New to Metal Detecting

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Hello everyone,

I usually spend most of my time on the Coin-focused threads, but I've been interested in buying a detector for a while, but not sure what to get. I live in the desert, so there isn't a good chance that it would be exposed to water, so I dont believe I would need one capable of that. What I'd be looking for would be coins and other smaller bits, like buttons and such, and if possible, raw metal. Its very sandy where I live, and I dont know if that would be a problem or not. Im not sure how much money Im going to be able to invest in this, but it would be nice if they were around $300.

And one other thing, I was at a Tuesday morning yesterday, and they had a kinda cheap lookin detector, from the brand Treasure Cove. I opened it, and the detector looked nice, and I bought one of their cheap little kid detector many years ago at a garage sale. Im including a link to the detector I found, the Tuesday Morning had it for $99.95. Im not sure if it would be worth buying or not, so Im asking all of you for your opinion.

http://treasure-cove.com/products/TC-1023/

Thank You for your help,

Alex.

Upvote 0

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Don't buy that junk, you won't be happy. Spend another 100.00 and get a decent detector. The Garrett Ace 250, the FIsher F2 or the Whites new Coinmaster or a Tesoro. You can compare the features at Kellyco's website (detector comparison tool)

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Thats what my dad said when he saw it. :laughing9:

Ok, I'll look into those detectors. Thanks.

Does anyone have or had in the past a White's Prizm 3? a local hobby shop that I frequent and trust very much, has one for $349.95. They also have a couple others, but they are way too expensive.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with a whites coinmaster or classic series, or the garrett ace 250 over the prizm.
$350 is way too much for a prizm 3.

Check out http://www.kellycodetectors.com/indexmain.php and stay with a well known brand like Whites, Garrett, Tesero, Bounty Hunter, Minelab Etc..

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
I did like you guys said, and looked at Kellyco and looked at what you guys were recommending, but when i showed my parents, they said that they would not let me spend that much money on it. I looked a little more, and found a couple good looking detectors for about $100. The one that I seem to like is the Bounty hunter Fast tracker. Only one problem though, Im 6'3", and looking at the pictures of that detector, I'd be hunched over tryin to detect. Anyone have a recommendation for a detector that isnt child sized, and around $100 to $150?

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
The Bounty Hunter Quicksilver and Garrett 150 are also around my price range. Any input on those? Sorry for posting so much, I just want to make an informed purchase so I can have a machine that will last me a long time.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait a minute? If your 6,3 cant you persuade your parents to spend a little more? :thumbsup:

mrjosh

Aug 1, 2008
Paducah, Kentucky & Hendersonville, Tn
Detector(s) used
Prizm III.
bullseye pinpointer
Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
alexfm123 said:
Thats what my dad said when he saw it. :laughing9:

Ok, I'll look into those detectors. Thanks.

Does anyone have or had in the past a White's Prizm 3? a local hobby shop that I frequent and trust very much, has one for $349.95. They also have a couple others, but they are way too expensive.

I use the Prizm 3. It seems to be decent. I wish I would have spent a little more and got the 4 but all in all it has been a good detector. If you are starting out it will do you fine till you know if you want to spend more on a more expensive model. I do recomend that you get a pinpointer also.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alexfm123 said:
I did like you guys said, and looked at Kellyco and looked at what you guys were recommending, but when i showed my parents, they said that they would not let me spend that much money on it. I looked a little more, and found a couple good looking detectors for about $100. The one that I seem to like is the Bounty hunter Fast tracker. Only one problem though, Im 6'3", and looking at the pictures of that detector, I'd be hunched over tryin to detect. Anyone have a recommendation for a detector that isnt child sized, and around $100 to $150?

Alex, If I am not out of line, just how old are you at 6'3"?

If your going to get a detector, buy a real detector not a toy. You can buy a good used one off of the "for sale" board here, or get a new one. Why waste a $100-$150 for a toy when you can buy a real detector for $300-$400. There is no resale value for a toy, but there is on a real detector........

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
Treasure_Hunter said:
alexfm123 said:

Alex, If I am not out of line, just how old are you at 6'3"?

If your going to get a detector, buy a real detector not a toy. You can buy a good used one off of the "for sale" board here, or get a new one. Why waste a $100-$150 for a toy when you can buy a real detector for $300-$400. There is no resale value for a toy, but there is on a real detector........
No, I dont think you're out of line asking. Im 16. Turn 17 in... a little over 2 weeks. And before someone says it, my parents arent gonna buy it for Christmas or birthday. Moneys a little tight for my parents, thats why Im trying to buy it myself. I think I will look at the "For Sale" board as well.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's input.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some great buys recently on Craigslist.

Good luck. Hope you find something nice.
HH
Steve

OP
OP
alexfm123

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
I found another detector just a little while ago, but Im kinda iffy about this one as well. It is a GC 1010/GC 3010, and the guy on craigslist says it comes with everything except batteries. But this one looks a little cheap too. I think I will be able to bargain him down to $40 or $50. what do you guys think of that?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several really good detectors used for sale from very reputable members on the "For Sale" board, Check it out.......The Fisher Coin Strike is very good as are the Tesoros......

Good luck

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alexfm123 said:
I've looked at that board, but a lot of those detectors are way out of my price range. ;D Im just a poor college kid. :)

I know in your opening post you said "it would be nice if they were around $300." There are some very good buys in that range there now. If your wanting to hunt coins, that Coin Strike is a great buy, as are the Tesoros.

The Coin Stirke was a $1000 machine when new......Below is link for some reviews on it.......The good thing about buying a great detector used is the depreciation was lost by previous owners.

http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/45-1-fishercoinstrike.html

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone suggested the Coinmaster from White's, it is the same as a Prizm 3 but a cheaper build. At $179 I don't thing you can go wrong with it.

I picked up a Tesoro Conquistador off CL with carrying case and headphones for $150 and I see Cutlass II's selling for around 150-165 on the boards quite often. Be patient and the right deal will come along.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe in getting first rate machines regardless of the price tag. That means you can get first rate machines in the price range you are looking at. Stick with Garretts's 150 or 250 or Whites and you can't go wrong. Spend less money on some other brands and you will be disappointed and will have thrown your money away. From my point of view an Ace 250 will be with you from now on. You can find them for around $200.00 used on this and other forum sites.

Just my .02.

A

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS - I'm not knocking the Tesoros, Minelabs, ets. I've just owned and enjoyed the Whites and now have Garretts and wouldn't trade them (except maybe for other Garretts).

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Tesoro Compadre for my first detector, but wasn't crazy about it. I then bought an Ace 250 "used" but in like new condition on eBay. Got a great deal and love it. My son has the Ace 150, but once you've used the 250, it's hard to use the 150. Love my 250. Take your time and find a good deal. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread