Has anyone every heard of Picher, Oklahoma?

Emileel

Jan 4, 2009
On the latest episode of "Life After People", they documented the town of Picher, Oklahoma, a town that was abandonedafter the lead and zinc mines were closed down and because of groundwater poisoning from the mines.

Is this a place accessible to the public? There were abandoned picnic grounds and baseball fields, stores, etc.

Can one metal detect there?

Upvote 0

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last time I was through there, 6-8 yrs ago. The only business left was a gas station/convience store.

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Yea, I have been there and Treece, KS. I did my master's thesis up there when i was in college (OSU). We were the first ones up there after the mine water started surfacing. I believe that you can still get near buildings in the area. The only downfall from a metal detecting standpoint is that much of the ground in some areas is covered by chat. Also, since these were lead and zinc mines, you are going to get a lot of hot rocks. Ground balancing could be challenging. The mines covered about 60 sq miles underground. Semi-trucks with stoplights down there. Mines filled with water and began surfacing in the early 80's. Government is relocating people. As a note, the existing downtown was not the original one. They moved it because of the threat of a subsidence (mine collapse) under the original downtown. If you see a water fountain that is stained orange, I would not drink. The orange stains indicate contaminated mine water. Curt

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the latest episode of "Life After People", they documented the town of Picher, Oklahoma, a town that was abandonedafter the lead and zinc mines were closed down and because of groundwater poisoning from the mines.

Is this a place accessible to the public? There were abandoned picnic grounds and baseball fields, stores, etc.

Can one metal detect there?

did anyone ever go check this place out? I am thinking of going in the spring if it is accessible

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread