Metal Detecting in the Freezing Cold...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been metal detecting since Spring and can't get enough of it. I've gone every weekend and when I get a Friday off work I've gone too. The Friday's I've especially liked since the wife's at work and kids are at school so I'm not missed at home. Well, I have tomorrow off so you guessed it. I'm heading out in the morning. My only concern is the weather. It's freaking cold out. It's been in the 20's and windy as heck. The wind is supposed to die down, but the cold will still be here. Fortunately, the ground is not frozen solid yet. So, I'm gonna bundle up and head out to a cellar hole I've been hitting lately. Hopefully I'll come home with a nice relic or two. Still looking for my first barber as well. That would be an awesome end to the season.

-Swartzie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well. I had a pretty good morning. Stayed pretty warm given the temps were in the upper teens. The sun was out so that helped. I did manage a few relics: a button, a cufflink, what I believe to be part of the handle to a pewter spoon, a religious token/medallion thing, and a harmonica reed (third one from this site). Also, a 1914 plain wheat. The site is on a 1912 topo map.

-Swartzie

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I woud love to tut but the cold dose me in. I have had a cold for the last two weeks. So now I either get to sit at home and coin roll hunt and do my research. What part of T-town are you in....Matt

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
mlayers said:
I woud love to tut but the cold dose me in. I have had a cold for the last two weeks. So now I either get to sit at home and coin roll hunt and do my research. What part of T-town are you in....Matt

I'm from Tuscarawas county. The Dover/New Philadelphia area.
-Swartzie

discovery_bound

Feb 4, 2008
South Dakota, B&R in Montana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Swartzie said:
My only concern is the weather. It's freaking cold out. It's been in the 20's and windy as heck.

Get out while you can, and dress in layers if you do. I'm waiting for 20 deg. temps as I see my thermometer is currently at 11 BELOW zero, not counting wind chill! Spring seems sooooooooo far away.....

HH
DB

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in Tuscarawas county, Dover, Phila and Bolivar. I detect until it freezes hard, the forest is the last to freeze. Good luck and HH, Mike

C

Cappy Z.

The wind chill at the beach yesterday was near 65 degrees. But I battled it like a soldier.

M

michigan michael

I know the feeling but, I would be careful hunting public property. Frozen plugs dont fit back together real nice. It could draw some unwanted attention and cause future detecting problems for you. I tend to hunt beaches, woods, and fields this time of year. I leave the parks and schools alone until complete thaw.

Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
I got out on Dec 21st detecting. My birthday and it was 60 degrees. Snowing tonight, so that was probably the last warm day for a while (I live at 8600 feet). Went down to Lakewood, CO because I had detected at a park for about 30 min one day and thought I should go back and check it out. Only dug nickels, dimes and quarters (avoided the zinc pennies). I found a really heavy ring, a wheat penny and many dimes and quarters (only dug one nickel). The problem was that I got there about 1pm and did not have much time. I got where I was passing up dimes and just digger quarters. I did not look at anything, just put it in my pouch and worked until about 3:30pm that day. I spent the first hour or so detecting a coin and then switching and adjusting programs I had loaded in my detector. Wanted to tweak them in the field. This is a very large park. Older than i thought. There are coins everywhere and I bet, jewelry. Cannot wait until Spring. Tomorrow, as it snows, I will look at the ring and clean the coins. Oh, the only place that there was snow was in the shaded areas that did not get much sun. I only had to chip through frozen soil in one place. Good luck everyone! I cannot wait until mid-Feb. Heading to AZ to hunt meteorites. I can almost feel the warmth....

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You ever hunt Tuscora Park? I always thought about it when I came home but never have time. Am originally from Jewett, in Harrison County but in Indiana now. Merry Christmas and HH. Stay warm..

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread