Pinpointers not sure what to buy HELP

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Well I had the chance to buy a Bounty Hunter pinpointer late fall for a great price 20 bucks (new). Not sure if I would like it or not but I thought for 20 bucks who cares. It turns out that I loved it, and it also turns out that I lost it on one my long trecks out into the woods. I cant find another in that price range and I'm a big fan of Whites but not sure if large gaps in price range are worth the price. A new BH is around 50 or so , and the Whites is around 80. Also the Garrett pinpointer looks great but for 130 is it that much better if all I want to do is pinpoint? I liked the BH but I didnt like the knob that you had to adjust all the time. The whites seems to have a button to pinpoint. Your opinions are welcome let me what you think cuz I am buying by weeks end.

Upvote 0

SWEATYSOCK

Feb 14, 2008
Cumbria
Detector(s) used
Quattro
I built my first pinpointer on a circuit board I bought on the net, it worked ok but was nothing brilliant. The Garret came on the market just as my wife was looking for a birthday present for me, very fortuitous. It certainly does the business and is far superior to my home build. I have no experience of other brands but they would need to go some to beat the Garret. Bite the bullet and pay the extra for the Garret, just fit a lanyard to make sure it doesn't go the same way as the BH.
Graeme.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
you get what you pay for! get the garrett! it is great
The cheapest pinpointer is a screw driver that you insert to touch the coin. If the target is deeper proper pinpointing methods with your detector is the way to go. If you can't learn that or your detector doesn't allow you to pinpoint properly, it is time to stop wasting money on crutches and upgrade detectors. The best way to go if you have a major brand detector is an inline probe if you feel you need one at all.

OP
OP
ppratt

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Sandman said:
cntrydncr1 said:
The cheapest pinpointer is a screw driver that you insert to touch the coin. If the target is deeper proper pinpointing methods with your detector is the way to go. If you can't learn that or your detector doesn't allow you to pinpoint properly, it is time to stop wasting money on crutches and upgrade detectors. The best way to go if you have a major brand detector is an inline probe if you feel you need one at all.

I have a XLT now and thats why I felt I didnt need one before but I did buy the cheap BH and found I liked it. Waiting till Spring for the V3. I'm leaning more to garrett now. Some body PM'd me and told me some things about Whites that I didnt like. Still trying to get over the sticker price. I had a hard time going with the Bulls eye 80 sticker Price now I have to put 50 more towards the pot.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
ppratt said:
Sandman said:
cntrydncr1 said:

I have a XLT now and thats why I felt I didnt need one before but I did buy the cheap BH and found I liked it. Waiting till Spring for the V3. I'm leaning more to garrett now. Some body PM'd me and told me some things about Whites that I didnt like. Still trying to get over the sticker price. I had a hard time going with the Bulls eye 80 sticker Price now I have to put 50 more towards the pot.

If you like your xlt, you will love the v3. Back to the question, yeah the inline is the way to go, if you are upgrading to the v3 wait. The xlt and v3 use 2 different probes. I have one on my xlt and my v3.

dirtdigger57

Greenie
Dec 28, 2009
Try going to Harbor Freight tools. I bought two of their handheld pinpointers for around $15.00. They were cheap, but I have been using them for awhile and they get the job done. They pickup good signals and I have found them to be quite accurate. Runs on one 9 volt battery and lasts long. Sometimes you just pay for the name. The inline pointers work well if you can pay the price.

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
dirtdigger57 said:
Try going to Harbor Freight tools. I bought two of their handheld pinpointers for around $15.00. They were cheap, but I have been using them for awhile and they get the job done. They pickup good signals and I have found them to be quite accurate. Runs on one 9 volt battery and lasts long. Sometimes you just pay for the name. The inline pointers work well if you can pay the price.

I have this same one! I agree, it totally gets the job done. These are a a little, well cheap-feeling, but if you are careful not to drop it or get dirt all over it, it's a great way to save some money. If you want to save even more money, you can get a 12" screwdriver for about $1. Harbor Freight FTW!

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
I have the Garrett which is awesome. I also have the Harbor Freight model which gets the job done. But it can be annoying as well. Constant tuning, switch that is in the wrong place, and no vibration. In other words, you pretty much get what you pay for. But the Harbor Freight really is well worth the price. Especially as a backup pinpointer. It works and is cheap. Heck, buy three...

However, the Garrett is the best hand held pinpointer around bar none in my opinion. But you will have to pay over $100 for it. In my opinion it is well worth the price though.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman said:
cntrydncr1 said:
proper pinpointing methods with your dThe cheapest pinpointer is a screw driver that you insert to touch the coin. If the target is deeper etector is the way to go. If you can't learn that or your detector doesn't allow you to pinpoint properly, it is time to stop wasting money on crutches and upgrade detectors. The best way to go if you have a major brand detector is an inline probe if you feel you need one at all.
Sandman , i have to have a pinpointer that coin will be out of the hole in the dirt and i can't see it most of the time and need the pin pointer to find it .............. Yes i use the Garrett Pro Pointer,............

wolcottdigger

Oct 30, 2008
Wolcott, CT
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
I've had a Garrett Pro-Pointer for a year now and I can tell you it will be the best $130.00 you will spend.
It makes recovery fast and easy its well built and is backed by Garrett. When I first started detecting I had
a Bounty Hunter pin pointer and it only worked just OK, ignore all the videos on you tube that show air tests.
When you start using it in the field you will see how it really shines, the only annoying thing I found is everyone
wants to use it. I recently won the November Garretts Pro-Pointer contest and have had friends offer to buy it
but I wont sell it because I want to keep it for a backup. The Pro-Pointer uses one nine volt battery and has one
button, you don't have to tune it like some of the others. I took a lot of time to learn how to pin point with my
detector and now I'm very good at it. With the combination of good detector pin pointing and my Pro-pointer
I have gone from big messy holes that I had to fill in to nice little four inch flaps that I just flip back into place
and tamp down after I recover the target. If you have any questions I can answer just ask, I'm still a newbie
at this hobby but I would be glad to help.

Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel that a screw driver or brass rod makes a good probe for shallow coins. If you must cut a plug or dig a hole, heaven forbid, place the dirt on a small sheet of cloth or plastic. This keeps the coin from getting lost in the grass or weeds. The electric probe can then be used to find the coin inside the plug if needed. I just open the clod up. I only have a inline probe on my Sov GT and should get one for my DFX, but I probably won't because I've used a screw driver so long that I can tell a coin from a rock. When I get real picky I use my bayonet as a probe because it can jam into a pull tab or ring to pop it out of the ground. Have I scratched coins, yes but rarely, an the brass probe won't scratch coins if you don't get to energetic on pushing it into the ground.

Course most of my soil is softer that what you might have to deal with. Just try to not leave holes everywhere in the grass.

terryinr.i.

Mar 31, 2009
R.I.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace250. Tasoro Vaquaro.
Garrett pro pointer. thay are the best as far as im conserned.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vote for Garrett Pro Pointer. Ran over the 1st one by accident with truck same day I was on the phone ordering another. Great product. A&S company in CA has them for $109.00 free shipping. Just ask for this deal and they will honor it.

A&S
1-800-301-6151

Ordered 2 of them from them and am satisfied with there service.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sandman said:
cntrydncr1 said:

%

BRAVO,...I concur 100%

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I'm a Tesoro man. Don't need a pinpointer. At least not yet. :wink:

When I dig a target, it's where it should be. :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DetectorPro Uniprobe or pocket probe. It has adjustable sensitivity control, you set it to be sensitive from 0" up to 6".........The Uniprobe has a high end headset, you plug the headset into your detector and has a switch to switch tones between probe and detector, and set it to different frequency as well. It will work with almost any detector...I never leave home without mine if I'm hunting on land..........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread