Recommend a good detector?

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I know this is a loaded question....lol

Im not a newbie but it has been a decade since I was into metal detecting for placer gold. I used a Fisher Gold Bug II (on loan) for a while and found a few (very small) pickers but not much.

Then I bought a Minelab SD 2100. Maybe it was a 2200? Cant remember for sure. Anyway whenever I used it all I could get was the 60 cycles a second going through the power lines, especially when I pointed the coil in the general direction of a power line. I finally got it out in the boonies where there was no power lines in a mile or so and was finding pieces of metal three and four feet down. That quickly got old.

I'm sure I would have gotten better at it had I had the time but a divorce caused me to give up all my hobbies and concentrate on getting custody of my kids. I sold the SD and used the money to pay part of my lawyers fees.

Anyway to the point of this post.

I'm looking for a good reliable coin metal detector. One that has a good ID feature.

I'm sure there are a lot of good models out there but most of the ones I remember are probably almost antiques by now.

I remember the Radio Shack stuff was crap 15 years ago. I wonder if that is still the case.

Anyway all recommendations would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get lots of answers to this question. :laughing7: Welcome back to the hobby. :hello:

Yes Radio Shak detectors are still toys and suggest you stick to the major brands like Tesoro, Garrett, Whites, Fisher and Minelab and stay away from the Chinese brands. I am not a big fan of target screen detectors even though I use my DFX on occasion. Tesoro is the only brand that offers a Lifetime Warranty if you ever need it, and many never do.

Good Luck,
Sandman

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
For coins I like the Tesoro Deleon or Cortes. Another great choice is the Whites M6, which my girlfriend has and loves. I had a high end detector of another manufacturer, switched to Tesoro and love them. Light, simple, effective and lifetime warranty. The M6 I believe has a 2yr warranty, is simple and very effective. Hope this helps.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you're just getting back into it and have a limited budget, the best for the money would
have to be the Ace 250. Hands down the best for the money

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread