Looking for a new coil for Minelab Explorer II

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Folks,
I bought a Minelab Ex. II on E-bay about two years ago. I used to hunt with Capn SE in SoCal (haven't seen him on the forum for a long time) but now live in PA. He was the silver magnet in the area for sure. I would often be unable to hear silver coins still in the ground on my II that he had found with his SE. Since the detectors are similar we began to look more closely at my detector and discovered that my coil was an Explorer 1000 not an Explorer 1050 as most Ex. II's have on them. I have had a growing sense that my coil is inferior (especially in trash) and want to get a new coil. Actually, I'd like to get two coils: one as a basic/all-around coil and a larger one which will go deep. I am asking for your insights for good coils: type, cost, where you got them. Please let me know how deep you have found things (please be conservative/realistic in your depths) and how easily you can differentiate between targets. Also, any other insights or tips.
I have a phenomenal location to hunt once the snow melts. It dates from the late 1800's to the present. I've already found numerous buffs and a V nickel. I also managed a Walking Liberty Half, many wheats and other relics. I have some new leads, based on research, of some better spots on this property that I can tell will have some coins. I have permission to hunt the entire 180 acres. I want to be ready to go in March when the ground reappears. I'd appreciate your insights.
Peace,
Turtleman

Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll guarantee you it's not the coil as long as it's working 100%. The early coils are the same, just went to black for the Explorer II. If you would have done very thorough testing you would have figured out why your weren't seeing his targets, but it ain't the coil! I would never trade away my explorer II with the first type white stock coil for an SE with the pro coil.

It's too bad you didn't figure out what the issue is because unless your coil is bad a new coil won't fix it. Minelab coils do go bad a lot! (and many people don't even know it and keep using them)

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Iron Patch,
Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps the coil is not working properly. Capn SE set my Explorer up identical to his (every single setting was the same) and it would not indicate a silver coin where he had found one. However you want to slice it, something was going wrong. Since the program was identical and there isn't that great a difference in capability of an SE and Ex. II I have to believe the coil is trash. Capn SE was suspicious of the coil, too.
Anyway, has anyone else used an Ex. 1000 coil? Any thoughts on its ability compared to the 1050? Also, any suggestions on a new coil to get? Put it this way, when my Ace 250 can find a coin that the Ex. II does not see there is a problem.
T-man

SWEATYSOCK

Feb 14, 2008
Cumbria
Detector(s) used
Quattro
just ordered an SEF 12 x 15 for my quattro, not gonna get it till next week but will let you know how it goes. been following the interest on these coils for a while, good and bad and was asked what I would like for up and coming birthday hence the purchase.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtleman said:
Iron Patch,
Thanks for your thoughts. Perhaps the coil is not working properly. Capn SE set my Explorer up identical to his (every single setting was the same) and it would not indicate a silver coin where he had found one. However you want to slice it, something was going wrong. Since the program was identical and there isn't that great a difference in capability of an SE and Ex. II I have to believe the coil is trash. Capn SE was suspicious of the coil, too.
Anyway, has anyone else used an Ex. 1000 coil? Any thoughts on its ability compared to the 1050? Also, any suggestions on a new coil to get? Put it this way, when my Ace 250 can find a coin that the Ex. II does not see there is a problem.
T-man

The difference..... the sticker. I knew they changed but wasn't sure the number had. It was Minelab probably making the correction because it is a 10.5" coil. (and always has been)

What did Capn SE say whenever he tried your detector with his settings? (was it just for that one target?) I actually remember him from another forum quite a few years back so he must have had one of the earlier explorers. What you should have done is give both detectors up to him for 20 minutes and switch the coils if needed to figure it out. A user can easily get used to a badly working explorer and keep using it, but when someone goes from good to bad it's very obvious right away. In my experience bad coils make a lot of noise but tend to still detect pretty decent. I was very unlucky last Summer/Fall with two of the black stock coils going bad and even though they were a pain to listen to, they were still reacting to targets very well. With the little bit of info. you have it's pretty much impossible to tell what is going on.

PS... If you didn't do a factory reset and try the target again it could be as simple as that. It's pretty common for an explorer to get a little messed up and need to be reset again to clear it up.

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
What did Capn SE say whenever he tried your detector with his settings? (was it just for that one target?) I actually remember him from another forum quite a few years back so he must have had one of the earlier explorers. What you should have done is give both detectors up to him for 20 minutes and switch the coils if needed to figure it out. A user can easily get used to a badly working explorer and keep using it, but when someone goes from good to bad it's very obvious right away. In my experience bad coils make a lot of noise but tend to still detect pretty decent. I was very unlucky last Summer/Fall with two of the black stock coils going bad and even though they were a pain to listen to, they were still reacting to targets very well. With the little bit of info. you have it's pretty much impossible to tell what is going on.

PS... If you didn't do a factory reset and try the target again it could be as simple as that. It's pretty common for an explorer to get a little messed up and need to be reset again to clear it up.

Iron Patch,
Yeah, he tried it numerous times and said something was wrong with it. He was not one to lend out his equipment so we never swapped gear/coils. He really took good care of his stuff. He found over 600 silver coins about three years ago if I remember correctly.
How do you do a factory reset? Will this can my program as I have it manually adjusted at this point?
Thanks for the info.
T-man

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turtleman said:

Iron Patch,
Yeah, he tried it numerous times and said something was wrong with it. He was not one to lend out his equipment so we never swapped gear/coils. He really took good care of his stuff. He found over 600 silver coins about three years ago if I remember correctly.
How do you do a factory reset? Will this can my program as I have it manually adjusted at this point?
Thanks for the info.
T-man

When you turn on the unit hold the power button in for several seconds and wait until you hear the detector start to play the tune. You'll know by the sound and screen it is resetting. (unplug the cable into the control box and plug in again before you do it) It will put the detcetor back to factory presets so you should write all your settings down if you aren't sure. This is very likely to be the cause of your problem as I run into HAVING to do it about once a month when for some reason my detetor gets wacky. I probably have close to 9 years using an explorer so when something is up I can usually tell pretty quick.

PS... Just in the guests I've had over the years two were using explorers that were messed up and didn't know it. Once I did the reset (and tried my settings to make sure) everything worked fine.

OP
OP
T

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
When you turn on the unit hold the power button in for several seconds and wait until you hear the detector start to play the tune. You'll know by the sound and screen it is resetting. (unplug the cable into the control box and plug in again before you do it) It will put the detector back to factory presets so you should write all your settings down if you aren't sure. This is very likely to be the cause of your problem as I run into HAVING to do it about once a month when for some reason my detector gets wacky. I probably have close to 9 years using an explorer so when something is up I can usually tell pretty quick.

PS... Just in the guests I've had over the years two were using explorers that were messed up and didn't know it. Once I did the reset (and tried my settings to make sure) everything worked fine.

Thanks, Iron Patch. I'll give the factory reset a try. I have the perfect site to try it this weekend. Unfortunately, my wife's grandma died today so we are heading across the state for the funeral. There is an old church revival grounds near there that I have permission to hunt where I found a 44 Washington and 6 wheats (all 2 inches or less) in 30 minutes of hunting last time we visited. I am pretty sure it is a virgin area. Since then, my mom has told be about some good spots on that property to find coins. I'll be taking the Explorer along.
Peace,
T-man

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread