Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    133 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

My biggest problem metal detecting is...................?

Just wondering what bothers you most about MDing? My biggest problem is that me and my detector become overwhelmed by the amount of shallow trash targets. I know some of those targets are good but when there's one every two inches there's no way to dig 'em all as many have suggested. I tried it once and after spending over an hour in a foot square area I found a couple of clad cents and ten times more trash! What bugs you most when your are detecting? Monty
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    266 times

Re: My biggest problem metal detecting is...................?

My problem is always having to drag home all the gold and silver I find.....No matter what vehicle I take, its never big enough......LOL....okay...waking up now.....

My biggest problem is myself...I get sidetracked...go to an old site, hit a few digs and then find a pottery peice and start digging there and pretty soon I have a jeep full of old bottles,pottery,iron wheels, buckets of I-dont -knows .........and I still didnt hit the spot I originally set out to dig.....
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    124 times

My biggest problem is too many sites, believe it or not.... I spend the winters doing research and generally have too much to "hit" for the next year. I never get around to getting them all, even though we get out at least every week. Probably why I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to info on sites, I know I'll never get to them all..... LOL!

us
    Random chance seems to have operated in our favor

Oct 2004
    Oklahoma
    42 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro
    My biggest problem is too many sites, believe it or not.... ? I spend the winters doing research and generally have too much to "hit" for the next year. I never get around to getting them all, even though we get out at least every week. Probably why I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to info on sites, I know I'll never get to them all..... LOL!
    I agree. Never enough time. Tick tock.

Sep 2005
    Minnesota
    Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
    Metal Detecting

I'd have to say explaining the hobby to those that have never been exposed to it. Usually have about a 50/50 shot of getting one of those looks that says, "don't you have anything better to do with your time?" coupled with an eye roll.

But you never know what reaction you'll get.
    GADGET AVATAR CREATED BY MIGHTY AP

Kentucky Kache

Good cache spots are owned by too many grubbers who don't want you on their land. I can understand them to a degree, but, man it can get frustrating.

Aug 2005
    Eastern UP, Michigan
    42 times

My biggest problem is... there is nothing old out here in Arizona. Yeah, yeah, yeah... Spanish gold, I know, I know. I grew up hunting relics in Georgia, not hunting treasure. The chances of my me finding a grand CSA buckle are much, much better than finding a buried cache of Spanish gold. This city that I live in wasn't anything more than an Apache watering hold in 1900. I used to find wheat pennies by handfulls, now if I find a wheatie it goes in a frame!!! The only good side of things is that my chances of finding a gold half eagle, eagle, or double eagle are pretty good. All the mines and smelters out here paid their payroll in gold. I have been at this a while out here, and the oldest coin I have found is a 1940 nickel. I guess I could take to hunting meteorites.

Gosh, I really miss Georgia!
    Garrett 2500 Pro, Cobra Beach Magnet, Bullseye 140mm, and a Magnet on a stick.

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    58 times

Greedy landowners who follow me into the field and watch my every move. When I dig a target, they'll be right their on top of me waiting for me to pull the trinket from the ground. I showed one old man a silver quarter I dug, he looked it over and stuck it in his pocket!

I normally complain of low batteries and go somewhere else when this happens.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    31598 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

At the Risk of sounding conceited,

MY Biggest Problem Detecting is Trying to Decide Which site to go next.

I research all Winter, Every Winter, And I have More Plans for More Sites, then
    I could do in Several Lifetimes.

When Spring Comes, I'll be Thinking "This one" ? or "That one" ?
    "OR Maby I should do that one"

ZumbroKid

The one that really gets me mad is getting out to hunt and then having to take a leak. I hunt in the city! You have to develope some real skills to continue to hunt in the open.

bk
    us
    Seeker of Fortune

Jan 2005
    SE Minnesota
    Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
    60 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Free,
    Just find yourself a secluded parking meter and go there.

us
    Dec 2004
    Florida
    Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
    58 times

Quote Originally Posted by Free 2 Dtect
    The one that really gets me mad is getting out to hunt and then having to take a leak. I hunt in the city! You have to develope some real skills to continue to hunt in the open.
    Free, this may be your salvation: www.sneakyleaker.com

rusty nails

time.

us
    Tesoro Cibola

Jul 2005
    Massachusetts
    Tesoro Cibola
    8 times

Mosquitos and Poison Ivy

us
    Oct 2005
    Northern, Michigan
    willow stick
    143 times
    eating

Quote Originally Posted by Monty
    My biggest problem is that me and my detector become overwhelmed by the amount of shallow trash targets.?
    This is one reason I selected the Tesoro DeLeon. It's simple but amazingly accurate meter gets me past those shallow junk signals.

I just check the depth of targets and sort-out those shallow pennies, clads, and other junk. To me, modern coins are almost as worthless as pulltabs. I have low back problems and must limit my bending. That clad and zinc is easily sorted out with the DeLeon. Pulltabs and foil all are easy to ID.

I luv my DeLeon!

HH
    "Everything is an anomaly" Michigan Badger

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links