Seeking a link , that compares top brand detectors head to head for depth /coins

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you done tests like this or do you know of a kind of consumer guide to
detector depth on coins , Id be interested to see comparisons for all out depth on
common silver dime or quarter between -- Minelab , Fisher, Whites, Garrets, and Tesoro.
Your insights are most welcome ! Argentium.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some tests of this, but they are worthless comparisons. The tests don't take into effect settings, ground conditions, or even the various quality issues of even the same detector model. The best you can do is compare features that may or not be important to you. How do you know that the author of such a test isn't a shill for a certain manufacturer? An don't think this hasn't happened.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sandman is right. People have done such charts in the past, but they are next to worthless. For example, I can think of a machine, which could certainly be on their, which would ...... in an air test (or even a staged ground test, for that matter) be able to get a dime at perhaps a ft. (depending on how cranked up you wanted to put it). But it becomes next to useless if everything else in the ground sounds exactly the same (disc. practically worthless after 5"). And perhaps that machine could only do the dime at 1 ft. in mild soil. The list goes on and on of why these tests have WAY to many variables to be useful.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sandman & Tom_n CA .... are right don't waste your time with worthless test's & chart's like that.....................

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you truly want to compare detectors, here is a simple way to do so.

Use this forum and several others to do this test. Go see what people are finding with each different machine/brand. But, when doing this, don't do it by all finds. Only look at posts made by people who are hunting heavily hunted, public parks. This will separate those that talk the talk about their machines and those that walk the walk. Any machine can find a 5" silver dime in a virgin yard or farm field that gets plowed every year. You need to look at the machines that are finding those elusive silver coins in places that have been detected for the past 40 years. If you do this with no bias, you will see a noticeable difference in machine performance.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
bscofield6, great answer. And before I even glanced over to your profile column, to see what machine you listed there as your own, I was already guessing what type you use :)

True: there is not doubt even the CHEAPEST machine can find a dabloon as long as it's an easy target (ie.: virgin sites or whatever). But when you pit multiple machines, in a competitive environment (worked out parks, or worked out CW sites, or whatever) and a single brand/type tends to always emerge as the one "bringing home the goodies", you eventually have to conclude that there is something going on there :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread