The effect of frozen ground and detecting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to determine frozen ground, where? All ground is not the same regardless of the temperature. Frozen ground has moisture in it and moisture enhances the signal due to a larger halo. :read2:

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends how frozen....do you need a chisel to break the upper crust of the frozen tundra?

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
The ground here has been frozen for a while. I don't see that it would make a big difference finding targets, but I don't detect in the winter. Would be very difficult to chisel out a coin, not worth it to me. I'll wait till spring.

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price don’t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting topic even years later, moisture in ground then frozen will open up the ground in some small way expanding the word, locating and digging in hard ground yes is hard, best place is in wooded areas the ground isn’t frozen tundra and easier to dig, thanks

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am searching for large targets using my PI in winter time quite a lot, due to low vegetation which makes navigateing the 1.2m x 1m frame coil a lot easier. The crust gets usually frozen up to 1/2m rarely more, ofently less. I have never noticed any difference in detection depth, dough. The low snow (som 10cm) doesn't matter much either, unless it reenders the area unaccesible. The low temperatures, however, might reender the batteries temporary unusable.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hereabouts the frozen ground does not seem to matter. Wet soil is usually a bit favorable to dry, and frozen is more likely "wet".

Digging is the problem. Not worth ruining a potentially nice coin by smashing away at the hole with a pickaxe.

Also 18" of snow cover can spoil the fun as your signal hardly reaches the ground.

NowandThenTreasures

Jul 23, 2014
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5+ years ago I took my old Garrett Ace 350 out in below zero temps in heavy snow after my mother in law slipped on the ice in the dark and lost her apartment & car keys. I found the keys buried in the snow the next day no problem with my detector. I was curious how the detector would work in harsh conditions and it worked just fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread