Great Set of Headphones

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure this topic has come up before but I have to make mention of a great set of headphones I picked up for $29 at Radio Shack. I can't stomach the thought of paying triple digit prices because that's eating into my profit margins. This set has the coiled cord and they are very well padded for a comfortable fit. Each ear has its own separate volume adjustment and on my Fisher F70 I have great tone so I hear everything my detector tells me. Its the best pair I have used since I started detecting in 1985. Anybody else use them? How do others think they stack up against the triple digit price brands?

Upvote 0

gary in idaho

May 7, 2008
I have a set of these RS headphones and they are good headphones, I believe Koss makes these for RS at least they used to. I use ratphones, they are my favorite followed by the killer b's. I'd definitely recommend the radio shack headphones for someone on a budget in these tough times.

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limegold: What's the stock number of those Shack phones, please ?????

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dislike coiled headphone cables for metal detectors. >:(

You set your detector aside to dig, and the coiled cable pulls your detector over. >:( >:(

Seems as though the coiled type dominates nevertheless. :dontknow:

Just my 2 wheaties.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many of the cheaper ones when I was younger and detectors only gave a beep. However with the introduction of tones and a practiced ear, many have purchased the more expensive headphones for the improved quality, tonal quality and comfort not counting the warranty. You have to try the triple digit phones as you owe it to yourself to get all the hobby has to offer.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task and that includes headphones. You can only dig what you can hear.

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Sandman said:
I have used many of the cheaper ones when I was younger and detectors only gave a beep. However with the introduction of tones and a practiced ear, many have purchased the more expensive headphones for the improved quality, tonal quality and comfort not counting the warranty. You have to try the triple digit phones as you owe it to yourself to get all the hobby has to offer.

Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste it swinging a detector that isn't up to the task and that includes headphones. You can only dig what you can hear.

I am with you.

I do not use tripple digit headphones.

My Killer Bs were $75, and my Gray Ghost
were $85.

They are lifetime warranty. I have a back up
just in case I have to send one in for repairs.

I do not want to be without a good set.

That, for me, does not include Radio Shack.

Sorry guys, but why get a good detector and
limit it by using cheep headphones?

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

OP
OP
L

limegoldconvertible68

Mar 18, 2009
Illiniois
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 11"DD coil, CZ-21 with 10" coil, Fisher 1265X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That, for me, does not include Radio Shack. Sorry guys, but why get a good detector and
limit it by using cheep headphones?

I am surprised, Tabdog. On another thread you had post after post telling how great a $152 detector is. I find it hard to believe that detector would be flawed by using a great pair of headphone that cost $29. If a guy wants to spend top dollar for his detector, yeah, go ahead and spend top dollar for your accessories. Personally I try to find the best bang for the buck with everything I use. I bought a detector that allows me to be on the same field with the big boys but it fits my budget at close to $1000 cheaper. Same goes for my accessories. I need something that gets the job done at a price that doesn't break my budget. This pair of headphones does that for me.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:

Totaly fantastic reply . You saved me a bunch of typing. :icon_thumleft:

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
I have been using my MXT 7 years now and have gone through several pair of cheap headphones and yes you can hear it all, however after my last pair gave out I upgraded to Ratphones after using a pair of Killer Bees a friend let me try. I wish I had spent the money years ago on a high quality, designed for detecting headphones. IMHO a hugh difference. I am afraid I could not go back, I have to stick with the triple digits. Same with my diggers, no more cheapies. :wink:

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like my sunray pro gold, those of us that have some hearing loss in one ear can adjust to compensate, matched with my mxt i can also adjust the volume, just my two cents.

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
Tin Nugget said:
I have been using my MXT 7 years now and have gone through several pair of cheap headphones and yes you can hear it all, however after my last pair gave out I upgraded to Ratphones after using a pair of Killer Bees a friend let me try. I wish I had spent the money years ago on a high quality, designed for detecting headphones. IMHO a hugh difference. I am afraid I could not go back, I have to stick with the triple digits. Same with my diggers, no more cheapies. :wink:
I find this to be the case with a lot of my purchases. I end up spending more in the long run on cheaper stuff when I should have bought top of the line stuff to begin with. I will have a new pair of detector designed headset for this spring.
Dan

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I have the AirHeadz cordless, they are expensive, but no hassle with the cord,but they can be used with a cord too, which is sent with the 'phones.

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
barber said:
I have the AirHeadz cordless, they are expensive, but no hassle with the cord,but they can be used with a cord too, which is sent with the 'phones.

Cordless :) Think you can put a link to the product and give us some comments on it
in this thread on wireless headphones? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,291351.0.html

Seems to be alot of people looking for reliefe from the cord and research by others is
difficult to come across.

barber

Jun 21, 2005
Yakima,WA
Detector(s) used
XTerra 70 Xterra 705
I did put a comment on that site, about AirHeadz, being cordless, or can be used with a cord, that comes with them.

Buckeye Steve

Greenie
Jan 8, 2010
North Central Oh.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ,Minelab
Right now Iam using the Koss ur 30s,& like them alot.
You can get them for about 50 bucks, & you can tell the difference from the cheep ones.
I mostley use them on my 2100v2,but tryed them on my LOBO ST and the sound was much more
mello.
One thing they do not have vol. control,wish they did.
Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I have and tried the Radio Shack ones. I also have my Grey Ghost Black Widows. I keep the Radio Shack as a backup.
Yes there is a difference between them and that is why I always use the Black Widows.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread