New member, new to metal detecting. Looking at Whites Surf PI Pro

C

carymars

Hi Folks,

I've recently started to look seriously at purchasing a metal detector and would appreciate some advice.

I live in the San Diego area which has beach and black sand conditions which I'd like to explore. I'd be out in the surf but no underwater stuff unless I get hit by a big wave.

From the research I've done so far, the PI detectors appear to be the technology of choice. And I've been most interested in the White's Surf PI Pro at this point. I've visited one of the local White's dealers but I wasn't terribly impressed with the level of expertise I encountered. So I'm looking for some sage advice concerning this matter.

I know there's been much discussion regarding pricing of detectors. And while I'd like to throw some business to a local company, I can't do so if I'm not confident in his/her ability to give me good advice and service.

I've got other questions, but I'm running late to work.

Thanks for any comments

Upvote 0

northeast hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2005
NEW HAMPSHIRE
first things first...welcome to the forum...and if you are looking for info on just about any type of detector you found the right place..with that said...all i can tell you about the pi is i have had one for about four months...used about 20 to 23 hours..
first if you don't mind digging everything this is a great option..the pi detector..man can this thing find metal..bobby pins...pieces of lobster cages...silver...gold ...clad...the list goes on,
you Will dig your share of trash...foil seems to be almost invisible..they say that the pi Can get great depth...21'' or so..
i like it..i have yet to find my first gold with it but i bet it's not far away
as far as pinpointing goes...you will get the hang of it before long
price wise...should pay for itself in the first year
battery life about ten hours
here are a few finds i have found in the limited time i have used the pi

Attachments

• 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 341
  • pifds.JPG
    pifds.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 302
  • sring.JPG
    sring.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 307
  • sring.JPG
    sring.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 232
  • pifds.JPG
    pifds.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 226
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 231

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
my hunting buddy and i use a fisher impulse. There has not been a lot writen on this forum about it but we have found that it gets great depth and it is easy to pin point with. Between the two of us we average about fifty or more gold rings a year. we live in ohio and do not get to hunt when the lake freezes.I have used this machine in the salt water and black sand with no problem as it is a silent run non motion pulse machine. 8)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Willy is right about waiting a couple months for the new machines to come out. First, I am sorry ou have to work. I ty to avoid it still out of habit.

The Garrett Infinium is one choice, Tesoro Sand Shark is another. Minelab Excalibur has a lot of followers and I have no trouble in salt water with it and it does have discrimination while the PI's don't really. If a Lifetime warranty is important, the Tesoro has this.

If you do decide on a PI, buy a big stong stainless steel scoop as you will need it and it will hold up.

HH,
Sandman

OP
OP
C

carymars

I just ordered the White's PI Pro yesterday and should be getting it in a few days.

I also purchased a stainless steel scoop, but it doesn't have the long handle that I'd prefer. The dealer didn't have any stainless long-handled ones just the aluminum ones. Looks like I'll have to search the net for that item.

Thanks for your responses....I'll be getting my feet wet this coming weekend I hope.

Gold_pinger

Mar 3, 2004
carymars said:
I also purchased a stainless steel scoop, but it doesn't have the long handle that I'd prefer.? The dealer didn't have any stainless long-handled ones just the aluminum ones.? Looks like I'll have to search the net for that item.

I extended my short handle scoop with a aluminum tent pole I found in the trash at a local campground.
Works great and lasts a long time.

Attachments

• tip-md-3.jpg
    tip-md-3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 218

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread