Anyone ever detected Norwich CT mental hospital?

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I don't think you can. I believe it is off limits to everyone.

"The Norwich State Hospital (previously known as the Norwich State Hospital for the Insane)[1] is listed on both the state and national historic register as a place of architectural and historical significance and thus many of the buildings, grounds, and infrastructure can not be removed (or even cleaned of medical waste material) without exception from both state and federal historical authorities."

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
I saw the same show~ part of the doom and gloom series After Humans.
Without state permission it'd be a wash in my opinion. Looked to be a very
hard hunt in the state its in. Now that town in Oklahoma with the lead
zinc mines..... provided you didn't fall in a sink hole.... that would be an
interesting hunt. The abandoned town at Love Canal to. Just be in good
health if you go and wear PPE :)

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ctjed is correct. Norwich is one of the two towns in CT. where metel detecting is banned. The other is Sharon >:(

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a site like that here in NJ. At one time it was known as the New Jersey Lunatic Asylum. It is an amazing place with a ghost town on the grounds. I took some photos there a few years back with my cell phone. They are on my site under "sites and scenes".

I did a little detecting there a few years back and the place was totally void of signals. I think I was about 10 years too late. Most "high profile" spots were detected way back. I don't even hit famous places anymore.

Draskinn

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
CT, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter
Resident of Norwich CT here. Yep you can pretty much forget the State Mental Hospital it is very much off limits and patrolled by what I assume is private security.

I actually had my car brake down there a few months ago. It was like the intro to a bad horror flick driving past the spooky abandoned hospital at about 12:30 at night and I get a flat so I pull over to change it then can’t leave because the car mysteriously won’t start!

Now in a horror movie I’d be all on my own with no one for company but a psycho killer lurking behind the nearest bush.

In reality I was all on my own with no one for company but a security guy in a white SUV that came by about every 10 minutes to shine a spot light on me and give me the stink eye. God forbid he do the decent human thing and roll down the window to ask if I needed help!

Anyway.

Long story short I walked home and had the car towed the next day, tuned out it was the starter.

As a side note they are not to keen on people off-roading that site ether…

Keeping on the subject of Norwich though, would any of you actually know what the punishment for detecting in Norwich is? Is it just a park ban or am I pretty much skunked for the whole town?

I only just got my first MD this winter and well I’ve been waiting for it to get warm I’ve developed quite the mental list of potential hunting spots. The thought that my own town is off limits is rather galling!

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
When I was there years ago, they wouldn't let me have my digger. They also had this weird dress code. I had this cool jacket with lots of buckles and straps. (the 80's were fashion fabulous) The jacket made it easy to scratch my back but impossible to swing a detector.

Fathead

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fathead said:
When I was there years ago, they wouldn't let me have my digger. They also had this weird dress code. I had this cool jacket with lots of buckles and straps. (the 80's were fashion fabulous) The jacket made it easy to scratch my back but impossible to swing a detector.

Fathead
:laughing7:

I searched the mental hospital just north of my city a couple years ago and found a lot of loonies. Couldn't believe all the clad, there were loonies everywhere! ;D
Dave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread