Do you carry protection when you go detecting?

tabdog

Aug 16, 2008
Bryant Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre, Vaquero, Silver Sabre uMax and 2 Compadres
Hi Folks,

I started carrying a hand gun after being jumped by
a durggie in a park while metal detecting.

I already have a Davis Ind. derringer that shoots 32
auto,

1-13-7.jpg

Yesterday,,,, I saw a sign at the sporting goods store
down the road. It said;

* 5 day gun sale *
30 to 50 percent off

I just had to stop. Then I just had to have this,

1-13-3.jpg

1-13-6.jpg

Here is a closer look at both of them,

1-13-4.jpg

1-13-5.jpg

1-13-10.jpg

1-13-12.jpg

Size comparison on tha 32 auto,

6-26-5-1.jpg

6-26-091-1.jpg

The American Arms is a little less than 1/2 inch longer,
and a little slimmer and about the same height. It is
less bulky than the Davis Ind. 32 auto.

1-13-9.jpg

After I bought it, I went out and shot a box of shells out
of it. (50 rounds) I also took some 2 inch thick phone
books to compare the penetration of these two guns,

1-13-1.jpg

I got to shoot a lawyer and his car?.... lol

Here are a few bullets I recovered.

1-13-2.jpg

In the initial test was two shots from each pistol into
a fresh phone book that was backed by another phone
book.

The results were;

NAA 22 Mag <> 2.1 inches of penetration
NAA 22 Mag <> 1.9 inches of penetration
Average penetration <> 2.0 inches

This 22 Mag bullet was sticking into the second phone
book, so I called it 2.1 inches,

1-14-1.jpg

Davis 32Auto<> 1.4 inches of penetration
Davis 32Auto<> 1.2 inches of penetration
Average penetration <> 1.3 inches

According to my questionable Arkie test, The NAA 22
Mag may have about 35% more penetration.

I believe that both pistols may have about the same
amount of energy, but, the smaller 22 Mag makes a
smaller deeper hole.

I have shot another box now.

After shooting several types of targets with both pistols,
I believe the 22 Mag is more likely to penetrate clothing
and other obstacles.

Conclusion;

They are both very loud!!! (for little guns)

The American Arms 22 Mag is a 5 shot revolver. It can
carry five rounds without the firing pin resting on a shell.
That allows me to safely carry it fully loaded .

The American Arms 22 Mag with a 1 and 1/8 inch barrel
is very well made and is far more accurate than the Davis
Ind 32 Auto with a 2 and 1/4 inch barrel. I can shoot three
or four times as far with about the same accuracy as the
32 auto derringer. The action with the 22 is smooth, and
the trigger pull is nice and crisp. (no play) All five rounds
can be fired rapidly with reasonable accuracy for close up
use.

The Davis Industries 32 Auto is very cheaply made with a
terrible trigger pull and it almost takes both hands to cock
it. It gets pocket grit in it and will not rotate the firing into
the upper barrel sometimes!!! It just does not seem as
reliable as the 22 Mag. But it does what it is supposed to
do most of the time.

I am happier with my new little companion.

1-13-8.jpg

I saved myself about $25 in about 30
minutes.

I wanted a pocket holster for my new
NAA 22 Mag.

I could have got one like these for $20
plus shipping,

pocketHolsters.jpg

But, instead, I just made one out of an
old billfold that had thin soft leather. I
like it better..... It's soft leather and it
covers the hammer,

1-15-1.jpg

I know my sewing looks bad,,, but that
ain't no biggie for this old Arkie.

I know a fella that has been carrying an
American Arms 22 Mag for ten years and
loves it. I am starting to see why.

After leaving the shooting range, (down tha road), I took
a few photos out my car window.

Thought you all might like a little Arkie sight seeing,

1-14-3.jpg

1-14-4.jpg

1-14-2.jpg

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

Upvote 0

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess there is one good thing about rural maine. I have never worried about being safe here. Born and raised. Not saying the bad stuff dont happen and never will again, but its certainly rare here. Its funny when I bought my motorcycle my grandmother said your going to get killed on that thing, my responce to her is my responce here. If I die on my motorcycle or out detecting atleast I died doing somthing I loved. :thumbsup:

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Do they sell tick shooters?
Good way to tick people off.
Sry, I know it's a serious thing. Just couldn't help myself.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Garlic consumption slows down tics but still needs to be watched for. It also keeps vampires away.

It also tics off anyone that likes flashing there gun around for show and tell. I only show my gun if assaulted and tell about it when the police show up. Which hasn't happened yet. I do carry. The caliber of my piece is irrelevant to me because it can be just as deadly as the next caliber. My gun is bigger or badder then your gun is so school yard talk and that's what most of this thread looks like.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I carry one of these:

spyderco_G10.jpg

http://www.smartwareetc.com/product.php?productid=551762

A Spyderco Civilian. It's an absolutely vicious little knife made literally at the request of undercover law enforcement to use in self defense. Along with enough training that I feel confident in anything but a ranged gunfight.

Carrying a pictol would be nicer, but I would rather not scare the locals any more than I already do. :)

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most accurate statement I could make on this subject is, "I occasionally metal detect while I'm carrying." When I put on my pants, my P-11 goes inside the waistband and the spare clip goes into a Buck knife sheath residing on my pant's belt. I do this as naturally as putting my wallet in my back pocket and my car keys and change in my front pockets. No muss; no fuss.

I do not THINK about carrying a concealled weapon; I just DO. I got over the "conscience" part a long time ago. My little 10 shot, 9mm is there to use SHOULD I NEED IT, just as my 1947 Case pocket knife is in my front pocket for use SHOULD I NEED IT. I have use my pocket knife many, many, many times and my P-11..........NO times..........thank goodness. I do not carry a gun because I hope to USE it. I carry because there MAY come a time when I'll NEED to use it. It only takes ONCE to make it all worth while. This is MY choice and I do not care what choice YOU make. That has no effect on me...............unless your choice has a direct cause and affect on MY life; which it most likely will NOT.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell them "Bring it on". I have the New Minelab "Defender".

Attachments

• defender.jpg
    defender.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 156
  • I\'ll kick his butt.jpg
    I\'ll kick his butt.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 158
  • defender.jpg
    defender.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 154

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey - I have one of those!
Lots of fun. (Both.) ;D
12 ga. I got applause for hitting clay targets from the hip.
Called "Street Sweepers" they will do that.
But a short time later folks show up with pretty flashing lights and want to know what the noise is about.
Not recommended for urban parks as they make lots of little targets for MDs to find. :tongue3:

Grey

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
I detect mostly back up in the hills, mountains, and cornfields. I am always packing, just like 90% of the population in this area. You just never know when you will run into a four legged or two legged varmint.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
Deep woods off for flying insects. Rambo training for everything else.

I have been detecting for...hum...well I never been attacked in such a way that I need to arm myself while detecting. Even to this day, I carry protection for show and... don't tell because the site of a gun on a hip will keep most attackers at a distant. If I thought that the neighborhood was really that dangerous then maybe, just maybe I should get out of down town Bagdad. Oppss, never been there but I have been in some really dangerous towns where people attack other people but they don't want to LOOSE their freedom over being an ARMED attacker. Using a gun to protect yourself from a strong arm attacker can and does back fire on people in a court system. I saw some friends go to jail themselves over this very subject(shooting a panhandler).

Self defence is just that, self defence. Arming yourself more then your attacker in a RamBOO attitude can be considered extreme in the court of law. That's why I use common since out in the field and use the buddy system. Besides, most attacker do NOT want a lot of witness's around and would not brag about being heavily armed themselves.

bigwater

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Seamuss said:
Self defence is just that, self defence.
Bingo. Bears and cougars have sharper teeth and claws than I do. Those are the only things I really worry about. I seriously doubt that I'm going to stumble upon an angry hungry homeless man threatening my life seven miles deep in the forest. If I do, I'll offer him a cold grilled cheese sandwich and hope he likes margarine and american cheese on toasted white bread. The big critters don't much care about what kind of cheese is on what kind of bread and aren't picky about whether you chose "I can't believe it's not butter". Food is food, and you are food too. That's why I carry when I'm detecting. Would I carry in a school yard, or a public park? Probably not, but I can't say for sure because those are not the places I hunt. I guess it'd probably only take one or two rabid ankle biters for me to make up my mind though.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Detector(s) used
In the woods around here there are a lot of bear(Black bear) and cougar. They are rarely seen and if the deer population is average for the area then the cougar are satisfied with keeping their distance from a prospector or treasure hunt. Black bears will attack if a person that comes between the mother and her cubs(which happens in a rare occasion).

W6PEA

Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, Mexifornia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Gt, Minelab SD2200v2, Minelab ExlporerSE Pro 2
The_Griffyn said:
Since I'm currently stationed in the "great' state of California sadly I have to answer no. Only the criminals are allowed to have guns here.

What Arnold and the Police don't know won't hurt you. The hand guns I have won't fit in my pockets...but they sure will in a shoulder holster. Colt Python 357 Mag. If you are going to pull a gun shoot to kill! :coffee2:

Gunny71

Jan 14, 2009
Texas by Gawd
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most accurate statement I could make on this subject is, "I occasionally metal detect while I'm carrying." When I put on my pants, my P-11 goes inside the waistband and the spare clip goes into a Buck knife sheath residing on my pant's belt. I do this as naturally as putting my wallet in my back pocket and my car keys and change in my front pockets. No muss; no fuss.

I do not THINK about carrying a concealled weapon; I just DO. I got over the "conscience" part a long time ago. My little 10 shot, 9mm is there to use SHOULD I NEED IT, just as my 1947 Case pocket knife is in my front pocket for use SHOULD I NEED IT. I have use my pocket knife many, many, many times and my P-11..........NO times..........thank goodness. I do not carry a gun because I hope to USE it. I carry because there MAY come a time when I'll NEED to use it. It only takes ONCE to make it all worth while. This is MY choice and I do not care what choice YOU make. That has no effect on me...............unless your choice has a direct cause and affect on MY life; which it most likely will NOT.

Very well put, beat me to it.

And as far as "going old west" well, maybe we should. An armed society is a polite society.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread