Why I hunt

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
About 3 years ago I bought a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505. This was my first detector and my first adventure into metal detecting. Not having a clue, to what I was doing I read the instructions watched the video and headed off with the idea that I was ready to find gold, coins and the magical geni in the bottle. Well as you can guess I was in for a rude awakening. The first few hunts I made all the rookie mistakes. I hunted with a swooping swing, found mostly trash and became frustrated. I still did not know why I took up this hobby but was determined to keep trying until I found out. I went back to the books. I watched the video several times and actually listened and anaylized what the vidoe was showing me. I went out again and started having success. I found coins in the parks and kiddy lots and coins and a few silver rings in dry sand at the beach. I still could not figure out why I was doing this. One day I was at the beach and it was a beautiful day. I pulled up several pull tabs and some nails. I looked around me and started thinking about who put those pull tabs there and why were the nails there. The area was a campfire ring in the sand. I said wait a minute this garbage was there because people were having fun. It was then I realized I was having fun too. I wasn't there for the riches I might find. I was there because I was outdoors exercising, enjoying the views at the parks and beaches and just all around having fun. That was when I became hooked on metal detecting. I have learned alot in the last three years and have since upgraded to a soverign gt. But the most important thing is I am still having fun.

Upvote 0

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
I have been detecting since 1986. I have yet to sell one find, and I have found thousands of coins and relics. I hunt because I love the outdoors and I also enjoy spending this time with my dad (he is 64 years old and loves MDing too). He is always after me to sell some of my stuff, but I cannot bring myself to. I also love the mystery and history behind finding lost treasure.
Dan

OP
OP
T

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Since I got the soverign gt my finds have gone way up. I generally hunt the beaches and now hunt the wet sand before the dry and have started finding gold rings and many other things in the wet sand. Love the gt. Ted

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Of course, it doesn't hurt the answer to that question, if you've found a $20 gold piece or two also :)

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
If only you could visit the past. For me standing in the middle of an old block of homes no longer hardly a clue left from them ever being there,finding,what most people would regard as junk, a piece of the past,then rushing home to clean and research what it was.What things looked like,how things were ''back then''.Pretty cool stuff to me!

grafter

Feb 21, 2009
yelm wa.
Detector(s) used
xlt
i have to jump in here and say i have a brother that doesn't get it.he keeps asking me if i have made any money mding.i tell him that it is a hobby and he laughs at me.he thinks if you cant make money at what your doing its not worth it.i guess he needs to get a life!!!

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
grafter said:
i have to jump in here and say i have a brother that doesn't get it.he keeps asking me if i have made any money mding.i tell him that it is a hobby and he laughs at me.he thinks if you cant make money at what your doing its not worth it.i guess he needs to get a life!!!

No different that those that spend thousands of dollars on season tickets to watch a sports team. You get absolutely nothing with the sports tickets, other than an inflated Visa bill and a ticket stub.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
Like everyone else hoping to find that gold fortune. I got my first md about 10 yrs ago. And found out I didn't have a clue what I was doing.
I never did find any gold until this year. With several different md's and a lot of learning I have found a detector that not only am I comfortable with but my better half also has one for herself.
We just cashed in this years gold and silver finds keeping the best with diamonds in them for a nice total of $1583.00. Clad for the year was just over $400.00.
PB130008.JPG
PB130012.JPG
PB130003.JPG
But the best part of hunting for us is just being able to spend time together and relax while having fun. Finding something good just puts the icing on the cake.

Happy Hunting
Joe

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Why I hunt.... hrm. Intense curiosity and enjoying a bit of reward for my effort.
I'd love to get onto a small fortune but mostly I'm statisfied with picking up those
small things people have left behind and forgotten. Coins help me to date a place
and give me something of a perspective on the area I'm looking at~ History.
Its always nice to find a coin and think about who might have lost it or why. With
old stuff its like touching the past, with new stuff its like a detective story. I can
see where people have walked in the past, look at an old tree or old city side walk
and picture what may have gone on there. A large scatter of coin on a field can
evoke a picture of kids playing or people sleeping under the trees. Looking at the
architecture of an area and playing guessing games about what may be just under
the lawn, gravel or caught up in the edge of a sidewalk. Figuring out if an area
has been hunted. And when I find others of the rare breed Detectorist its nice
to have a chat or go on a hunt with company.

It gets me out of my house, out of my mind, and lifes daily problems.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread