tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Iron Patch said:
RPG said:
Iron Patch said:
What's your point? There's probably hundreds of us on this site that can do a little picture show like that. Suggesting he is a fool if he doesn't buy what you think he should? ???

PS... Impressive turtle. (I like old coins and relics)

IP, he didn't say "he is a fool". He said "you are all fools". And he is right. I own a Compadre and it is an awesome little detector. It will find things that other detectors will not. If you don't believe it, buy one and try it. It will see around some of the trash we encounter. There has never been a machine made that can see through iron, not even a minelab. But a compadre will come close. I don't know what it is about them but you can find things in iron infestation that would have been missed with another machine. It's not as deep as others, but it will find the rest of the things you missed. You just have to go slow.

And I think everybody here would like another picture show. :wink: I sure enjoyed the one tabdog posted. :thumbsup:

Had one, and a Silver Umax, Bandido Umax, as well as a Vaquero and Tejon, but I'll stick with my Explorer. (in iron too) But thanks! :thumbsup:

They say they aren't deep.

On a coin, I have to agree. They strain to get 7 inches on a quarter.

But this 18k gold and platinum ring was found about 9 inches deep.
It would air test close to a foot,

8-31-3-1.jpg

This tiny gold ear ring was found 1/2 inch from a steel reinforced
concrete deck for a swimming pool. There was a chain link fence
right over it and that bolt was just under the ear ring, and I still
got a signal on the ear ring,

Copyof10-1-4.jpg

That is 0.1 of a gram,

Copyof10-1-5.jpg

On tiny rings like these, the Compadre will air test about 8 inches,

11-2-5-1.jpg

Depth is dependent on many factors.

I never look for coins any more. To me the Compadre is deep.

Now the Vaquero and Explorer may get a little more, but tha
little buggar makes up for that.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
As much as I thoroughly enjoy Tesoros (especially the Silver uMax and earlier Silver Sabres) I can safely say that my cheap, Chinese {Explorer} detector does as well or even better in this grossly high mineralized (some of the worst on the planet!) soil - than my Compadre does, and it MOST CERTAINLY OUTDOES the Aces, ALL the Aces! It and the Compadres, F-2's, and Whites don't make all that BOING! BOING! annoying noise either. And they pinpoint a whole lot better too. Besides that the aces can't handle bad ground well at all.

For my grandkids and my daughters I bought Aces and the Chinese ones too. The Aces sit in the #$%^*% closet now - because the American Hawks Explorers work better. And.. they weigh only 1.5 pounds too. I can add the F-2 to the lot of ones ALMOST EQUAL TO or outdone by the Foreign ones too. Yes, the China ones have no TID meters but they work better, especially better than the Aces and the cheap White's. When I use them in sawdust tot lots the same is usually true but not always. Sometimes a White's Prism or Classic will get another 1/2 to 1" better in sawdust, but not always. The "Explorer" runs at about 5.5 Khz, ideal for silver, clad, and larger gold items.

The air tests are about one inch less than the Aces, Fishers, and White's, but in the ground there is less than 1/2" difference between them all, a small price for something that works smoother and better. And yes, they also cherry-pick better than the others too - with a near match coming from the Tesoros and the F-2 - both of which I used to own. The original Silver and Golden Sabers though will outdo all BUT the old Compasses for cherry-picking.

For a cheapie I'd get the Chinese Explorer ($89.99) if the child is smallish, a Compadre for a bigger kid, and the rest of the aforementioned detectors might want to to wait for the next bus. There are much better detectors for just a few bucks more. I wouldn't waste my hard-earned $$ on a Bounty Hunter.

If you want a more powerful detector then it's all about personal preference, and little more. Teknetics makes some really decent mid-priced low-weight machines; Teknetics Delta 4000 ($279).

Time for hot chocolate. Maybe a donut. :thumbsup:

LL

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
LuckyLarry said:
As much as thoroughly enjoy Tesoros (especially the Silver uMax and earlier Silver Sabres) I can safely say that my cheap, Chinese {Explorer} detector does as well or even better in this grossly high mineralized (some of the worst on the planet!) soil - than my Compadre does, and it MOST CERTAINLY OUTDOES the Aces, ALL the Aces! It and the Compadres, F-2's, and Whites don't make all that BOING! BOING! annoying noise either. And they pinpoint a whole lot better too. Besides that the aces can't handle bad ground well at all.

For my grandkids and my daughters I bought Aces and the Chinese ones too. The Aces sit in the #$%^*% closet now - because the American Hawks Explorers work better. And.. they weigh only 1.5 pounds too. I can add the F-2 to the lot of ones ALMOST EQUAL TO or outdone by the Foreign ones too. Yes, the China ones have no TID meters but they work better, especially better than the Aces and the cheap White's. When I use them in sawdust tot lots the same is usually true but not always. Sometimes a White's Prism or Classic will get another 1/2 to 1" better in sawdust, but not always. The "Explorer" runs at about 5.5 Khz, ideal for silver, clad, and larger gold items.

The air tests are about one inch less than the Aces, Fishers, and White's, but in the ground there is seldom less than 1/2" difference between them all, a small price for something that works smoother and better. And yes, they also cherry-pick better than the others too - with a near match coming from the Tesoros and the F-2 - both of which I used to own. The original Silver and Golden Sabers though will outdo all BUT the old Compasses for cherry-picking.

For a cheapie I'd get the Chinese Explorer ($89.99) if the child is smallish, a Compadre for a bigger kid, and the rest of the aforementioned detectors might want to to wait for the next bus. There are much better detectors for just a few bucks more. I wouldn't waste my hard-earned $$ on a Bounty Hunter.

If you want a more powerful detector then it's all about personal preference, and little more. Teknetics makes some really decent mid-priced low-weight machines; Teknetics Delta 4000 ($279).

Time for hot chocolate. Maybe a donut. :thumbsup:

LL

:coffee2:

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for all the reply's
the last thing i wanted to do was start a posting war
and i maybe a fool for not getting a Tesoro
but i had to look at the fact that they had no display,the type of areas i hunt (farm fields) and the depths they get
most of the areas i hunt would not have gold but there will be a lot of buttons the old flat style
silver coins and other stuff made from brass or copper
iron man and 4-h a personal thank you for your help you both gave me some great stuff to think about
and a very good reason to upgrade from my gti :)
the wife has agreed to letting me upgrade again in the spring
i am already looking to see what other people i can get out in the dirt with me
thanks again all

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
fmerg said:
thanks for all the reply's
the last thing i wanted to do was start a posting war
and i maybe a fool for not getting a Tesoro
but i had to look at the fact that they had no display,the type of areas i hunt (farm fields) and the depths they get
most of the areas i hunt would not have gold but there will be a lot of buttons the old flat style
silver coins and other stuff made from brass or copper
iron man and 4-h a personal thank you for your help you both gave me some great stuff to think about
and a very good reason to upgrade from my gti :)
the wife has agreed to letting me upgrade again in the spring
i am already looking to see what other people i can get out in the dirt with me
thanks again all

Glad we could be of help and you didn't start a posting war. :D We do that all the time, but we're all Friends here. :wink:

I'm glad you're going to get to upgrade. Wives can be wonderful sometimes. :notworthy:

Do the research and whatever you decide to go with, learn that machine and you will have made the right choice. That's what it's really all about. Knowing your detector and what it's trying to tell you. :thumbsup:

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Randy

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellently written Randy. Good advice too.

:thumbsup:

Merry Christmas to ya and to everybody else on here too.

Larry

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
tabdog said:
If ya ain't been there don't knock it.

That is just the way it is.

The real thing that gets you guys is that
I can do all this a $70 metal detector.

Like I say, prove me wrong,

Tabdog
Dude, try some decaff, PLEASE!

Nice finds. As stated, many of us could fill this thread with finds with most any detector made.
I suggest answering the OP's question rather than "impress" people.
Dan

OP
OP
fmerg

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest answering the OP's question rather than "impress" people.
Dan
i was not impressed

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
That was a great informative session. Some good ideas about the lower priced
machines. Tap, Larry and all, keep it coming. The older bunch like posts like
these to fire us up.

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear tabdog;
I am going to go out on a limb here and state that you prefer the Tesoro Compadre over all others. Is this correct or am I missing something which is not glaringly obvious, my friend?
Your friend;
LAMAR

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
TESORO compadre
lifetime warranty
Light weight.
Easy turn on and go.

In a nutshell without all that BS
I couldn't agree more! This is the only way to go for someone new to the hobby. You don't know if they will want to continue or not and many just don't want all the hassle of the ACE 250 which has a screen that can lead you astray. :thumbsup:

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.
yes sir, the Ace is the way to go. wont break the bank and will find the good stuff. all it takes is a few finds and there hooked. :thumbsup:

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
the little yellow fella the garett ace 250 or the little purple fella the new whites coin master both light wieght easy to learn to use and both have a screen that tells you what it is and how deep it is both good deals for under 1,000 dollars

FullTones

Apr 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't say enough good things about the Compadre. As soon as I "upgraded" to a "good" machine my finds fell off. Not one piece of gold during the two years swinging a heavy detector with a big box and color display. Recently traded for a "wireless" detector and found gold on the first day. Still thinking a compadre or vaquero would be good machines to keep in the car all the time and for friends and family to use.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The post was about a 2nd machine for a person with a learning disability. He wanted a machine with a Vdi. Pretty simple i think and not knowing how severe the learning disability is i would guess the Vdi would give the person confidence and raise the level of excitement knowing what they may have found and keep his or her interest.

There are many machines that are great but no single machine is that much better than the next one in any price range. Each machine has their strong points but the biggest factor is knowing the machine.

I always tell everyone to do your research and go with your gut when selecting a detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread