Question

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Normally I like to stay away from parks not much history to alot of them around here and they've been picked through pretty good.Although lately my goal has been to find a gold item, and it seems like parks would be a good canidate for gold.I Dont care how long it takes me, I'm determined,and if it takes diggin a million pulltabs to do it I will!!!!........just to be able to say I've found gold! Got a question.After diggin a few hundred tabs so far,and 16 junk rings, pull tabs all read between 18 to 22 on my whites m6.But checking 3 of my wifes gold and white gold rings they read 10 to 14.Should I pass up the 18 to 22 readings only after I've pin pointed the object for pull tab size?And only dig 10 to18 lets say?

Upvote 0

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2009
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you will never know if you don't dig it. Dug 10-50-100's pulltabs a day in the park.
Hunted many parks over the years, the next guy may not find the tabs but
find the keepers I didn't dig. If your clearing an area of trash you should start finding the goods

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Toby, I have to chuckle when I read someone's "recipe" for finding gold jewelry, is to turn down the disc. and dig all the foil, tabs, can slaw, etc... :) Well yes, of course it's no secret that gold and aluminum share the same conductivity. But that's only a small part of the recipe of how to find gold jewelry. It's 99% more a function of WHERE you are hunting, that makes a difference. I can think of blighted urban inner city parks, where you can easily dig 1000 foil and tabs before you will ever dig a single gold ring. It's simply not worth it. Your time is MUCH BETTER spent going to where the gold ring ratios are better, to begin with.

Namely: swimming beaches (either fresh water bodies, if you're inland, or the beach, if you're near the coast). Swimming and sand is a natural for jewelry losses: people lathering up in suntan lotion [read: "slippery"], then jumping into the cooler waters [read: "shrinks fingers], in a horizontal frolicking position [read: un-natural body positions], pitching balls and frisbees, and the one I love most: taking their jewelry off for "safe-keeping" and putting in their pocket or shoe or whatever. :-* The sand is also a hundred times easier and faster to dig in, than trying to strip-mine the turf.

Even pool-side turf (if you're not near any swimming holes/beaches) is better than regular turf ratios. And other types usage: soccer fields, wrestling sand pits, more upscale parks, etc... As opposed to picnic turf (like around picnic tables) where people had all their picnic stuff (tabs, foil, etc...) as they ate. Athletics are a bit better jewelry ratio than eating areas. And swim and suntan type sand areas are better yet. A word of caution: some sandy beaches can also be hellacious, if they are college beer-drinking party areas, where beach bonfires, for example, introduce molten can globs, etc... Sometimes you gotta pick the right beach, just like picking the right land site.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Hello, I am new but managed to pull five gold rings from one hole on a football field. The above post gives great advice. I went to the local high school. I started on the actual sideline of the field. There are player benches on each side. The home team side had moveable benches which was nice because my detector is not expensive. I dug every target in the bench zone. In the middle of the second bench, I dug an iron/foil signal and pulled 5 tenK rings at 4 inches. Beginners luck, but trying to imagine where someone careless might place jewelry really paid off. I am going to try the practice fields next. I am going to go to a practice and see where everyone piles their personal items. Research is the key. There was a post here last week where a guy showed his athletic field finds. Truly amazing. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Toby1858

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
Yea,around grills and picnic tables at parks are a nightmare! Theres a sports complex near by with 5 baseball fields,and I've spent many a days swingin the old coil there. Dont think it was ever hunted much because last year when I first hunted there I was diggin clad like crazy,especially around the concession building,obviously.Did manage a nice little silver ring from one of the outfields!But thats all thats left really,is just vast amounts of turf,but with all the activities, besides baseball, that have taken place over the years in and around all the fields it might be worth spending a little more time there. The Pull tabs there didnt seem too out of control!I build pools for a living and in about four to five weeks its go time! and I just want to get in as much quality detecting time as possible.

OP
OP
Toby1858

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
And those 5 rings Fathead found...........thats nuts! And I bet you blew the ladies mind when she saw those rings for the first time in 14yrs.!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread