ace 250 & head phones

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Re: ace 250 & head phones

i do use them for 2 reasons, #1 they save your batteries. it takes more battery power to power the large speaker in your ace as opposed to the small speakers in phones. and #2 in detectors that have adjustable threshold, phones can give you a much better sense of subtle targets that you may not hear without them. i dont think its as big a deal with detectors that only use a belltone such as the ace. as far as i can tell the bell tones are all the same volume no matter how deep an object is.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I always use headphones mainly because I can just hear the signals so much better, especially around noisy environments such as highways or busy streets, or the normal noise in most neighborhoods. I don't have a problem with them getting in the way of digging once I get use to them. They are hot in the summer time I agree. The cure for me was to get a light weight set of headphones from Radio Shack. I found a nice pair of stereo phones with an adjustable volume control that works perfect. They cost less than $25.00 and are perfect for use with my ACE in hot weather. In the winter I use the full ear cover models and they double as earmuffs and keep my ears warm! I'd bet about 99% or the forum members do use headphones. Monty

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe

At first I didn't use phones. Last season I used them quite often. I found them great when in busy areas and at playgrounds. Most people will leave you alone if you can't hear them!!!! ;D
I also noticed battery life was fantastic. Your choice, do what you are comfortable with.
HH
Greg

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

About the best reason to use headphones is for the batteries. And as was said in an earlier post if you have a silent search detector headphones will not help you hear deep targets. Not attracting attention to ones self is another reason to wear them. My two cents.

TXKajun

Oct 12, 2005
Desert Southwest
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 750

We have winds here in SE NM that howl at 20-30 mph. Add in the sounds of traffic and headphones are a really good idea for around here. I use an Ace 250, also. When I hunt with a buddy, though, it's nice to be able to talk back and forth, so I usually don't use them then.

HH, ya'll!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions