Power Thoughts To Achieve Greater Detecting Success

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Power Thoughts. The biggest difference between successful & unsuccessful people, is their attitude towards risk. When your fear of failure stops you from taking action, it also prevents you from acquiring the knowledge & skill required to be successful. Failure is the greatest teacher though. Thomas Edison tried literally thousands of different materials before he discovered that tungsten would be the right substance for producing the light bulb.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. ~ Thomas A. Edison

Don't be discouraged by a failure. It can be a positive experience. Failure is, in a sense, the highway to success, inasmuch as every discovery of what is false leads us to seek earnestly after what is true, and every fresh experience points out some form of error which we shall afterwards carefully avoid. ~ John Keats

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

You always pass failure on the way to success. ~ Mickey Rooney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Luckily, success in treasure hunting is much easier than inventing the light bulb! The one thing you'll share with Edison, if you choose to get serious, though, is the will to keep trying despite fear, self doubt & the occasional failure. So don't give up!

Today is the Day! ~ Mel Fisher

Upvote 0

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
The Jersey Devil said:
Power Thoughts. Edison tried literally thousands of different materials before he discovered that tungsten would be the right substance for producing the light bulb.

Actually, Edison used burnt carbon. Tungsten wasn't used until 1910, thirty years after Edison's bulb.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Positive thinking is essential for successful metal detecting. Visualization is another tool to achieve your desired results. Don't want to go into detail about how it works, but professional athletes use this technique in their field.....so why can't we? Basically, it involves relaxing....and focusing on what you do and reenacting in your mind your desired results. For example, if you want to find a gold coin, imagine yourself in a field....with your detector.....suddenly..you receive a signal...and then you dig a beautiful gold coin...Imagine that feeling...and holding it in your hands for the first time......that is visualization......Try it...it's mind over matter....

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
I write affirmations for what I desire to manifest!

Affirmations of Abundant Supply:

* I am now open to receive Canadian Club
* Life is easy, I have an abundance of Vernors Ginger Ale
* I now have beer pretzels, all my needs are being met.
* I have unlimited abundance of ice cubes
* I now give and receive freely when I am drunk
* This is a rich universe and there is plenty for all of us…IF you BYOB
* I now live in a rich and loving universe wearing beer goggles
* Hooch comes to me easily and effortlessly
* I am always supplied with swizzle sticks and little umbrellas
* I move forward with an expectancy of my greatest table dance
* I look for and receive a bountiful supply of garnishes
* My greatest good is coming to me before last call.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
Newfiehunter said:
Positive thinking is essential for successful metal detecting. Visualization is another tool to achieve your desired results. Don't want to go into detail about how it works, but professional athletes use this technique in their field.....so why can't we? Basically, it involves relaxing....and focusing on what you do and reenacting in your mind your desired results. For example, if you want to find a gold coin, imagine yourself in a field....with your detector.....suddenly..you receive a signal...and then you dig a beautiful gold coin...Imagine that feeling...and holding it in your hands for the first time......that is visualization......Try it...it's mind over matter....

I don't think the analogy holds.

Athletes use visualization to make their bodies behave they way they want them to behave. Fine. But all the visualization in the world won't put a gold coin in the field you're searching if it wasn't there to begin with.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Danhughes1

That is the kind of thinking that gets you nowhere...Athletes use visualization....for example...catching a the game winning TD or shooting baskets...to improve performance...mentally...not just physically in their field. I am using the analogy of that to making better finds...if you visualize yourself making a great find. ...then chances are you will....If you go out with the attitude that you are not going to find anything....you probably won't. I have read many books in the field of affirmations...positive thinking..and visualization.....and if you are mentally prepared...it works..believe me..I have tried it and it has improved my success...

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
It's my opinion that in your case, visualization makes you work harder and longer, and so you find more stuff. But it's the working longer and harder that does the trick, not the "seeing" yourself making great finds.

"The harder I work, the luckier I get." Your visualization techniques give you the energy and the sticktoitiveness you need to succeed, and that's great. Whatever gets you going.

For me, I feel I'm more productive when I take the time to carefully study the area, do the research, ferret out the most likely spots, and then hit it slowly and steadily. That's when I'm at my best.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan

I agree with what you just said...Skill, Hard work and research play an important part...and is a necessity....for success. However..they say we only use one tenth of our minds...and if that is the case.. visualization..is just another tool....to use to increase success in any field. I am not saying that by "seeing" you will find what you want you desire...I would give you an example of how this worked for me for a specific item I was looking for but that would be a long story...but it worked and it was more than just coincidence or luck...and yes...skill...hard work and research...was also important for recovering this item...I scoffed at the idea of visualization at first however.. I have used it with success. It is always a good idea to have an open mind....not a closed one...

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
For what it's worth, that "Ten percent of your brain" legend is just not true:

http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp

As for keeping an open mind, I think that to you that means trust in faith. To me it means believing things unproven because it would be nice if they were true.

So I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

Hey, and we're both finding good stuff with our very different methods! Love it!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dan

Obviously, we have different views on the subject. I am not a religious person by any means..and faith has nothing to do with it. Visualization and faith are two different entities altogether. Anyway...you may be a naysayer...but professional athletes use visualization.....otherwise..they wouldn't waste their time doing it. Is Hypnosis a proven technique? Yes...it is. So why can't metal detectorists use visualization along with skill, hard work and research? It doesn't hurt.

If anyone else would like to weigh in on the subject....join in....

Dan, as you stated...We are both successful..using our own techniques..so let's leave it at that. Good luck.

Check out this site

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tips-for-Mastering-Visualization-Techniques&id=15315

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's pretty simple! You use your brain to find the sites, legs to walk around, arms to swing the detector, ears to hear the sounds, brain to choose where to spend the most time, arms to dig the holes, and after that whatever happens, happens. Far more of my energy is getting to a good spot to dig because once I get there it's all routine and what is there, is what I'll find. The one thing I've debated with myself over the years is if there's really such thing as luck in detecting. I still am not sure, but do know on my 18th/19th century site success is simply a numbers game and you might not always find the best target, but if you dig more than your friend each time out over the course of the year you will have more quality finds. My diggin bud and I probably dig about the same, and if we look at the number of keepers it is also about the same. So if I had to sum up success in detecting it would be put a huge effort into finding quality places to hunt, and when you get there dig like hell and hope the detecting God is smiling that day.

Positive thinking, maybe, but it's more the determination that goes with the positive thinking that makes the difference. I agree with the above statement ... if it's not there you can't find it. This holds true for me this year because I have never found so few military buttons in a year yet we found many new and productive old sites. It really makes no sense other than they just weren't there.

kando

Nov 14, 2008
,U.S.A. almost in Canada
Detector(s) used
....Tesoro conquistador , minelab sovereign
I wiil say that power thoughts ..power beards.. power lunch...ect...ect putting the word power in front of all these words is the most stupid thing i ever heard. When i first heard them put power in front of these words years ago i thought it was stupid and i still think it is stupid..........

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kando said:
I wiil say that power thoughts ..power beards.. power lunch...ect...ect putting the word power in front of all these words is the most stupid thing i ever heard. When i first heard them put power in front of these words years ago i thought it was stupid and i still think it is stupid..........

Unfortunately you're "powerless" to do anything about it. ;D

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
And so am i " powerless " to do any thing about it. But i don' care for that prefix it is just something that we made up that is not worth crap. Let me see if i had a beard i would have more power if i called it a power beard I don't think so . It would still be a beard a plain old beard.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
vibes said:
I write affirmations for what I desire to manifest!

Affirmations of Abundant Supply:

* I am now open to receive Canadian Club
* Life is easy, I have an abundance of Vernors Ginger Ale
* I now have beer pretzels, all my needs are being met.
* I have unlimited abundance of ice cubes
* I now give and receive freely when I am drunk
* This is a rich universe and there is plenty for all of us…IF you BYOB
* I now live in a rich and loving universe wearing beer goggles
* Hooch comes to me easily and effortlessly
* I am always supplied with swizzle sticks and little umbrellas
* I move forward with an expectancy of my greatest table dance
* I look for and receive a bountiful supply of garnishes
* My greatest good is coming to me before last call.

I'm getting thirsty all of a sudden. Make it Grey Goose. Thanks.

Dan Hughes

Aug 26, 2008
Champaign, IL
Detector(s) used
Several
plehbah said:
And to think of all the goats I have been through.

So much waste, so much blood..........

But seriously, before I give the herd away, do you really believe that visualization and/or research combined with determination are really as effective as goat sacrifice in terms of producing good finds?

What about using all three techniques in conjunction to become the metal detectorist that inhabits the nightmares of other metal detectorists?

Research beats goat sacrifice hands down. Visualization does not.

But visualization is a lot less messy, so I'd say that's the way to go if you have an either/or situation.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I've decided to let everyone on this thread in on my secret to success. I think any color works fine but I am not 100% sure of that.

Attachments

• thinking-cap.jpg
    thinking-cap.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 142

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
danhughes1 said:
plehbah said:
And to think of all the goats I have been through.

So much waste, so much blood..........

But seriously, before I give the herd away, do you really believe that visualization and/or research combined with determination are really as effective as goat sacrifice in terms of producing good finds?

What about using all three techniques in conjunction to become the metal detectorist that inhabits the nightmares of other metal detectorists?

Research beats goat sacrifice hands down. Visualization does not.

But visualization is a lot less messy, so I'd say that's the way to go if you have an either/or situation.

Unless it's a goat field you want to hunt, than getting a few out of the way could be an advantage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread