Wireless Headphones?

FunWithTreasure

Oct 12, 2008
I using a Quattro Whitch in my opinion is the best detector there is and I have used just about everything out there. (I even like it better than the explore se) but I was always curious about wireless headphones anyone use them? What's your opinion on them. Which ones do you use and how good do they work? What's the pros and cons of wireless headphones? Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always wondered about them too. Back in the 70's there was a lot of hype and advertising for them, but they faded away about as fast as they appeared. Looks to me like a great idea...no cords to catch on bushes.
I'll be watching the replys.

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive heard that you can mess with the tones thru wireless nice and easy like as simple as recieving a text

i say stick with wired

~MetalDigger~

Oct 20, 2007
North Carolina
FunWithTreasure said:
I using a Quattro Whitch in my opinion is the best detector there is and I have used just about everything out there. (I even like it better than the explore se) but I was always curious about wireless headphones anyone use them? What's your opinion on them. Which ones do you use and how good do they work? What's the pros and cons of wireless headphones? Thanks for your time.

Here mine, I like them pretty good. Maybe get some even better sometime, but these work great.

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
Type in the Search wireless headphones

There are plenty of comments in there
Cheers
The Cat

coontail

Tenderfoot
Jan 22, 2010
i saw a pair of rca wireless in walmart for 50 bucks. i cant find anything in my searches about them.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: :headbang:

Wireless headphones :notworthy: :notworthy: I use them...no going back :headbang:

SS

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pros.....No wires...
Cons... Needs to be recharged after about 6 hours.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rwsnc said:
Pros.....No wires...
Cons... Needs to be recharged after about 6 hours.
Wow not long :P I get forty hours from mine ;D

SS

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I just ordered Sentry HO900 Wireless Headphones from Walmart for $20. One of the reviewers said he uses them for detecting. I will report on them at a later date, with Walmart if I don't like them I can return them.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a lot more to this story on just choosing wired or wireless phones. The first set I tried had a bad lag time, so I heard the sound 3 seconds after I passed over a target. Not good. So I researched them. Seems 800MHz was good but here in the US the bands were getting reassigned so they stopped selling phones on those frequencies. Bluetooth looked good but phones and head sets were not comfortable or batteries did not last long. A UK site had some that appeared good but they were expensive. Whites tried to solve it but only on the new detector they made. Let me sum it up, " A set of phones, comfortable ear pads, with good battery life, and a transmiter that is fast to send (transmitter) and receive (phones) is not impossible". It can be done and should be around $150.00 when all shakes out.

Ed D.

golddigger14s

Aug 14, 2007
Lawton, OK
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I just got my Sentry Headphones, although I haven't actually detected with them I played a little bit in the house and they seem fine. I got some self stick velcro and mounted the transciever to the right side of my armcuff on my T2. Not bad for $20. As I get out in the field I will provide further updates.

Fleeker

Jan 28, 2007
Hohenwald, Tn.
Detector(s) used
ATPro, GTI 1500, Ace 250 and a ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out today with my new HO900 wireless headphones I ordered from Wal-Mart.com. They only cost $19.98 plus .97 cents shipping and $1.99 sales tax for a grand total of $22.94. I made a mount so I could snap it on my GTI1500 or my ACE250. Today I was using the GTI 1500 and I couldn't hardly tell the difference between them and my wired headphones. I am not too sure about the battery life of the transmitter. It uses just one 9 volt battery. I was out a couple of hrs today and they were still working. They operate on a frequency of 49.85Mhz, have a transmit range of approximately 100 ft., and an audio input level of 500mV max. If you use these on a metal detector that doesn't have a volume control, like the Ace 250, you need to use an inline volume control such as a radio shack 42-136. I found that when I used them on the Ace 250 the volume was really low even with the headphones turned all the way up until I installed the inline volume control and adusted it to about midrange. On the GTI1500 I adjusted the volume of the detector, using my wired headphones with their volume controls turned all the way up, to were the audio was just audible. That setting worked well with these headphones and I had to turn the volume control on them about midway.
The mount I made cost about .50 cents. It is made from a piece of 1" black roll plastic water line attached to two pieces of a paint stirrer stick. You can make one in about 5 minutes using a pvc pipe cutter. The snap clamp you make is attached to the stirrer sticks, one stick the length of the transmitter and the other shorter, with two #8 1/2 inch screws. The transmitter is held to the stirrer sticks with pony soxs, those little stretchy thing used for pony tails. I wrapped some electrical tape around the metal detector shaft to make it fit snug.

Attachments

• IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0188.JPG
    IMG_0188.JPG