Where can you get a reliable, honest review of a detector?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there any reliable sites where you can get unbiased reviews of different metal detectors? I have been on metaldetectorreviews.net but that is the only site I can find. I find magazines only give the pros of detectors and omit the cons. On here you will get so many different opinions on different machines...it makes it more confusing. \I have never tried Minelab..but users swear they are the best on the market. My Fisher CZ5 is getting up there and has seen its best days. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Im with you I want to try the detector prior to purchase just to see if It is even close to what I want. Too bad we dont have places where they sell detectors that we can test just to see if we are even close to what we want.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can go to the various web boards and check the posts by the users, I always put more stock in what a user has to say....

I did a lot of research before I purchased my Sovereign GT. I read both user reviews and site reviews. VaBeachMax had a lot to do with my decision to buy the Sov GT, he spoke quite highly of it, and he has a lot of success with it. I valued his opinion highly.....

I searched as many sites as I could find, seeking as much information as I could find, pro or con. The link below, combined with Max's high recommendation and other user reviews is what sold me on my Sovereign GT.
http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/sovgt.htm

After owning it for about 6 months I stumbled on to a Sov GT that had been custom waterproofed on the "For Sale" board here. It was strictly luck that I found the post about 15 mins after he posted it, I replied I wanted it and got it. According to the seller there were over 12 other members replying they wanted it that replied after me.

In my opinion the answer to your question is there is no one perfect site, you have to do your homework, check all the reviews you can find, check the user reviews on the different websites and base you decision on all the information you find.

Good luck and good hunting..

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Treasure_Hunter covered your question very well. He's pointed out everything needed for research. Happy hunting and good luck. :thumbsup:
Just be sure to read all of the fine print. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing you need to know about reviews from users, they are slanted in many cases. I haven't done a written review in years, but you will find that all the published reviews don't tell the cons. If they did the company paying for the review won't employ them again and the writer could be open to liability. A great review describes the features, controls, etc. They tell about a trip to a local beach or hunt they took to show how they used the features. The finds they make on these hunts are to be taken with a grain of salt, as they are close to fish stories. A good site to check on many reviews is Lost Treasure http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests

You also have to take into account the area of the country and the skill of the operator the "review" is being made. :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread