TARGET ID AND DEPTH

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
I recently discovered something about my metal detector that I suppose everyone on the planet knew except me. That is, when a coin is very deep, target ID doesn't work.

I air tested a quarter at far "depth" and found that my meter needle (analog) remains way to the ?left at iron and stays there when ?I get a "beep" in VLF disc; the All Metal mode gives a mellow sound. I turned the Disc down to zero. One day I was desperate for something to read. I actually read the owner's manual and that's what is said all along. Along with practice target identification which I haven't done; will do when the weather warms up.

I got all excited when I learned this. I said I can now find really deep coins. In practice what I found were tiny bits of metal at shallow depths. I suppose one could go along retrieving tiny bits of metal until a deep signal appears. I did it for a bit but ran out of patience rapidly. I ?turned up the Disc and went only for quarter and better signals.

I presume that if I turned up the Disc to eliminate the tiny bits of metal I would also eliminate any signals for really deep coins.

I suppose that this target ID, depth, Disc setting phenomena obtains also ?for the modern digital detectors. Any thoughts?

Attached is a nice photo of pyrite for no particular reason.

Peter

Attachments

• PYRITE Spain.jpg
    PYRITE Spain.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi peter. You're right about the VID going only so deep. Most stop at about 8 or 9 inches.

I don't know what machine you're using but there really doesn't seem to be much real difference in MOST VLF's since the early 80's. The meter readouts have numbers now instead of the old needle but it's a little questionable that the latest are really all that much better than the earlier meters on those old top machines of the 1980's to 90's.

In fact, I've seen some old TR machines that I think could maybe beat some VLF's today in basic depth.

I'm liking my new Tesoro and having fun with it. I think there are some advantages in it over most of the older machines of all brands. But, that's yet to be seen in actual hunting.

Take care and happy hunting.

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
i am a sound man..get some good headphones...i listing for sounds and then check the id..i can get the id to tell me different thinks if i sweep it a few times but the sound dose not change.....allot of times i will shut the target id right off you be surprised...your ears become your eyes...i can tell the difference between a quarter,a dime and a nickle just by sound...some times i think i can tell if a coin is on its side but by the time i get to it it's in my tool laying flat..

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yeah it's an inherent problems with all VLFs. Learn to live with it.

Actually, I just posted to compliment you on your photo of those really beautifull pyrite crystals.
Is that a photo of a thumbnail specimen or do those have any size to them?

George

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice pictures. I can't seem to get my camera to focus right up close, but that's maybe a question for another post.

As Zeb said, the target ID meter is not accurate at depth and can be off too on a coin on edge or two different coins together. Wear ear phones to hear the tiny sounds that indicate a deep or tiny target. Meters add cost to detectors and might be useful if your only looking for dimes for an example. Chances are you will dig other targets that are at the same conductivity range. Just so you'll get an idea of what it COULD BE.

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread