

Thanks Treasure_Hunter, you gave a great endorsement
on the Sovereign GT. I will consider what both you and
Sandman have written.

dazoff

Aug 7, 2007
Lower Mainland Vancouver,BC
Detector(s) used
To many to say
Till last year I had over 50 detectors at the moment around 25 still thinning the heard.
The Sov is a great machine take the time to get to know it and your recovery of finds will take care of the rest. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
H

hyaci

Apr 25, 2009
dazoff said:
Till last year I had over 50 detectors at the moment around 25 still thinning the heard.
The Sov is a great machine take the time to get to know it and your recovery of finds will take care of the rest. :thumbsup:

I know a lot of the people here have more than one detector, but 25-50?!
You've made collecting metal detectors a hobby in itself, *lol*.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread