Headphones, Schmedphones

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
You know, this is one topic I have never seen discussed, but is basic to your success and enjoyment.
When I first started detecting many years ago, I liked the idea of headphones, as I had often used them with my stereo, and they are superior to even very expensive speakers.
But, back in the day, headphones were large, clunky and expensive. Meant to be used indoors.
Metal detector manufacturers seem to be an old fashioned lot, and I often think that few, if any of them, actually detect.
One of my first detectors came with a set of headphones, Koss UR30 I believe. Big, heavy and uncomfortable.
I used them once. They were uncomfortable to wear, heavy, hot and kept sliding off my head. Their black color, weight, vinyl construction and insulative qualities made them very hot. They also isolated me too much from the outside world. I would often find myself pulling one ear cup aside, as I really do not like not being aware of my surroundings. It feels very unsafe and uncomfortable. And they were very uncomfortable like that, and kept falling off.
Thus began my search for the "Best" headphones.
Sony had come out with their Turbo series, a tiny, dime size driver that was attached to a thin, curved metal band. The drivers were sideways so they actually fit in your ear to hold them on. They weigh less than an ounce, are cheap and commonly available, and even come in a "Sport" model, which is waterproof.
Another problem is, I wear a hat outdoors, usually a baseball cap. It is a habit, almost a trademark with me. It serves as a sweatband, sun visor, warmth in the cold and sunshade in the sun, to prevent sunburn on my poor balding head..
So, the Turbo style had a lot to recommend it. Very light weight, cheap, easily available, waterproof. efficient, and they even fit under my hat, which helped to keep it from shifting and falling off.
In addition, there are herds of very cheap, non name brand clones of this very popular style available.
Nice, huh?
Unfortunately, they had their limitations too.
They are quite fragile, as they are intended to be ultra lightweight, at under an ounce. Also, most electronics manufacturers nowadays do not build an antenna into their little, portable radios. The cord of the headphones serves as the antenna. It is 31 and a fraction inches long for best reception, and thats not long enough!
The thin wire would often get caught somewhere on the detector, and rip the headphones off when I set the detector down. Often, breaking the connection.
I finally found a pair of Jensens. They loop behind the head, not over it, with small loops to go behind the ears. They are waterproof, have a built in volume control, and have a coiled cord, that gives me the length I need without snagging. They are very light, and cool to wear. They are loud, clear and efficient. They do not isolate me from my surroundings. and they fit under my hate. And only cost $20.
When I page through the various detector magazines, I often see full page ads for headphones, very expensive ones at that. And they are all the big, clunky ones.
Personally, I feel they have their niche, but where is the variety and innovation in this hobby?
I am very uncomfortable wearing the big, circumnaural style headphones, as they isolate me, and that makes me feel unsafe. Whats weird here is, its not necessary. There is something called the precedence effect, where your ear "prefers" the close sound of the headphones to the surrounding noise. Your ears natural tendencies give you what you need without dangerously isolating you.
I believe the industry standard style of headphones has its uses, but not the universal usage it gets.
Another thing manufacturers could do, is put the headphone plug in the best, most ergonomical place, not hither and yon. With some, its like they deliberately designed it to be irritating and cumbersome.
Why not a small fiberglass whip on the back, rear of the detector, with a pigtail on the end, to hold the cord out and away from snagging, and right next to your ear as you kneel on the ground?
Like I said, I swear the people who design them never use them!
What are your thoughts folks?
Hugger

Upvote 0

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
I'm not fussy. I just use the light weight headphones with a jack adapter that are used for Walkmans. ?I may not be so attuned to sounds as other folk. Where a different denomination coin may sound different in ALL Metal I don't think that they would sound so different in DISC mode.

Though my detector is very old. I know the new ones have bell tones to distinguish good from bad. Would super headphones make that much of a difference?

My thinking is that detectors have the same light electronics that power Walkmans. Would stereo quality headphones "overpower" a detector. Many imponderables.

In any case I have used full headphones as well as the ones I have wound up wearing. I haven't noticed a significance difference; though others more sensitive in hearing may.

Peter

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
littlehugger said:
Metal detector manufacturers seem to be an old fashioned lot, and I often think that few, if any of them, actually detect.

LOL! I loved reading your post 8) I consider it very cool and I totally agree (I mean this). Many times some of the most brilliant people are dummer than a box of rocks when it comes to the practical. You'd think hearing the detector sounds would rate right up there ...LOL!

You did an excellent job communicating.

I made some similar comments myself on another postings. Recently one of the major distributors of all major brands told me he refuses to stock the special detector headphones because they're a rip-off. You can get all you need locally and you can buy what fits. If it doesn't you can take it back for a 100% refund (no restocking charge LOL).

Thanks for the tip on the Jensens. I need headphones right now myself.

I think most detector manufactures put so much into the circuitry that they overlook the obvious (typical of brilliance). Personally I've wondered why they don't get rid of those stupid cords and build into the detector transmitters for wireless headphones. Then they should make nice light comfortable headsets to match. They could make lots of money offering this as an option but evidently they don't need the money. Yes, a nice little multiple frequency transmitter mounted under the arm rest at the back of the detector.

Thanks.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
The best reason to use headphones while metal detecting is to increase battery life. Which they do very well. Your standard 8 ohm stereo headphone is pretty much useless for helping you hear the softer, more subtle tones of a very deep target. The better detector headphones are in the 100 ohm range. But there ARE detectors which are built in a way that you either hear the target or not. There are no "whispers" of a target that is at the end of a detectors "reach".
Besides the battery argument for headphones I use them to keep from drawing attention to myself while detecting. Go to a busy, trash filled public park without headphones and you'll have alot of heads turning wondering what the hell that noise is.
There are many people who detect in really brushy areas. A wimpy set of headphones just can't take the abuse.
I know of one company, Killer B's, that make a set of phones with only one earpiece. A good choice if you are worried about the safety of the area you're in or when in rattle snake country. My guess is there are other companies who make them as well.
But why no one has come out with a good wireless detector headphone I have no idea. Maybe some one has. I don't know.
Personally I like 'em and will always use 'em.

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Hmm,
Sorry if I gave the impression I am anti headphone. I know the good points and always use them.
I got into headphones early as one of my first detectors was a Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII. The talking detector. Man! This thing was an incredible kid magnet without head phones!
I just do not like the limited style available, and the outrageous prices.
If standard 8 ohm headphones with 1/4 inch banana plug headphone jacks are not appropriate, why dont the manufacturers adapt? Make the output jack suitable to whats commonly available? Whats so hard about that?
The Jensen's I use have the mini jack, and I had to use an adapter so it would work on my detector, but those are cheap and easily available.
You see lots of ads for detector accessories such as metal free shoes, (only $100!) Hundred dollar plus headphones and other putatively useful devices, why not something really useful?
Most of this is not rocket science.
Huggerl

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I thought the bigger headphones were cumbersome and bulky too, not to mention hot. But after trying all kinds of different lightweight models, I suffered the same kinds of problems as you. Cord was always in the way, too lightweight, one pull in the wrong direction, and there went the wires, etc.

I settled on a pair of Calrad model 15-135B. They are a bigger set, but fairly lightweight. Built sturdy, too. Stereo with each side indepently adjustable, so I can turn one side off if I want. They fit over my baseball cap reall well, and are comfortable. They also have the curly pigtail type cord which requires no adapter, and is just the right length for my detector. It stretches out when I kneel to dig, without dangling in my way while I'm swingin'.

Been pretty good for me. If you wear a wide brim hat, like a cowboy hat, they will definately not fit underneath, though.

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
This is an old thread, but apparently someone from Minelab read it, as they now have the CTX 3030 with wireless headset.
XP and Detector Pro seem to "get it" ...almost.
You can buy wireless guitar amplifiers for about $60, that plug in and transmit to wireless headphones.
It seems to me that someone is missing out on a lot of sales. Why not build a wireless headphone set just for detectors? Plug and play? Also, why not adapt the CTX sliding shaft design, with internal wiring, for all detectors? It gives the CTX a greater range of adjustability, and eliminates the wrapped wire garage mechanic look. Heck, you could build the wireless transmitter for wireless headphones right into it, all in one.
You could probably do this for $150-$200 and open up a whole new market. People with beloved and/or high end detectors that lacked these features would be happy to upgrade them. Nor would manufacturers lose on new sales, because these buyers are not buying the $700 and up detectors anyway.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was relying on my displayless Minelab Musketeer Advantage I bought a pair of DetectorPro Black Widows and it made a huge difference. The little slicks and consonants were the give-aways for tabs, foil and bottlecaps. Coins give a smooth vowel sound.

With my Fisher F-75 I like a single earpiece Rattler (also DetectorPro) but recently have been using just Phillips ear-buds (the kind with loops over the ears). Does not have the sound quality but they are light and can be worn under a full brimmed hat.

But for serious work - the Black Widows are still my choice. The good stuff is often faint. I need all the help I can muster.

Also note that some detectors - like my F-75 - use different circuitry for the display vs. the audio. Missing one is handicapping your chances.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an old thread, but apparently someone from Minelab read it, as they now have the CTX 3030 with wireless headset.
XP and Detector Pro seem to "get it" ...almost.
You can buy wireless guitar amplifiers for about $60, that plug in and transmit to wireless headphones.
It seems to me that someone is missing out on a lot of sales. Why not build a wireless headphone set just for detectors? Plug and play? Also, why not adapt the CTX sliding shaft design, with internal wiring, for all detectors? It gives the CTX a greater range of adjustability, and eliminates the wrapped wire garage mechanic look. Heck, you could build the wireless transmitter for wireless headphones right into it, all in one.
You could probably do this for $150-$200 and open up a whole new market. People with beloved and/or high end detectors that lacked these features would be happy to upgrade them. Nor would manufacturers lose on new sales, because these buyers are not buying the $700 and up detectors anyway.

First of all, my main peeve is: Why don't we have this? I have been ranting for a while on this subject. Why haven't detector manufacturers offered this? We know they probe the discussion forums. They HAVE to know that corded headphones are so low-tech. right? I think detector companies need to make this a standard item in their middle and high end models.

I have to admit that I am spoiled with my Deus. I'll be very reluctant to buy any detectors in the future that do not have wireless phones. I bought the 1/8" adaptor plate for the Deus headphone module, and a really nice set of in-the-ear earbuds, that also wrap around the outside of my ears. I have the cord coming down my back, out of the way, and once I get my volume set, I put the module in my front pocket. Total freedom. Total comfort. I can wear a floppy hat, or a cap, or a WWII army helmet if I want, and I get no interference from the phones. Love it! The blackflies will be a bugger this spring, so I'll be wearing my big straw hat with netting. Imagine how awkward that would be with a cord?

So yeah, I think detector companies need to get on the ball, and the one that gets this out to the public first will make a killing. If I were the president of Whites, or Garrett, or Tesoro, or Fisher - or any other company for that matter - I would have my development team put out a mid-priced detector that has a wireless headset. At the same time, I would also put out a module and headset that can plug into any 1/4" headphone jack. Not only would they sell thousands of detectors, they would also sell thousands of headsets to people who want to upgrade their existing detectors to wireless.

Look at the way pinpointers have revolutionized the hobby in only a few years. Don't you think wireless headphones would have the same impact? I got into detecting old-school, when there were no pinpointers, and now I can't imagine being without one. Now that I have wireless phones, I doubt I will buy another detector without them. Evolution.

Gosh, I didn't realize I was so long-winded!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to rapoo wireless and added an additional volume control. Still able to hear most ambient noise while detecting and one ear can be exposed if more is desired.
No more broken cords, snagged cords, punctured cords ect. and the fun of cord tugging when detector is set down. The carried corded backups in truck have thus far gone unneeded.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Garrett ACE350 which is bell tone. And currently its winter. I actually look forward to putting the insulating headphones on! I'll probably find an earbud type set for the summer, and simply use a big to little stereo size connection adjuster-thingy (I'm sure that's the technical way to describe it). Reduction Adapter, maybe is a better way?

Anyway, that's for your post, it's given me a lot to think about when the heat comes... I really would like to find a cheap solution to make a wireless headphone that simply plugs into the Detector. No wire to get in the way (that bugs me the most!)

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, my main peeve is: Why don't we have this? I have been ranting for a while on this subject. Why haven't detector manufacturers offered this? We know they probe the discussion forums. They HAVE to know that corded headphones are so low-tech. right? I think detector companies need to make this a standard item in their middle and high end models.
At the same time, I would also put out a module and headset that can plug into any 1/4" headphone jack. Not only would they sell thousands of detectors, they would also sell thousands of headsets to people who want to upgrade their existing detectors to wireless.

I've actually been considering a quick bluetooth solution. Since there are about a million blue tooth headset options out there, I just wanted a quick bluetooth broadcast device. I think I've found one that's cheap, but lasts long enough charged (8 hours) to do the job while detecting for a day:
A2DP Wireless Bluetooth Handsfree Stereo Audio Receiver for iPhone 6 Plus 5S 5c | eBay
Even if it's not this device, something that plugs in and makes the signal bluetooth (and is LIGHTWEIGHT) I think should get the job done.

Thoughts?

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reported problem with many Bluetooth solutions is lag in the signal.

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The reported problem with many Bluetooth solutions is lag in the signal.

Ooh, that would be a problem. It's already hard enough with the slight lag in the signal from the ACE 350... Thanks, I'll save my money!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with you - not too much about headphones, and none on the variety you can use.
I also, like the kind that hides behind, and stays on your head, below the sweatband of any hat - and they are cool to use in the summer!
Mine, a pair of Philips SHS 5200, has a friendly cord that never seems to get knotted or kinky, and has a strain-relief cord
that keeps the main cord from getting pulled out - good design features! Also has reflective yoke that is visible in lower lighting.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I make headphones (water) and detect and I can tell you if you want something better you have to do it yourself. If you check around most land headphones use the audiosears speakers...you think they would experiment and try find something better....so the only way to do it is start looking at specs, and testing yourself...

Molemann

Nov 30, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Deus, ETrac, MXT Pro, Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used the Rapoo on my etrac for years until the phones gave out. Oh well. $40 for a couple of years of use ain't bad.

OP
OP
L

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
Higgy, it seems detector manufacturers are very "old school" never seeming to innovate.
I got into detecting when Garrett's top of the line was the Grand Master Hunter CXIII. The talking detector. Detectors are kid magnets as it is, but this was irresistible! You definitely needed headphones.
Control boxes have become fancy, digital and computerized, but they still use the old "banana plug" 1/4 inch headphone jacks. They still use old fashioned poles that collapse into each other and have limited adjustment. They still wrap miles of coil wire around the shaft, like some home-made kit built in a garage. Very few models have any sort of water resistance, and almost none have wireless headphones.
Virtually the only detector that has advanced past the Stone Age is Minelabs CTX 3030, at $2500. Pretty rare air there.
If I was designing one, it would have the sliding shaft of Minelabs CTX, wireless headphones, moderate to high water resistance, and with the ruggedness of Fisher's utility detectors, so you can keep it permanently in your car and it will not cook off the multi-thousand dollar electronics.
Why are detectors so primitive? Its like putting a modern, computer controlled, fuel injected motor in a wooden horse cart.
Don't manufacturers use these things? Detecting is an outdoor sport, involving weather and rugged terrain. You aint doing it in the living room! So why is water resistance so rare, when it should be a given? You can buy R/C helicopters for $20, so why are detectorists still tripping over headphone cords? Ergonomics is known science, so why are detectors so clumsy and non-adjustable? And heavens, why do we still have to wrap 20 feet of coil wire around the shaft?
One day, the little light will go on, and someone will make a lot of money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions