Found a mystery area on my property today.

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today, I found a mystery area on my property. It is an area the size of a cabin or garage that appears to be paved with large iron ore rocks up to fist size. The layer of rocks is about 8" under the ground. It does have some "fill" over the rock "foundation" that appears to be from the 30's or 40's. There are also a number of hand made bricks mixed in the fill material and the rocks themselves. Any theories or suggestions. I'm assuming that multiple structures may have been here. I think the spot had a garage on it in the 1930's to the 1950's. However, I can't help but think the layer of rocks is older. One corner of the area has what appears to be fire bricks that are charred. I've only got to dig some test holes at intervals so I've not done a thorough search. The test holes turned up a lot of broken glass, china pieces, cast iron stove pieces, a chain, and a mason jar from the 30's. I found a 1948 wheat about 10 feet from the area today.

I've never detected this particular spot much in the past, but have recently cleared the brush growing there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hendrix

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rando said:
Sounds like a septic field.

I thought about that but the location is wrong. The only septic that has ever existed there was put in about 1950 and is currently still in use for my home. All other structures in the general area predate indoor plumbing. Also the area of rocks is the highest point in the general area and the ground slopes away from it. A square area about 20' by 20' feet would be a little unusual for septic in my area.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
A septic field even in older sites is usually deeper than 8" Also any stones in a septic or drainfield are a lot smaller that fist size and will be in lines 1 to 3 feet wide and usually 25 to 100 feet long. Depth of the lines depends on the soil. Being there is a lot of brick and glass I wonder if it could have been a building or just a bunch of junk pushed into a hole or something. I would dig that area for sure.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
In the mid'70's and early 80's I worked for a company that installed drainfields. I had never heard of the deal with the tires. I know they have a lot of different systems now. On a job I was on a couple years ago the soil wasn't deep and the septic systems they were installing there were specialized and cost a minimum of $50,000.00 each to install. Now I won't talk of drainfields anymore unless asked. ;D

S

stefen

We once had a auto garage floor on the farm that was composed of coal cinders and broken clinkers...clinkers being kiln burned bricks...sounds similar...

Could contain enough iron to give off a signal...

Doubt what you found was a leechfield for a septic system...

OP
OP
Hendrix

Hendrix

Jan 8, 2007
Southeast Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites V3i
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
We once had a auto garage floor on the farm that was composed of coal cinders and broken clinkers...clinkers being kiln burned bricks...sounds similar...

Very interesting. I do think that the last structure on the spot was a garage and my place is an old farm.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd guess an old garage or shed.

The stones are likely poor mans concrete.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
I think your probably correct in assuming there was a old garage there. The mixed brick and rock was most likely put there to stabilize the soil to support the weight of cars or tractors, maybe farm equipment etc. I have found places like your describe on old farms and plantations. Usually there is plenty of old iron parts about. If you find some that has been formed by a smith it would help date it. There could be several layers added to over the years, so don't be shy about digging 2 or 3 feet. Neat area where your at, lots of history with the lumber industry.

KipInOhio

Greenie
Dec 26, 2009
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf Master PI, Fisher Goldbug 2, Fisher 1270, Keene 2-inch dredge, underwater ROV 75ft depth.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a similar location in Ohio, I think the property owner used this site to make bricks.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day - 30's, 40's, 50's - people had a habit of digging what we call a septic pond now - we used to call it a cesspool.

They usually were not very deep, and, to tell you the truth, many, many folks would fill them up (after they set another one up) with trash, bottles, etc, and then put a light layer of dirt over them when they had extra dirt. It's really not the same as a drainfield.

Back when I was young, they did used to put tires in it - the reasoning being (at least back east) was to create little "dams" in it, so that it had a chance to drain through and dry out. If we did something similar today, we would do it deeper, put rocks, bricks, whatever, in it and we would call it a dry well. (no tires).

It's not for toilet waste, just dirty water. (if that is what it is - and it sounds like it).

B

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread