My biggest problem metal detecting is...................?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what bothers you most about MDing? My biggest problem is that me and my detector become overwhelmed by the amount of shallow trash targets. I know some of those targets are good but when there's one every two inches there's no way to dig 'em all as many have suggested. I tried it once and after spending over an hour in a foot square area I found a couple of clad cents and ten times more trash! What bugs you most when your are detecting? Monty

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My problem is always having to drag home all the gold and silver I find.....No matter what vehicle I take, its never big enough......LOL....okay...waking up now.....

My biggest problem is myself...I get sidetracked...go to an old site, hit a few digs and then find a pottery peice and start digging there and pretty soon I have a jeep full of old bottles,pottery,iron wheels, buckets of I-dont -knows .........and I still didnt hit the spot I originally set out to dig.....

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My biggest problem is too many sites, believe it or not.... :'( I spend the winters doing research and generally have too much to "hit" for the next year. I never get around to getting them all, even though we get out at least every week. Probably why I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to info on sites, I know I'll never get to them all..... LOL!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Jeffro said:
My biggest problem is too many sites, believe it or not.... :'(? I spend the winters doing research and generally have too much to "hit" for the next year. I never get around to getting them all, even though we get out at least every week. Probably why I'm pretty easygoing when it comes to info on sites, I know I'll never get to them all..... LOL!

I agree. Never enough time. Tick tock.

Gadget

Sep 10, 2005
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have to say explaining the hobby to those that have never been exposed to it. Usually have about a 50/50 shot of getting one of those looks that says, "don't you have anything better to do with your time?" coupled with an eye roll. ::)

But you never know what reaction you'll get.

K

Kentucky Kache

Good cache spots are owned by too many grubbers who don't want you on their land. I can understand them to a degree, but, man it can get frustrating.

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
My biggest problem is... there is nothing old out here in Arizona. Yeah, yeah, yeah... Spanish gold, I know, I know. I grew up hunting relics in Georgia, not hunting treasure. The chances of my me finding a grand CSA buckle are much, much better than finding a buried cache of Spanish gold. This city that I live in wasn't anything more than an Apache watering hold in 1900. I used to find wheat pennies by handfulls, now if I find a wheatie it goes in a frame!!! The only good side of things is that my chances of finding a gold half eagle, eagle, or double eagle are pretty good. All the mines and smelters out here paid their payroll in gold. I have been at this a while out here, and the oldest coin I have found is a 1940 nickel. I guess I could take to hunting meteorites. :(

Gosh, I really miss Georgia! :'( :'( :'(

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greedy landowners who follow me into the field and watch my every move. When I dig a target, they'll be right their on top of me waiting for me to pull the trinket from the ground. I showed one old man a silver quarter I dug, he looked it over and stuck it in his pocket!

I normally complain of low batteries and go somewhere else when this happens. ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the Risk of sounding conceited,

MY Biggest Problem Detecting is Trying to Decide Which site to go next.

I research all Winter, Every Winter, And I have More Plans for More Sites, then
I could do in Several Lifetimes.

When Spring Comes, I'll be Thinking "This one" ? or "That one" ?
"OR Maby I should do that one"

Z

ZumbroKid

The one that really gets me mad is getting out to hunt and then having to take a leak. I hunt in the city! You have to develope some real skills to continue to hunt in the open.

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Free,
Just find yourself a secluded parking meter and go there.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Free 2 Dtect said:
The one that really gets me mad is getting out to hunt and then having to take a leak. I hunt in the city! You have to develope some real skills to continue to hunt in the open.

Free, this may be your salvation: www.sneakyleaker.com ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
My biggest problem is that me and my detector become overwhelmed by the amount of shallow trash targets.?

This is one reason I selected the Tesoro DeLeon. It's simple but amazingly accurate meter gets me past those shallow junk signals.

I just check the depth of targets and sort-out those shallow pennies, clads, and other junk. To me, modern coins are almost as worthless as pulltabs. I have low back problems and must limit my bending. That clad and zinc is easily sorted out with the DeLeon. Pulltabs and foil all are easy to ID.

I luv my DeLeon!

HH

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest problem is having to work for a living! Ha! Ha! Don,t we all wish we could retire at 35 or 30. Still spry enough to hunt all the time and not have a care in the world.

Really, My biggest problem is keeping a good positive attitude when detecting. I find that if I expect to find things I usually do. When I go a couple of hours digging only aluminum and trash I get down. This makes me slow down , not concentrate, get sloppy with my pattern, and it snowballs from there if I don,t check it. Mental attitude can help or hurt when detecting.

Ed Donovan

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
at the moment its finding good huntable spots that produce. i am getting better at research but i have a long way to go still.

Southcacalaky

Silver Member
Oct 2, 2005
Summerville, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro "Eldorado", Whites "Beach Hunter ID",
Starting off with a low end detector and getting used to different audible signals, the buying a higher end model having to dig twice as much, Oh well, a Learning experience, HH Art...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread