Detecting mines from WW2 in Denmark (lots of pics, eeek bandwith)

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009
I am new to this forum and have never found a coin, still waiting for my Explorer xs which will be here in 2 days...but:

I was on a mineclearing survey in 2008 in Denmark where i live. We were tasked to asses how many mines were left by the germans from WW2 and what condition they were in.
The area was closed to the public but there had been cows grasing there for a few years, so it was "assumed" that the mines were safe since no cows had died......
The idea was that enough sand had blown over them so that preassure would not set them off.Unless someone was stupid enough to dig them up...
The Danish goverment wanted to be sure.......thats where we came in the picture.
90% of the mines laid there was made of either concrete or wood to save material (a few even glass). Germany was losing the war when they laid them and had no metal to spare.
We were to detect the metal in the detonators which were brass and iron. The casing to the detonators were made of bacalite (old kind of plastic) and therefore undetectable.
we dug more than a 100 mines in 8 weeks, these are a few of the pictures from then:
Me on the left with most of the guys. we are inside one of the cleared areas. They are not wearing too much eyeshadow. thats just me protecting their privacy:)

Attachments

• Billed1a.jpg
    Billed1a.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 952
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009
Re: Detecting mines from WW2 in Denmark (long and updated)

A German anti-tank mine named "Teller minen". It seems quite rusty and harmless, but explosives usually dont grow bad over age, and if it does it usually just gets more unstable so
we are not taking any chances when we open it.

Attachments

• billed2a.jpg
    billed2a.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 8,913
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

See?! it looks nice and clean. thats the detonator sticking up. The good news is the take more than 300 pounds to set of.....IF they are in new condition:)

Attachments

• Billed3a.jpg
    Billed3a.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,091
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

This is an anti personell mine called a stok mine. When laid they look like a coke can on a stick with a small stick (the detonator) sticking out on top. this detonator only takes 15 pounds to set off (when new) They are made from rebar (thick iron wire) re-inforced concrete(!) and you will see more of this kind of mine in the following photos.
the bottle laying beside the mine is a Carlsberg from 1943 according to the stamp at the bottom of it. One of the guys were a collector and practically jumped me begging for it when i told him what i had unearthed. He got it, so dont ask :)

Attachments

• billed4a.jpg
    billed4a.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 970
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

when digging up mines we carefully approached them from the side of the signal since this is safest. poking a thin aluminium stick into the ground infront to see if there is contact. If there is no contact we take away another slice of dirt untill we feel resistance.....then we go slooooow.
This one however would have had the detonator pointing right at me if it had still been in. you can see the small hole where it could/should have been. Feel free to comment on my "plug" hole.

Attachments

• billed5a.jpg
    billed5a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 994
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

Normally there is a big safety distance when the mine is unearthed, but when something interesting is uncovered EVERYone gathers to have a look. this one is being marked with GPS....hes not poking it.
Me on the left again. The vest would do me no good at all in this circumstance. Explanation 3 pics down.

Attachments

• ny.jpg
    ny.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 952
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

This wooden box would probably have most of you thinking PIRATE TREASURE!!

Attachments

• billed8a.jpg
    billed8a.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,729
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

But when you see the hook and line used to open it and us running 200 yards away behind a hill to pull the string....you would probably guess its not coins in there.

Attachments

• billed9a.jpg
    billed9a.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,173
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

yup! thats 12 pounds of explosives packed into a wooden box to make an anti tank mine.luckily we didnt find more than one of these since 12 pounds is WAY too much to survive, even with all the protection gear in the world.

Attachments

• billed10a.jpg
    billed10a.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,261
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

This is a small wooden box....are we learning yet?

Attachments

• billed11a.jpg
    billed11a.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,008
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

Goooood boy. You saw the detonator sticking out of the side of this nasty anti personell mine. the wood is so soft its allmost impossible to get the mine up with the wood still on.

Attachments

• billed12a.jpg
    billed12a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 910
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

This is one with the wood all rotted away. The white stuff is the explosives and you can maybe see the detonator sticking out 2in. on the left side. Nice plug hole again, better have some room to work with.

Attachments

• billed13a.JPG
    billed13a.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 961
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

WEEEE! cache find! a cluster of "cleared" personell (stok) mines and detonators in front. When the war was over, some were just dismanteled and mines+ detonators were laid in a hole and burried.
Better get those up again.

Attachments

• billed14a.jpg
    billed14a.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 931
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

Me scanning the last lane of the job.

Attachments

• billed14b.jpg
    billed14b.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 859
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

Detonators found.

Attachments

• billed15a.JPG
    billed15a.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,018
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

The detectors we used were passive detectors so they were not sending signals into the ground. how is that for a carry case? :)

Attachments

• billed16a.jpg
    billed16a.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 759
OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

area seen from above and the north. then south. We surveyed app 7 % of the area n the 8 weeks there.
all this might sound a bit dangerous but we havnt had any fatalaties connected to mineclearing in Denmark (had some outside though)
As the chief said: We have no bad mineclearers here for long.

Attachments

• nord.JPG
    nord.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 751
  • syd.jpg
    syd.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 736

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO

Great stuff, Ahab. Definately digging for pro's only. Over here we get real excited if we unearth an unfired rifle cartridge.

OP
OP
A

Ahab

Dec 26, 2009

Thanks for the nice comments you two.
You are right swede: very exciting digging ;D when you know there is "something" infront of you and you poke that alu stick into the ground infront of you and it suddenly stop on something hard with a "tick" you can hear its metal or concrete and your blood freezes everytime. Great job if it wasnt for the travelling.
I hear most treasurehunters complain about people going too fast over the ground or too much digging. I dont think that will be the problem for me.
My problem will be moving around without without well defined borders around my area. (am i on the right or the WRONG side of the minestrip now??!) :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread