Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go slow and get use to the tones, and you'll do just fine. Got one heck of a machine, put in the time and the rest will follow.

Mainer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy 24 beer.... The first 12 to drown your frustration, then in a month or so, 12 to celebrate having the best detector going. :thumbsup: (might have to postpone that seeing you're in NY)

Even right from the start you'll probably see the potential. The thing drove me nuts the first couple times out, but even being new and thinking I might want to hate it, I couldn't ignore what it could do. Now a whole lotta time later I have to pat myself on the back for being so smart in 2000 and making the change. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to Iron Patch, he knows his. An he is also right about maybe needing those beers, but you'll catch on to it's language. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys..I understand I need to be patient, but I know what the outcome can be...Maybe I can come join you guys sometime on hunts, i really wanna do that

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Thanks guys..I understand I need to be patient, but I know what the outcome can be...Maybe I can come join you guys sometime on hunts, i really wanna do that

Well it's a very long way to get to me but I'm sure there's someone in your area that will go out a few times.

An explorer definitely isn't a magic wand so try to look at small positives from day to day. I was the guy who didn't read the book at all, didn't know any of the settings other than the sens. which I cranked, and went straight to a field I had pounded with my GTI expecting to dig 2 foot coins. I think it was about 3 days and lots of swearing before I took a step back and realized the people who get the benefit are likely the ones who really know how to use the detector, and it doesn't happen over night. DUH. My GTI was my crutch for quite a while and that was a major mistake too. You gotta go cold turkey Minelab all the way.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, im aware that it may take awhile to figure it out...i have a small park down behind my house that will serve well in helping me get the jist of it before i start taking it to other areas. I appreciate the encouragement

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
Yea, im aware that it may take awhile to figure it out...i have a small park down behind my house that will serve well in helping me get the jist of it before i start taking it to other areas. I appreciate the encouragement

The next thing you'll probably want will be a Sunray probe.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what does that do?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
what does that do?

The explorer can be tough to pinpoint, especially in trash. The Sunray probe is expensive, but a great help. But get out a few times and see what you think.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmm, spendin more money...idk, i guess i will have to see if its tricky for me or not, cuz i still have to buy new headphones to

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I just got one too (new). Just waiting for no snow. Going to start in the back 1/2 acre. Come on Spring !!!!

Good luck.

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Yes the sun-ray is a good choice and I know a good dealer.... ::)
lol, im guessin you?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby S said:
4-H said:
Yes the sun-ray is a good choice and I know a good dealer.... ::)
lol, im guessin you?

You probaby should start saving you're loose change. :) Just the way the explorer is some targets are very difficult to pinpoint, and I probably could not hunt a park without the probe. At least hunt it and not make a huge mess, or just as bad leave some targets behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread