Which unit has best discrimination?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am considering purchasing another detector for coin/jewelery hunting. I currently own a Fisher CZ5 and Tesoro Vaquero. These are good machines but Fisher loves deep iron..and the Vaquero is not much better..So in your opinion, which unit or manufacturer has the best discrimination? Not into relic hunting... I need a good unit for finding coins and gold jewelry. Any information would be a help...Thanks everyone!!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the CZ-6a and know about the loving iron nails. Suggest you check into the Minelab Sov. GT as it has Iron Mask and also disc. Mine can pick up a gold ring with a large nail through it, but won't see the nail. You have to do it to believe it. Naturally it will respond to any large iron just like all the rest too. http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtest/5457

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Newfiehunter:

You already have two detectors that have what it takes. It's not the detector's
fault if you set them with too much discrimination or too high a sensitivitiy or
work them too high off the ground or swing too fast. The CZs will false with
Sens set too high.
The reason I can say all this is because I bought too many detectors over the
years without sticking with one and learning how to make it talk to me.
Try this, go back to the last place you dug old silver and set the CZ to iron
Disc and dig every signal. Then use the Tesoro likewise and if you get no more
old finds, coins or jewelry, you can leave there knowing you got it all with the
exception of gold coins. Yep, use no Disc at all if you want all the gold.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lastleg...

I agree with everything you just said..I have a tendency to rely too much on the meter on the CZ5...which is probably my main problem....especially when it comes to finding gold...I can only set the sensitivity on 4 because it will false if it is set beyond that..and I am careful about my sweep speed..keeping it at a moderate pace.

I have made some great coin finds...but my drought has been way too long when it comes to finding gold. Anyway..thanks for your advice Lastleg.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Newfiehunter:

I think we are all going to have to go with bigger coils to get that extra
depth in gone over areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread